Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-01 11:45:56 PM

Ol'random
Website

A trio of Squirrels Reminisce in the Abbey - Redwall 2/26/22

Abbot Benar, John MacGarran, and Friar Lacota, squirrels

It is snowing, a late Winter snow-storm flurrying around outside, Benar is stood in the open doors to the great hall watching a group of novices bring fire-wood inside. He smiles at them, "Nearly done everyone, this is the last lot then we can all get toasty in Cavern Hole."

One of the beasts bearing wood happens to be the young squirrel Spruce, who blows a bit of snow off their snout. When the abbot says this is the last bit of work he visibly brightens. "Really?"

A place by the fire is already taken. John sits on a stool wrapped up in his old cloak, scooting closer to the fireplace when the doors are opened and the cold wind blows in.

Benar says, "Indeed, this is the last lot and the fuel bunkers inside will be full," he directs the novices to the stairs, "That lot to the kitchen, those one to Cavern Hole and that basket over near the main fire here.""

Spruce nods enthusiastically, leading the charge down to Cavern Hole. Nearly free!

John watches impassively as a novice places the basket by the hearth, raising a brow with a glance to Benar. "Keeping busy, eh? Cannae say Ah've got th'same tolerance fore cold as ye lot."

Benar pushes the main doors shut firmly and then walks over to the fire, "You may not be able to tolerate the cold John, but I am sure I can find something for your idle paws to do if you are bored."

Throwing up his paws in a mock gesture, John laughs. "Don' ye worry about me being bored! Last time someone said that line t'me were when Ah were barely out of dibbunhood here, it were. Though truth be told, Ah've been keeping myself occupied by thinking about such times, back long afore father Lorimis passed."

"Well, that was a good while ago, indeed," remarks Lacota as he comes down the stairs, carrying a tray with an empty teapot on it. "He was a good leader, though."

Benar says, "Lorimis is missed, he taught me a lot of what i know and how I run the abbey," the squirrel smiled and looked around the hall, "We should see about going down to Cavern hole however, it is warmer"

"And a wee more packed, nae doubt." John says even as he stands. "But Ah suppose that'll help t' warm things up. And Ah've always regretting having no' been here fore his funeral, truth be told. Were tae hot-headed at th'time t'pay attention and let t'many petty things get t'me..." The youngest squirrel of the three shake his head. "But that were a long time ago now, and Ah've learned better."

Lacota harrumps, and heads toward the kitchen, instead, to put his tray away where it belongs. "You were perfectly welcome to come," he says quietly. "Lorimis would have understood why you didn't, however. He was like that, always kind."

Benar says, "Life happens to us all John, we all react in our own ways," he starts toward the stairs, "But now you are here once more so come, lets enjoy some of the warmth downstairs.""

"Nae doubt, and Ah probably knew Ah were at th'time..." John shrugs in response to the friar, following the abbot down, "But it's in th'past now either way. And that Ah am, Benar! Ye coming, friar?"

Lacota hmms. "Well, I need to put this stuff away, but yes, I'll be down shortly..." He moves toward the kitchen, instead.

Benar moves on down the stairs, "I like to think I am doing an okay job as Abbot, it certainly involves more paperwork then I was expecting."

"Well, th'abbey's never been captured in yore time," John says with a surprising brightness and a wink, "So Ah'd say ye're doing well enough. Less Ah missed something major, o'course."

Down in Cavern Hole Spruce sat with several other novices warming themselves by the fireplace.

Lacota comes back out of the kitchen eventually, carrying a new tray of tea and strawberry scones. "Here we go."

Spruce looks up as the friar enters, still warming his paws by the fire. John stood by the table the tray's (presumably) being carried to. "So, Lacota, how have things been 'round here lately?"

Lacota sets the tray down. "Well, the usual, mostly," he replies, as he starts to pour two cups of tea. "I'm getting tired of the bone-chilling cold weather, though. Spring cannot come fast enough for my tastes."

John nods. "Can't really argue there." Leaning on the table he cocks his head to one side. "Say, those novices right there-" he gestures to the group of beasts around the fire, "How new are they would ye say?"

Lacota glances over to the gaggle of youngsters: a squirrel, two mice, a vole and a young dormouse. "Pretty new. They just took their vows this past autumn. Why do you ask?"

John shakes his head. "They seem t'get younger and younger each season..." He mutters more to himself than the friar, falling quiet afterwards. When he speaks again, he's careful to keep his voice low as he looks at Lacota. "More orphans? Ore...?"

"The mice and the vole," Lacota answers. "The mice are twins, their mother came here some seasons back, emaciated and dying of an illness Angela was unfortunately able to treat. She entrusted them to our care." His voice is likewise low. "The vole was from a camp in Mossflower that got attacked by roving bandits. Terrible story. The others have parents who are also in the order."

"Ahh. A shame, it were." John nods, slowly. "And then there's that last squirrel-lad, there-" he gestures, "...Spruce, weren't he?"

Lacota nods. "He was a bit of a troublemaker when he was younger. He's matured quite a bit, however."

"Considering most youths 'round here -" John says with a wry smile, "Including when both me and ye could be called such, nae doubt, mah good friar-squirrel, troublemaker's th' standard badge of growing up at Redwall, nae?"

"Seasons," John adds after a moment, with a laugh "If ye could but witness when mahself an' th'lass Trillis were stomping 'round here at that age, ye'd throw us out on th' spot."

Lacota shakes his head. "Not me, I'm afraid. I grew up far, far from here, in the most unpleasant if circumstances, I'm afraid. Not pleasant at all..."

John nods, "Ah, sorry t'hear that. Though Ah d'somewhat know what ye're talking of, Ah'd wager. Weren't born at th'abbey either, no' did Ah come here till Ah were nearly out of dibbunhood. Seems most life outside of Mossflower is hard in thae end..." He sighs. "A sad reality o' th'times we live in."

Lacota harrumps, and sips his tea carefully. "I was born a slave," he remarks, "In the far north. Where it's almost always snowy. That's why I don't particularly care for the stuff. Brings back unhappy memories."

"Understandable," John replies. "Ah'm from th' borderlands mahself." Beyond that the younger squirrel falls quiet, thinking to himself.

Lacota nods, and gestures to the other cup. "You haven't touched your tea," he reprimands.

Looking around as if woken up from sleep, John murmurs, "Och, huh? Oh - aye, right." The squirrel picks up the cup and takes a long draft of it now that it's somewhat cooled off. "Ah know those were dark days fore ye, but... did ye ever see thae East Sea?"

Lacota nods, and settles back into his chair, basking in the warmth of the fire. "Ah, yes, I have, as it happens," he replies. "I'll tell you about it... This was a couple of seasons after I managed to run away, mind you. A while yet before I'd even heard tell of this "Red Wall" place... Anyway, I found myself heading east, you know? With a traveling band of minstrels, of all things..."

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2022-03-02 04:23:07 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: A trio of Squirrels Reminisce in the Abbey - Redwall 2/26/22

So help me....I now have to know the end of that story or I shall die!! okay, not really, but i do really want to know the rest of it

Board footer