Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-21 07:04:54 PM

Ol'random
Website

June 11th, 2022 - The Meeting between the LP & the BoM

This is the first of several logs I took a terribly long time to to post, for which I apologize.

The Long Patrol & the Band of Merchants meet at last
or,
The Leverets scare the hares of Salamandastron into thinking that they might cause an international incident (when they just stole socks)

Ciocan, the Badger Lord, & his hares: Gen. Quinten & Cot. Velm of the Homeguard, Mjr. Varus, Cpt. Gregorian, Msgt. Terrence, Sgt. Felicity, and privates Cole & Rhonwen of the Mountain Patrol.
Spoofs include the hare matron, the fox Rioko, and the leveret Julia played by Felicity, Olivia Swiftbuck played by Varus, & Wulf the mouse, Pvt. Sheen the hare, and Rowland, a weasel, played by Terrence

A week had passed since the tense day at the base of the mountain when the Long Patrol had tersely agreed to meet with representatives from Halyard, and this morning Salamandastron had been abuzz with preparations - both in hospitality and hostility. There was a chance the meeting was nothing more than a declaration of war, some hares felt, and Master Sergeant Terrence Cadwallader (with many others) deemed it prudent to prepare the patrol for a fight, just in case.

There was no sign from the sentries or word from the 23rd that the beasts from Halyard were coming, yet, so now the Long Patrol had to wait. Ideally, the meeting would go amicably, with both sides resolving their differences over a pleasant meal together, yet to Terrence that seemed rather far fetched.... Whatever the outcome, the NCO's role would be simply to observe and obey the orders of the officers today once the beast from Halyard were spotted. So he waits by the entry passage for any sound or sniff of news.

Gregorian was a fighter not a diplomat and he wasn't even particularly happy with letting any unknown element get a closer look at the mountain but he was an officer and he'd been around longer than half the dust in the mountain so he made an appearance early, tired of trying to look busy while really just waiting to see what was going to happen. He had his walking stick out as he made his way down to the entry which was really just because he wanted a weapon in his paw without looking like it was a weapon "No sign of them yet?" he called out to Terrence as soon as he spotted the other hare.

Cole frowns, he never liked it when things were tense and more so without Slaw to joke around with. Joking around made him less nervous, but he has grown some in the being more responsible and alertness mode.

Varus had recalled all his hares from the 23rd base back to the mountain... just in case. He didn't trust the leaders of the strangers in his own hometown, so he wanted to be sure all the hares under his command would be there to see what sort of beasts their potential enemy were. He down to the entry not long after Greg, wearing his dress uniform with all the medals, and carrying a polished saber that once belonged to his Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfather back when he fought for the Patrol. Seeing two of his sons as he passes, he nods. "Adrian. [Name TBD]. We need to talk latah." He continues on toward Greg, soon joined by his wife, the retired Lieutenant Olivia.

Felicity is having problems of her own.  I mean, yes, she's concerned about this whole mess with the Halyardians.  But she also can't find Rioko.  The vixen has been in a very nicely furnished cell this whole time, but today she's missing.  And, for that matter, so is Julia...and all the other leverets.  Felicity had been helping search for them, but now she has to report to the gathering spot.  In a very patched uniform, covered in dust and cobwebs (you wouldn't believe the strange places the desperate searchers had started looking in), the Sergeant joins the group from the catacombs, looking about her distractedly, obviously worried.

"No, sir," Terrence replies, giving a half hearted salute to the captain (and the major as he arrives). "Perhaps we should have tried to be more specific than after noon," he shrugs, "But too late now. Though at least we're not the one's marching through sand under the sun, eh?" Despite giving his best attempt at a chuckle to hide it, the master-sergeant rare nervousness is beginning to show somewhat.

"Perhaps, though," he begins again as the others start filtering into the hall, "We should wait outside as welcoming party of sorts. Don't let them near the entrance until we know they aren't here to fight."

Cole stays alert and quiet as he waits to see what they are gonna do.

Rhonwen makes her way to where the others are as she was busy tending to a couple things she had to do, she keeps quiet so she can listen to any orders that need to be heard.

Gregorian offered a very casual salute to Varus himself. He was in one of his smarter uniforms himself but he hadn't dug out the medals for the occasion. He was half expecting a fight though. He nods to Terrence "I'd rathah they not even see the inside at all personally but unavoidable when we're gone and invited them round for bally tea. Waiting outside with an easy retreat seems best" he says, starting to walk towards the entrance and spotting Felicity soon after "Yah have a little" he gestures at one of his ears "Cobweb on yah...well, everywhere"

Felicity absentmindedly starts semi-trying to brush the dust and cobwebs off her ears and head and clothes.  "'Ave y'seen m'sistah, oh any o' th' othah leverets?  They've been missi....oh, no..."  Because just then who should come tearing down the staircase from the upper level but the leverets themselves, with Rioko the vixen in their midst?  From the 2nd floor comes the shouts of very angry dibbun Caretakers.  The leverets are carrying bags and baskets full of what appears to be every pair of socks (clean and otherwise) in the entire mountain.  Even Rioko is carrying a basket of socks in 1 paw and a half-eaten muffin in the other.  The crowd of runaways freezes, then Julia shouts, "Through th' dinin' 'all!!!"  The DAB horde yells bloody murder and rushes full tilt to the dining hall doors!

Just before chaos erupts, a whistle had sounded from down the passage way, followed by one of the sentries. Sheen stands at attention before the officers. "Sah!" The hare salutes, "It's my duty to report movement and a dust cloud from upshore, it's probably our visitahs."

Indeed, if anyone were to look northwards, moving down the beach are no doubt the the Halyardians and their new 'friends.' The metal of their helms glint in the sunlight as does their halberds. The soldier types are on the outside of the group guarding the interior - a large parasol, looking somewhat out of place among the halberds, is being carried by one of the creatures walking. They're still some ways off but soon they will be here.

Private E. Sheen continues, "They'll be 'ere soon, I'd say, sa-. Oh." She'd just caught sight of the leverets, and in turn Terrence saw the pale look. "What is it?" He asks, turning to look.... Just in time to see the young Earlbuck disappear into the dining hall with the rest of the young hares. "SOMEONE STOP THEM!" He shouts, all other thoughts pushed away.

Varus harrumps. "I don't parleys an' diplomacy, but back in mah day we did out on th' beach well away fr'm th' mountain, wot." He straightens his jacket, then starts to follow Greg and Terrence outside. "Olivia, wait 'ere... If fightin' stahts, we'll need yer healin' talents."

Gregorian nods at Varus' words and opens his mouth to say something only to of course have all hell breaks loose. On the one side is the sentry saying the visitors are on their way, on the other side a horde of dibbuns invading the dining hall where they were supposed to be taking them. He needs a moment and sighs heavily, screwing his eyes shut. Moment over! "Get them out of there and undah control now!" he barks the order at anyone close enough while pointing in the direction the dibbuns went "Do not let them make a mess!" he shouts before turning towards the entrance "We bettah hope they walk slowly or we're goin' tah have tah bloody well stall them"

Cole steps aside as Ciocan makes his way outside where they will meet up with the group that's coming.He is stopped by a hare that whispers to him, he nods "The  young ones was found good..."
Then the fact the young ones are... well... The badger Lord frowns at this news. He nods and mutters to another Private to please go do something about the young ones.

The group from Halyard had arrived. They stand rather pointedly just outside the range of the average bow shot form the mountain, waiting. A rather scrawny looking weasel wearing the shining cuirass like the soldiers and a wide brimmed hat with a peacock feather in it steps forward, calling, "Salamandastron!" The word while pronounced correctly is spoken slow as if the speaker wishes to make no mistakes, a quality that persists as the weasel continues.  "We have arrived at the appointed time; the sun is above us now. Show yourselves, so we may speak more pleasantly, and personably together."

A small mouse comes to stand next to the weasel to wait. He's dressed rather plainly compared to everyone behind him.

Varus watches the chaos unfold, and he turns to Greg. "I c'n go greet our 'guests'," he says, as he strides through the passage, paw on his sword-hilt. He steps out into the sunlight, which glistens off his assorted decorations, waiting for the Badger Lord to address the beasts first.

Felicity looks ready panic.  "No no no nonononono!!!"  She takes off after the leverets, joining the Caretakers as they thunder into the dining hall.  However, Rioko and the DAB don't stay in the dining hall -- they actually don't even touch anything, except for those 2 rolls Rio steals.  They thunder through the kitchen, through the cellars, and out into the catacombs.

Terrence looks between the major (who seems to have ignored the leverets entirely) & the rest of the hares moving outside, and the dining hall the leverets disappeared into. "Sheen, go- go with the major, and whoever else, go out to the shore. Captain," he bows his head to Greg, "I'll be out shortly. We might have to have everything outside, I fear. I'll try to get word on the state of the room as soon as I can." Not waiting on a response (nor really expecting one) he steals himself and marches into the dining hall. He'd seen Felicity enter first, frantic.

Pushing the wood door open with more force than perhaps was needed, the master-sergeant quietly regards the hares (and fox) inside. Perhaps if he wasn't so worried about their timing, he'd reflect this was the first time in seasons he'd seen the leveret's destruction first-paw.

"What's going on here?" He asks the room at large, staying by the door.

Gregorian runs a heavy paw over his face as it seems the visiting group is already upon them "Stall it is" he waves off Terrence to agree to the plan even as the hare is already going to help out with the dibbuns before Greg himself heading outside. First thing he does is stop by the door to get a good look at them before trying to work the look of despair off of his face and joining the group leaving the mountain. He sure as hell was not going to be the one to do greetings though, he was keeping his mouth shut for now.

When no answer is given, the weasel and mouse stand patiently by. The rest of the beasts behind them, a mix of creatures from Halyard and those who came of the ships seem restless though.

"Uh, hello?" The weasel calls, uncertainty colouring his tone.

A shadow looms in the archway to the mountain, cutting off the light from above before moving into the hall. It is Lord Ciocan, he is dressed in a long flowing green robe, a stylised representation of the mountains crest of arms embroidered over the left breast. The badger pauses to look over everyones heads at the gathering. He focuses on the weasel and nods to them.

"Good day," he rumbles softly, "I apologise for being late I was in a briefing with the General," he nods to General Quinten who is looking after the chaos with a frown. He then turns his ears toward the group of visitors and inclines his head in a formal bow. He is carrying a scroll case and is in his full dress uniform.

The badger lord however moves to one side and a stream of privates under the direction of a lieutenant flow past carrying chairs, tables, fabric and tent poles. They flow back out of the opening and down onto the beach and start erecting a large marquee, a huge rug is rolled into place over the sand and rock before they start setting up the table and chairs.

Several kitchen staff then appear moving to set the table with jugs, cups and plates of snacks. The General watches this set up with an approving stare as with brisk military efficiency the marquee is assembled in a matter of minutes as the badger lord smiles at their guests.

"As it is such a nice summer day I thought we could sit outside and avoid any unplesantness over the ancient laws of Salamandastron getting in anyones way," he motions gracefully toward the table, "Shall we? I have had refreshments set up, I was not sure who would be attending when I was informed we had guests from the village so let us sit, make ourselves comfortable and then we can talk."

Velm makes his way towards the entry as well, to keep an eye on things, also it's a good show of repect for  some higher ups from Home Guard to be here and he is chief healer.

Varus nods after Ciocan speaks, and he watches to make sure the privates don't muck this up the same way the leverets in the dining hall had mucked that up. Quick thinking from the badger. He also watches the strangers with suspicion, considering it's their fault he hasn't been able to visit his own house in literally weeks. But he maintains civility while he stands the side of the badger opposite Quinten.

Actually, Rioko and all of the leverets are in the kitchen, scrambling around the cooks and tables on their way out into the catacombs.  The Caretakers and Felicity are trying to figure out the best way to get to the fox and the DAB while dodging the hares who are taking the dining supplies and food outside to their guests.  The only chaos in the dining hall is caused by adults trying to go in 2 different directions with 2 separate end goals.  The head leveret Caretaker, whom everyone calls Matron (whatever her real name may be), turns her wrath upon Terrence.  "WHOT DOES IT LOOK LIKE IS GOIN' ON??  THOSE DABERS RAN AWAY FROM US, STOLE EVERYBEAST'S SOCKS, AN' NOW ARE RUNNIN' AMOK THROUGH TH' MOUNTAIN WITH THAT NO GOOD FOX!!"  Speaking of whom, Rioko has stolen quite a number of baked goods and placed them on top of the socks in her basket, and the angry shouts of the kitchen crew can be heard as they curse the entire Dibbun horde in general and the vixen in particular.

Blinking in surprise, it seems the dining room had already been mostly empty by the time Terrence had gotten there. And there was little set up on the table, either... He isn't quite sure of the reason for the switch, but right he is deeply thankful the young hares aren't actually messing anything up. But where were they?

The wrath of the matron he receives with a slight flinch before the master sergeant regains his composure. "Well," he speaks rather calmly, "Tell them that their punishment this time will not be up to the caretakers, but the patrol as a whole - or at the very least me, and I do mean that. Good luck, but we do not have time for this, not now." He neatly steps back to the door to try and leave quickly.

Gregorian was surprised by the sudden appearance of the tent but it kept everyone out of the mountain and away from whatever chaos might be happening in the dinning room so he wasn't going to complain. So long as the dibbuns didn't decide they wanted to escape out to the beach they might pull this off. He doesn't take his eyes off of the visitors as things are set up and offers no greeting to visiting army personally, opting to stand back silently and look very serious but the plainly dressed mouse with them does get a questioning eyebrow raise.

Cole stays standing up straight with the other hares nearby awaiting any orders they need to know. He blinks slightly at the sudden flow of tables and such outside but manages to stay alert and calm.

"Good day in turn, and thank you, it is a pleasant day." the small middle aged mouse replies after moment stepping forward. He nods to the badger, not bowing like the weasel does. "I am Wulf of Dartania and captain general of our forces upon this eastern shore, and you must be the lord of Salamandastron Ciocan, no?"

The weasel follows behind the mouse, but the rest of their entourage remain where they are. "I regret there was no mention of our numbers, Lord Ciocan," Wulf says as he inspects the tent. "But truth be told we did not know until this morning. Unfortunately the mayor of Halyard could not make the journey down.... If they may, might my beasts have at the refreshments? It's not a hard march down here, but it is rather warm today and the metal does get hot.."

"Lord of the Western Shores," Quinten corrects the mouse, "Badgerlord of Salamandastron, it's easy to get the titles back to front." He smiles at the mouse and moves over to take a seat at the table, settling his papers in front of him.

"Yes, thank you Quinten," Ciocan smiled, "You'll have to excuse my hares, they manage the protocol and such. But we have little need for titles here Captain General," Ciocan says as he moves to settle into his chair. It's big, there aren't many badger sized chairs in the mountain so he has just had his chair from the great hall brought out.

"But please do enjoy the refreshments, you and yours are most welcome," the badger lord gestures at the table.

He looks the mouse in the eyes, "As the Mayor is not here, I assume you wish to discuss business between yourselves as a Mercantile group, trade with the Long Patrol and such? No one was quite clear what you wanted to discuss but since formal business between Salamandastron and the Village of Halyard can only be conduced with the Mayor I assume it is trade you wish to discuss? I am sure General Quinten has a list of things he'd love to procure if you have them for sale."

Velm nods to the Badger Lord and stays close by as the Badger Lord  addresses the group. He has his home guard uniform on and the sash that shows him as chief healer of the mountain.

Varus takes his seat at the table, too. As a hare that was born in Halyard, he wants the strangers to know he won't give up his family home without a fight. He glances toward Quinten, then back at the mouse. Somewhat plainly dressed for a mouse of his rank. The group must obviously not put much stock in decorations and medals.

"OH, NO YOU DON'T!!"  Matron moves with surprising speed (probably due to decades of practice corralling leverets) across the room to try and grab Terrence by the ear.  "We need all th' 'elp we can get, wot!  'Specially wi' that smart alecky vixen in th' mix!"  The commotion from the kitchen has receded, and a kitchen staff member comes out to inform them that the leverets and the fox have escaped into the catacombs.  Felicity scowls darkly.  "Great.  Jus' great.  I bet they're gonna 'ide all th' socks an' make us search foh 'em..."  The Sergeant leads the way back out into the hall, then descends the stairs into the catacombs, the Caretakers trailing behind her (Matron probably dragging Terrence by his ear, unless he escaped like a sensible creature).

When he feels his ear being grabbed there's a moment of shock which quickly morphs into a flash of anger. Without thinking Terrence bats the paw away from his ear rounding on the elderly matron. He sucks in a breath, calming as he hisses, "I shall remind you I am a hare of the Long Patrol and not one of your leverets which you have failed repeatedly to control - simply request help rather than grabbing my ear as you did, and if I ever hear of you pulling a similar stunt with one of my hares, I will not let that stand. Is that understood? Now, I will help."

With his back straight he marches off to the catacombs before the Matron, intending to treat the leverets as he does privates and recruits and not as young hares. "Felicity," he barks in a voice that leaves little room for argument, "Shut that door and keep it shut until they come crying back with socks in paw. There's no easy way out of the catacombs, and the dark may teach them a lesson. Besides, Dom might be down there to keep an eye on them."

Gregorian moved towards the table as well, feeling very tense as things turned very formal "Dartania" Greg repeated, he hadn't heard of the place "I assume that's across the sea?" if the guy was called Wulf of Dartania Greg assumed that was a location and not just an unusual way of saying their name. The sea seemed a fairly safe bet too given they turned up on ships "Sad tah hear the Mayor can't say his part. Feelin' poorly?" he asked casually as he reached for a drink. He didn't like to butt in to any conversation with the Badger Lord in it but he also didn't like that the Mayor hadn't come and wanted to check what reason they'd give.

"Of course, Lord of the Western Shores." The mouse says, sitting as well, across from Greg. "I wouldn't dare speak speak for the mayor Harlond, or for Halyard itself. He would not like that. However, I view it as my duty to speak plainly about our - the Band of Merchants' and Halyard's, that is - relationship. We have done trade in this land for seasons now, and with Halyard being the only port this far north, you can imagine why Halyard is important to us. It is our access to the land inwards. Naturally, you can understand why we've been so involved since the unfortunate wars that have ravaged the town. We are simply funding repairs and acting as a supplement to the town guard while they rebuild. In the end, we do intend to help extend the protection of the town and land up to the mouth of the river north, and from there help establish better travel, trade, and communication inland."

The mouse leans back in his chair. "Dartania's a city to the far south where I was elected as a representative to the Band of Merchants, yes. As for the mayor, well, he's busy and myself and him don't always see eye to eye, and since much of the issues we have suffered are between my beasts and the Long Patrol, fortunately he is not needed, even if he could be here. But about that issue- there seems to have been a misunderstanding between us, Lord Ciocan." The mouse waits, watching the badger's reaction closely.

Ciocan listens with a polite smile, "It is nice of you to help the town, it has been unfortunate, sadly those who wish only ill will on the residents of the shore will stop at nothing to damage, disrupt and destroy what beasts have built."

He shakes his head sadly, "The recent destruction and attacks that have harmed the town have grieved me. But I am glad you wished to be so helpful to the people of the town I am sure they welcome the aid in rebuilding."

He tilts his head to one side, "And of course if Halyard wishes to discuss expanding its borders to the north and through my land I would happily discuss this with the Mayor."

He smiled warmly at the mouse, "An expansion of the towns borders and the jurisdiction of the town guard would require us to revisit the original charter as agreed between the founders of the village and one of my predecessors. I look forward to the Mayor bringing his proposals to me." 

"Though whilst I am all for increased trade and traffic to assist the economy I am afraid I would not relinquish control of the Estuary of the River Moss. It is a location of strategic importance to the security of my realm and holds the Long Patrol's harbour where my ship is anchored. But I would be happy to discuss with the Mayor how we can better facilitate trade access up and down the river."

He sipped from his cup then set it down, "But you are correct, there does indeed appear to be some sort of misunderstanding between your Mercantile group and the Long Patrol. It grieves me that we have not been able to speak before now. Hopefully we can clear up whatever silly rumours have been floating around about us both. Your intentions are after all honourable and you are a long way from home seeking to do trade and aid your trading partners. I look forward to discussing trade between your merchants and the mountain."

Velm lets the Badger Lord do all the talking as he listens to what is said quietly. He is there if needed for anything.

Varus is served his meal as he listens to the mouse speak, and then Ciocan respond. Hearing the news about the mayor, he nods, sipping his wine. "I see. Then I shall have to pay Hahlond a visit t' pay mah respects," he says, gazing pointedly at the mouse. "Hahlond an' I go way back. I was born 'n raised in Halyahd before I followed mah fathah into th' Patrol, wot." He looks away from the mouse as another hare sits down beside him, and turns out it is wife, Olivia. Since no war seems to have broken out she decided to come out to join her husband.

Matron seems about ready to explode, but they are fortunately interrupted by tiny Dibbun screams.  Before anybeast can stop her, Felicity is racing down into the darkness at her unmatched (now that Zolomon is dead) speed, headed for the terrified sounds as the scream of a vixen joins into the cacophony.  She rounds a corner to come to their underground pond.  Rioko has managed to climb a stalagmite, and the leverets are all huddled up against a wall.  All their gazes are fixed to the water.  The socks are nowhere to be seen.

Terrence does not enter the catacombs and instead waits at the entrance even as the screams ring out. His arms are crossed.

Gregorian bites his tongue to avoid a sarcastic response when the mouse said he didn't see eye to eye with the Mayor, though that was interesting to hear them admit "Yah do business inland already too?" he was just trying to sound curious while probing for information and leaving the debate of borders to his Lordship. A quick glance to Varus and he nods slowly at the Major's words "A lot of the patrol have some connection tah the place"

The mouse is genuinely surprised by Ciocan. "I was not aware you kept such paperwork! If I might have a clerk review the charter, one hired from Halyard of course, as most of my own are rather unfamiliar with the local script, that would help much. Frankly I had not heard of a charter between your lordship and the town of Halyard before now, and I'm not sure whether that piece of parchment makes this all easier or more difficult, hmm?" He gives a good natured laugh. "Of course now I'll have to be much more friendly with the mayor about all these things, and I shall do my upmost to involve him with all of these matters." He eyes the major, never having heard of him before, but Greg's words prompt him further: "Which reminds me, of course... We do do business inland, or at the very least are attempting so."

Wulf tilts his head as he looks up at the badger. "Concerning the river's mouth, I was also unaware anyone laid ownership to it, nor if that even was possible. Would there be a way forward that would let us, the Band of Merchants, have access without friction until Halyard might be able to expand? A trade agreement, or lease of the harbour to us, even? My own son traveled inwards to the woods in hope of establishing a foothold there, and I would hate to let him down, as well as the Band of Merchants as a whole. But then, before discussing that further, the rumours..."

The middle aged mouse looks down at the table for a moment to collect himself before speaking again. "A hare of the Long Patrol has gone missing in Halyard, and as far as we all know, unless I am mistaken, he has not returned to you. While creatures under my command had chased him and one other on suspicion of spying, as we were fearful you, lord, and your hares were preparing to attack, they both slipped away and we do not know where he is currently - we do know the other hare returned, however. We searched for two days before giving up."

"And since the spring has nearly past without open hostility, I think our fear seems silly now, does it not? We have indeed kept an eye out for the hare, yes, but we know next to nothing of him. There are many hares in the town, and if he were to change out of the uniform we'd never know. I am deeply sorry we couldn't help you find him, and that he was lost to you because of us. If you wish to send out a search party the Band of Merchants will be at your disposal, if you so wish it, and I am certain the mayor and Halyard will agree to aid in any way they can. And, of course," he glances at the old captain, "I am certain the Patrol's connection will be healthy again soon enough."

Ciocan smiled and leant back in his chair, "Yes Konnor's disapperance is a weight on our minds, we have been maintaining an active search for him, but whilst I thank you for the offer of help we have it in hand for now."

He regarded the mouse, "It was an unfortunate incident, one I am sure we can avoid repeating now we are in dialogue with each other."

He holds out one hand and Quinten places a scroll in his hand, it includes a map and a long script in Badger Runes and then a translation below, "I had this prepared just in case, a direct copy from the Archives", he offers it to the mouse, "Though if you ask I am sure the Mayor can provide you a copy, it clearly sets out the bounds of my realm as the Badgerlord of Salamandastron, Lord of the Western Shore and Commander of the Long Patrol. From the foothills of the mountains to the East, from the Hook of the Badlands in the north to the northern bank of the Great South Stream that separates us from the toad lands, all lies within my realm."

He accepts another scroll off Quinten, set in the same, Badger Runes, map, translation, "This is the original charter were my predecessor agreed to lease the land Halyard is built upon and permitted the village to establish. We have for the past several generations permitted any collection of land dues to lapse as we have little need or desire for such taxation within our lands."

He smiled at the mouse, "Hopefully this will clear up your knowledge of my realm. With regards to the river, I have no objection to your merchant vessels sailing up and down the river. I see no reason to bar passage to anyone hoping to trade with those who live in Mossflower, but control of the estuary will remain with my Long Patrol. But we can I am sure discuss such matters in more detail at a later point when the Mayor presents his request to expand the borders of the village to me, for now it is enough to know I will not bar your ships from sailing up the river should you wish to trade with Ferravale, Camp Willow, The GUOSIM, Redwall Abbey or other residents of Mossflower."

Varus sips some more of his wine, and watches the mouse again. He ponders whether they should mention the heretofore undiscovered 23rd base or not, as a sign of good faith. But something about these beasts still rings to him as being off somehow. Any information that the badger lord doesn't divulge first, then Varus isn't going to volunteer, either. "I think you will see that we value good trade relations with Mossflower," he remarks, seemingly off-paw. "I think it would be to our mutual benefit all around to see this remains a very amicable relationship."

"Oh, thank all that is holy!!!"  Rioko hollers upon seeing Felicity.  "There's a monster in the water!!"  The leverets all chatter their agreement.  The Sergeant has always been concerned that there was something living down there, but she bluffs to keep the Dibbuns from panicking.  "Ch, did y'see it?"  Julia answers, "No, but we saw bubbles."  Carefully concealing her own panic, Felicity shakes her head.  "'Twas naught but th' spring down thah, causin' a ruckus.  Now get out 'ere an' 'ead upstaihs right now, afore y'get in worser trouble."

"....y'didn't throw th' socks down thah, did you?"  They all emphatically answer no, and one of the youngest ones confesses to hiding the socks in Dom's cubbyhole (this is met by groans from his older cohorts).  Felicity sighs and grabs hold of Rioko's arm, causing the fox to cower.  "This was all y'idea, wasn't it??"  "No, Lissie, I swear I didn't think of all this!"  The fox splutters.  Julia interrupts.  "She's not lyin', Lissie.  'Twas all my idea, an' when I saw 'er in 'er cell, she looked so sad an' lonely I asked 'er t' come with us.  I thought she needed some friends."  The doe sighs.  She had raised her sister to be good, kind, and compassionate, and this was just an outpouring of that.

Felicity gestured to the stairs.  "Alright, now, I believe you.  But go unpstaihs an' we'll see whot Terrence an' th' Caretakahs 'ave in stoh foh you."  The leverets, cowed by their fear, follow Felicity and Rioko upstairs.  The vixen has started to whimper.

As soon as Terrence sees Felicity leading Rioko and the leverets out, he steps aside and waits for all of them to exit before he shuts the door.

"Well," he huffs. "Are you proud of yourselves?"

Gregorian raises an eyebrow at the scrolls outlining the arrangements with Halyard. Even he wasn't aware those existed but the archives were full of lots of things and if it wasn't forge related Greg may not care about it that much. He nodded vaguely at the mouse's words. It was going suspiciously well and all very peaceful. He wasn't sure that he trusted it but it was probably for the best if they didn't march in to another war.

"Truth be told I only know half of the names you just listed," Wulf laughs, waving over a beast from his group to collect the papers after he briefly scanned them. "I shall review these later today, and shan't bore you all as I sift through these papers. Thank you for the copies, they are indeed helpful. The Band of Merchants seems to have underestimated this land, as we wrongfully assumed there was little in the ways of official boundaries and all that bureaucratic mess. Think of us as simply a company operating in your lands, Lord Ciocan, one that deals both in trade, troops, and aid as is needed. One day I hope a road could be built to connect this land to Mossflower and places like Redwall and the others you've named, and perhaps, in the end, help put a stop to all the fighting that has taken place here and there since the great earthquake."

The mouse begins to rise. "Perhaps I now should head back north, to reach the town by evening - though, maybe, to make things easier, might I leave a pawful of beasts in your care in case you need send a message north, and perhaps to continue to chat with your own clerks on the land or about a future trade agreement, maybe? They can camp outside the mountain, if need be, and I'm certain they'll be in good paws - and they'll especially aid our amicable relationship, I should expect."

Ciocan also stands, "I would not wish to deprive your people of the comforts of Halyard nor make them camp outside. You may leave two of your clerks who I am sure General Quinten will make comfortable whilst he discusses such matters."

He looks over the assembled beasts, if he is going to have some of them stay they can stay inside and not sit outside making records of the patrols comings and goings.

"I am glad we got to talk Captain General and clear up our misunderstanding. We may seem like a sparsely populated land when compared to Southsward or even Mossflower but we are a proud realm."

He nods, "If you will leave your people in General Quinten's care I am sure we will speak further soon." the badger lord then bowed, well more nodded his head and headed back inside.

Ciocan himself might be more a warrior but as Greg surmised this is why he had a Quinten and a library stuffed full of ancient records. He was quite glad to get it over with and head back inside. He had every faith the General and his staff would keep the Merchants tied up in knots and make sure any agreements were fair and didn't let the merchants grow too powerful.

With everyone starting to stand, the Major and his wife do as well. "'Opefully we c'n get past our misundahstandin' an' move forwahd, wot." He looks over at the general, knowing he must be thrilled to be dealing with unexpected guests.

"Yes," some leveret voices answer Terrence from the midst of the group, although which ones specifically said this is a mystery.  Felicity, like a good adult, does not laugh, although a good look at her face will tell the other adults she really wants to.  Rioko, characteristically, speaks first.  "Please don't hand me over to the HalyardiaaaaAAaaaaannnsss!!!"  She wails, getting down on her knees and clasping her paws.  "I don't want to diiieeeee!"  Some of the leverets giggle at her, but others start to cry, too.  Felicity throws her paws in the air.  "Now look whot y've done."  "I'm sorryyyyYYyyyyyYYYy...."  The vixen clings to the doe's waist, and a bunch of leverets, including Julia, follow suit, wailing and begging to be spared from various horrible fates such as bathtime, early bedtime, getting their ears and scuts chopped off, being turned into soup, and being baked into pies.  Felicity facepalms since that's literally all she can do right now.

"QUIET!" Terrence bellows - everyone in the mountain is aware of the tone he uses while drilling, the one he uses now. "Roko, is that your bloody name? I doubt you're remembered by a soul, you wreck of a creature. But tossing you to the seagulls might be in the cards for you."

"As for the rest of you lot," the master sergeant rounds on the leverets, "You can't carry on as you have, no - not now. Starting today, after your schooling you'll aid those recruits and privates who've messed up like you have in cleaning the mountain, and will all continue to do so until you're bloody recruits. And if you step a toe out of line, you'll share the same fate as Rekio here." Whatever that might actually be. "AM I UNDERSTOOD?"

Gregorian raises from his chair as well and though he intends to keep an eye on the visitors it seemed largely peaceful and positive so he wasn't sure what to do about it. If he should even do anything at all. With pleasantries being exchanged he nods at the mouse and takes his leave too. The dinning hall gets one glance on his way in but he doesn't look inside to see it isn't covered in tiny pawprints made of jam or something, he just promptly turns sharply the other way and heads upstairs for the forge before any other work can present itself to him. It seemed safer not to question what the yelling was downstairs too and just retreat in advance.

"Farewell, for now." Wulf bows his head for the first time as the badger lord leaves.

After a moment, he looks between Varus and Gregorian.  "The weasel here is named Rowland," the mouse gestures to his companion, "And he shall be one of the two beasts to stay here. We will arrange for the other to come tomorrow, as I wish for a beast native to Halyard to be involved and I did not think to bring a clerk I can spare with me. Now then," he begins slowly to walk back to his group, "I shall take my leave once Rowland is settled. We will meet again, I shall hope."

Rioko gasps, then slinks off back to her cell, whimpering and crying.  The leverets go silent, not used to having adults yelling at them like that, and then they quietly shuffle off in the wake of the Caretakers.  Julia is the only one who stays, staaaaaaring directly at Terrence, her face solemn and unreadable.  She then turns and runs up the stairs.  Felicity sighs.  "I know they need discipline, but they're also just Dibbuns.  Let's just keep tha' in mind, and not break their spirits, alright?"  She then quietly leaves, checking first on Rioko (who has secluded herself away in the catacombs and hidden Terrence's socks in a different place than the rest of the Mountain's socks), then finds her sister.

Varus manages to stifle a grimace as he's introduced to Rowland. He's never liked weasels, and having one under the same roof as himself is almost cause for alarm. But instead, he wordlessly nods at Wulf. "Of course. We shall see to Rowland's comfort, and be awaiting your second representative, wot." What he doesn't say is that he'll post two guards at Rowland's door, and extra guards throughout the mountain, too. Because he doesn't trust weasels. "Good evening." He links arms with his wife, and the two return to the mountain.

Terrence nods, slowly. "Perhaps, but if they continue to commit adult crimes like stealing then a little yelling is the least of their problems." He sighs as the others leave, making his way up to the mountain after them - and to hear the news, as the meeting had been eating away at him. Relief that it went well is the next emotion he feels, and finally, annoyance that his socks are missing.

He then proceeds to interrogate every single leveret in the mountain about the location, before being pointed towards the vixen by a weeping Earlbuck. Considering she's neither a leveret nor a hare, he has no qualms about what he might say to her.

Of course when the master-sergeant learns that yet another vermin in the form of the weasel is staying in the mountain, he just lets out a long, tired sigh.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer