Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-06 03:53:10 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

How do you connect?

Curious what apps / clients / sites everybody uses to connect to the MUCK.

I have a hunch that the Quick Start Guide on the wiki is very outdated, and useless if visitors can't figure out how to get to the game. Don't think many people are using command line telnet anymore. I deleted that whole chunk of the guide today and added a link to Mudslinger, a web based MU client.

If you have a recommendation, drop it here and I'll add it to the guide.

#2 2022-03-06 10:22:52 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: How do you connect?

i use this exact link:  http://www.mudportal.com/play?host=redw … me=Redwall  it takes you directly to the muck.  i also have the potato mu downloaded onto my laptop for when the mudportal isn't working, but i barely understand how to use it.

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2022-03-06 10:23:11 PM)

#3 2022-03-06 10:37:16 PM

Sassafrass

While I've sometimes used Telnet to quickly check out an older MU*, yeah, I don't think it's anybody's choice anymore xD

I'm personally using Mudlet these days, which handles most MUDs and MUSHes just fine. It has a lot of features but I'm old-fashioned and never use any of them, so I can't vouch for how good they are! It's easy to get it set up to connect to any game, which is pretty much all I ask.

#4 2022-03-07 01:37:02 PM

Ol'random
Website

I've used Atlantis since 2018 I believe, having used your guide. The laptop I generally use to connect to the MUCK itself is from 2011 and has MacOS High Sierra installed (as I can't install any newer OS because of space needed/hardware/"reasons"). To go with my now 11 year old computer, the version of Atlantis that I use is 0.9.9.4 Beta (also from 2011) which is two versions behind the current Atlantis build on the Riverdark site (Atlantis 0.9.9.7 / 0.9.9.6), but is the best version to use for my OS.

The only common issue I have is lag/slow down were no new messages load for around of 5-10 minutes, typically if I have been online for more than 2 or 3 hours (though my guess for the slow down is a combination of my own internet, how old my laptop is, Atlantis, and the nature of MU* tech in general). 

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it! It allows for a fair bit of customization and multiple messages to be sent at once which helps immensely for longer poses and formatting them! and because I avoid the in-game paste system like the plague if i can help it XD

Last edited by Ol'random (2022-03-07 01:38:46 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#5 2022-03-07 08:29:26 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

I've added Mudlet, Potato MU, and the MudPortal link to the clients list. Thanks for the recommendations!

Debating whether to create sections for iOS and Android apps. I've used MUDRammer and BlowTorch respectively, but using the MUCK on a phone always feels awkward to me.

Ol'Random: Atlantis on a 2011 MBP was my go-to for many years!

My primary machine runs linux now, so TinyFugue is what I usually use... though I just installed TinTin++ and am gonna give that a whirl.

#6 2022-03-08 02:26:12 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Apps would be really helpful; I would actually consider downloading one onto my Motorola if I knew which ones were any good.

#7 2022-03-08 02:43:13 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

BlisaMarshmellow wrote:

Apps would be really helpful; I would actually consider downloading one onto my Motorola if I knew which ones were any good.

BlowTorch is an Android app I have used, but it's been a few years. It should work on your Motorola, though I can't say for sure. Like I said above using the MUCK on a phone was kind of frustrating for me--it might just be the small screen size.

#8 2022-03-15 05:51:40 AM

Elmef

I use Simple MU still, I have to launch it as an administrator to make Windows 10 load it
But it's the programme I have used since the start

I can only run it on my Laptop and PC
If I am away I don't have a reliable Mobile app for my tablet so I can't connect when away without a PC

#9 2022-03-15 07:11:45 PM

wallace

Elmef wrote:

I use Simple MU still, I have to launch it as an administrator to make Windows 10 load it

I can only run it on my Laptop and PC
If I am away I don't have a reliable Mobile app for my tablet so I can't connect when away without a PC

I've been using MUSHclient since 2007 or 2008 and it's been very reliable - I'm happy to recommend it. Easy to use, but fairly powerful if you want to get into it, and a little smoother than Potato in my opinion. Definitely doesn't need to run as admin.

Last edited by wallace (2022-03-15 07:11:53 PM)

I play Wallace and Adyna, and spoof many more. Page me if you need help.

#10 2022-03-31 11:32:51 AM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Elmef wrote:

Simple MU! I used Simple MU for much of the early 2000s--only left it because I switched to Mac for a while and had to find something compatible.

Now you got me curious if I can still get it to install on a Windows machine... for science. The woman who wrote the program even released the registration key a couple years ago. I only had the unpaid version as a teen tongue It's wild to think about sending a check to a developer as a means to unlock shareware. Not that developers shouldn't get paid, but that online payment was not even an option at the time!

mini_simpleMU.png

If a future Windows update does finally cause Simple MU to stop working for you, I second Wallace's rec for MUSHclient as a good Windows client. Or Mudlet, as Sassafrass mentioned--I have only tried this one as a GUI option for linux so far, but it's a nice app! Always good to have options.

Board footer