Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-07 05:57:19 PM

Ol'random
Website

Some LP Updates & Suggestions- 2022

Hello! I think it's about time to share what exactly I've been doing on the official site for the Long Patrol on the wiki (here) + some suggestions for the Patrol moving forward.

So first things first, the wiki!

I added a new page, Medals: https://www.rwmuck.org/wiki/Medals_of_the_Long_Patrol

I've been slowly updating & editing the following pages:

• A Recent History of the Long Patrol - still a WIP but have been slowly adding all major events in the LP's history on the muck

• Rank Structure - added tables & streamlined some language

• Long Patrol Non-Player Characters - added status (alive/deceased etc), medals (so that people can easily find out what the particular spoof/npc has done), and special remarks (based off of an edit Blisa first did for the spoof Flowerheart. I ran with the idea after I saw it tongue) I encourage anyone who has a spoof to fill out any details they using the newish format, like full names or medals or whatever else

• Long Patrol Uniforms - added several more images of uniforms I've made for the LP, and I'm working on adding more!

• Patrol Divisions - updated to reflect the transfer of Velm to the HG & Elbio's retirement + as well as more clearly defining how the HG is divided: Quinten is in charge with Koda (an npc) as his second in command. Under them are a whole host of different functions like the infirmary staff/medical section where Velm is in, the cooks, and any other logistical group in the LP as well as the actual guards who always stay at Sala to protect it.

I've been doing a lot of work in the Wiki as a whole, but these are all that are relevant to the LP

The second thing: Promotions

A while back we had discussed Donica being promoted to Lance-Corporal or Corporal, and I was thinking that maybe we should promote all current private healers (Donica, Rhonwen, and Zywie) to the rank of Lance-Corporal. The reasoning behind this is that now all three of the characters have been in the Patrol long enough to have gathered a fair bit of field experience and are currently the primary healers in the main patrol; they should have a slight seniority over the common private to reflect this. The biggest change from private to lance-corporal is that they will be asked to lead squads of hares when needed and to fill in for corporals when there aren't any. The other big thing about Lcpl is that they are on the short list for becoming full corporals and are kinda being tested on how well they fit the role - on the OOC side of things, I'm hoping this will cause more involvement with the LP as a whole

Now the third and final thing, my suggestion:

(I adapted this from an idea I had late in the night that I shared with Varus' player at like 3 am)

In light of Elbio leaving the Patrol and Velm becoming chief healer in the Long Patrol, the Long Patrol has a distinct lack of junior level officers meaning Lieutenants & Sub-Lieutenants who are actual characters.

To address this, I suggest whole plot about the LP starting an officer training program and opening it up to anyone who passes the initial IC tests, particularly aimed at recruits, privates, and lance-corporals. Then those who pass will have to go through around half a year of school/training/mentoring as an ensign before graduating to the rank of lieutenant or sub-lieutenant - it's a long time sure, but I think it will give the characters who go through this an opportunity to RP in a newish way: as a student and assistant which means interacting, learning from, and getting to know all the officers in the Long Patrol.

On the OOC side of things, I'm going to use a quote from this log posted by Lutea a few years ago:

Lutea wrote:

The biggest thing I look for with promotions are OOC initiative and the willingness to run scenes and events, spoof bad guys, etc. without IC personal gain. While IC characteristics definitely factor into it, having the initiative to create, maintain, and consistently participate in RP is the #1 thing I look for!

This still holds true to today for the LP as a whole, and I would to ask that anyone who wants their character to become an ensign to seriously think about this and whether or not they are willing to take a more active role in the LP or not-
With this I am hoping to drive up OOC involvement because I want everyone to take a more active role, be they private, recruit, sergeant, or captain!

We need the officer role to mean something again by encouraging whoever fills the ensign/lieutenant position to start their own plots, rps, go on missions, and above all not to wait on the likes of me (Terrence), Quinten, Greg, or whoever else etc to do things on the MUCK!

As an added benefit, the more people are willing to lead RP and stuff it will hopefully have the benefit of saving players like me from burnout which will help me greatly

This is really the first time I'm sharing this to the group as a whole and right now is merely a suggestion - I want people's feedback on this, please, and everyone's thoughts on if we should do this or not.

Last edited by Ol'random (2022-01-07 06:01:46 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2022-01-08 09:37:24 AM

oz

Re: Some LP Updates & Suggestions- 2022

Might be neat to see Cole have a higher rank. Kind of grow out of his annoying ways he still has, but still ramble maybe when he is nervous, like all is well  till oh no he is rambling this has to be serious.

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#3 2022-01-08 11:54:11 AM

Proud LP

Rhowen is a fighter on the list.

Zywie and Donica are healers.

I think Donica should be  a corporal, as for promoting some privates....maybe some of the older ones like Dominik

I am :
Velm-Captain and Chief Healer at Salamandstron
Jaison-Soon to be Master Healer at Redwall
Kage-Healer,Posion,Asssassin, Evil

#4 2022-01-08 03:37:02 PM

Ol'random
Website

Proud LP wrote:

Rhowen is a fighter on the list.

Oof, sorry about that!

Catgirl wrote:

add medals to the current hares of the MT. list as well

Of course, though I want to leave that up to the character player's choice tongue

As for Donica being promoted, I'm hoping that'll happen soon! As for Dom, I actually asked his player about this, but unfortunately I have yet to get a response. On the In-Character side of things, Terrence has been trying to get Dom promoted for YEARS at this point XD

But I do want you all to still think and consider about the potential officer training for your characters tongue

Also - concerning Cole purely IC'ly: I think he has honestly more work to do than anyone else in the Patrol to have anyone take him seriously. There's been at least two years at this point of him starting fights, causing trouble, and otherwise unhelpful to the patrol. Slaw always seemed like the more responsible brother, but since his death Cole has been making an effort to do better which I think a lot of hares have noticed.

Yet that can't erase the image of himself that's been built up for years instantly and I doubt that he would be considered for any sort of leadership role unless his efforts to be more serious and responsible are shown to have stuck; for instance Terrence needs to see Cole constantly do better for some time before he supports the private's endeavours because honestly, Terrence doesn't really have much faith Cole is capable of much (for now, of course - Terrence's opinion will probably change with time)

#5 2022-01-08 03:54:05 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I genuinely have no idea which medals Felicity would have, if she would have any, so help with that would be appreciated.

I agree; y'all should not be waiting on us older players to be running RPs.  You guys are fully capable, and you have such good ideas!  You can run scenes yourselves smile

I want to stay a Sergeant.  It's fun because Felicity has very little paperwork, but can still yell at people a lot xD  As for promoting the Healer chars -- I think it's logical and makes sense.  I vote yes smile

I like the idea of the ensign TP.  But even if your character is just a Private, you can still run RPs.  If you have an idea, run with it!

#6 2022-01-08 06:50:06 PM

oz

Cole slowly gaining respect ....and still gutting into fights...sounds cool

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol

#7 2022-01-09 08:37:09 PM

Proud LP

Velm and Donica's wedding has happened so yeah....Velm and Donica are now married smile

On other note: I be happy to run, some sort of role play.I will think on ideas and get back to you on it

I am :

#8 2022-01-12 04:00:35 PM

Mother Krisha

We need to get that base in Halyard again.

Maybe still have it by the docks, but like build one both ICLY and OOCLY. I know some got confused  with that houseboat(which seems to not let anyone  chown it some reason).

#9 2022-01-12 04:08:19 PM

oz

What about the old base Varus was gonna explore, it's like on a path off Halyard.

A note on Elbio, he retired and still has his rank of Lt. , unless they gave him a promotion like to Captain.

I play:

#10 2022-01-12 05:07:18 PM

Elmef

I think this is a nice idea

It would be great to see an officer training programme and characters slowly getting promoted.
I am always happy to run things and be on to take the lead with stuff as my busy schedule allows!

But it is cool to see other people running stuff too!
I mostly keep Quinten at home these days, he's had all his "Younger days" adventures. Back before you lovely youngsters joined the MUCK so I try to let other people shine. But I would love to get involved in teaching people things IC.

#11 2022-01-15 04:22:14 PM

Ol'random
Website

Anyone and everyone who wants to get involved is certainly welcome!

About the Halyard base- I think it would be easiest and make the most sense to use the 23rd base that's already there! I had no idea it existed until recently when I stumbled upon it while exploring the MUCK! Right now we're actually doing an RP to start the mission to go their and hopefully jog Varus' memory.
The previous attempt was made from an old harbourmaster's house and was burned down during Zoltar's attack in the late spring/summer last year - I'm intending to build the ruins of the old base at some point to practice building on the MUCK, with maybe a camp inside made by some new comers to Halyard.........

The sea snake is still alive, somewhere. It might come back sooner or later........

As for the mayor, I actually do not know the name! He was Quinten's spoof and as such I've avoided mentioning him beyond a general reference to the "mayor"
I didn't even realize he was a sea otter XD

#12 2022-01-16 07:31:47 AM

Elmef

The Mayor is called Harlond
He's a Sea-Otter and fisher, people are welcome to make use of him as long as they don't do anything permanent to him.

#13 2022-02-06 02:45:52 PM

Proud LP

I believe things are a bit better in Halyard now.
I am curious of where the sea snake went though. Also are there still problems in Halyard or are they better now?

Also we need to get that old base up again thats near Halyard. The 23nd LP base is the one talkinmg about.

I am also working on a small little plot of my own.Nothing like super major like OMG its vermin,no sudden death either........more info later.

I am :

#14 2022-02-07 03:35:47 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

#15 2022-02-07 05:36:08 PM

Ol'random
Website

The problems in Halyard have mostly settled down because of Winter -they aren't gone, though. A letter was sent in December across the sea and its taken until roughly now for a ship to return bearing those diplomats I've mentioned in the Snake in the Sand thread.   Hopefully today I'll write up a 'cutscene' I've had planned for a while to introduce the next part of the Halyard troubles & can get on for some RP in Redwall or wherever.

Also, concerning the 23rd: about 3 weeks ago we RP'd te moments leading up to the party leaving the mountain to go to the old base. The mission thing is still on going, but because both myself and varus' player have been mostly inactive in January we haven't had a chance to actually RP anything! Which is also why I've offered to spoof hares other than Terrence around the mountain, because he's not around.

Both the proto-sequel to Snake in the Sand and the 23rd shouldn't and hopefully WONT get in a way of any plots you have planned though, I want to make that clear. If anything, hopefully they can all compliment each other

Last edited by Ol'random (2022-02-07 05:36:50 PM)

#16 2022-02-15 05:20:41 PM

Leon

I can help with a TP . I can  spoof beasts good and bad, I also plan to make a LP hare.

I play
Cota-grandson of Dorarose
Micco-Leader of the Gawtribe

#17 2022-02-15 09:42:54 PM

Ol'random
Website

I'll hopefully be around tomorrow to RP for a little bit if all goes well, but either way I will be here this Saturday to RP in Salamandastron probably not as Terrence but either as Lossow or spoofing one of the other lesser used hare npcs to flesh out the LP more. Whatever happens, a runner will arrive bringing some news from the 23rd & Halyard in the middle of the RP to advance the mini plot I have in the works.

We do need privates/recruits, and if Leon or anyone else wants to help with plots (at least on my end - idk about Velm's plot), I'd actually suggest making a hare! We need more hares around the mountain to do stuff and not just patrolling or training  tongue

maybe we should do a cleaning day for the mountain this saturday because im pretty sure there are corridors that have never been dusted/washed before + i feel like its a good way for the characters to suffer bond big_smile

#18 2022-02-19 02:56:44 PM

Ol'random
Website

Velm and I (as Lossow) are currently hanging 'round Salamandastron to RP. Please feel free to join!

#19 2022-02-22 04:07:17 PM

Proud LP

I may just wait on my little plot idea, IDK yet

I am :

#20 2022-02-22 04:10:42 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I think plots can still happen during Terrence's plot, although if I'm wrong, he's welcome to correct me.

I'd love to hear your idea, though, so feel free to share it here: http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?id=1165&p=4 smile

#21 2022-02-22 04:38:39 PM

oz

I think maybe use this post for LP ideas now

I play:

#22 2022-02-23 03:00:51 PM

Leon

Yeah  use this post, easier to find
As for ideas for the LP:

I am planning on making a hare,fighter likely and he would show up one day.

I also be intrested in maybe helping spoof any random beasts (Good,bad or in-between)

ideas:

1. A group of hares hanging out on the beach just having fun and swiming maybe  and its a fun  time...till some jellyfish pass and one hare gets stung with one cause didnt get out of the water fast enough....they live but it is a close call(or just  the hare is  unable to do much for couple weeks.(hmmms...maybe it even stings Ciocan(More Intresting!)

2. Hmmms, a group of  sea otters and a group of pygrmy shrews are fighting over who  gets to live in the area where the cliffs and sea cave is( an area off the halyard trail) and one from each some reason decide to go to Salamanastron because the  LP hares andf thier  wise Badger Lord  tp ask them who should have that area to call home?No one gets hurt or anything just a sort of different,fun and think deeply sort of  role play smile(And funny too maybe)

I play
Cota-grandson of Dorarose
Micco-Leader of the Gawtribe

#23 2022-02-23 04:01:23 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Alright, whichever works best. smile So to copy what I said over there:

Oz and I were talking recently, and we've had some RP ideas:

1)  The LP goes on an exploration/training sort of thing.
2) Recruits go exploring the catacombs on a dare.  They find a deep tunnel that leads who-knows-where (maybe outside?  That would lead to another RP or more of them sealing it up), and someone goes down to find them....but they think it's a ghost following them!
3) DAB shenanigans!  (see here: http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?id=2263 )

We can totally do these RPs after the deep cleaning thing in Salamandastron, and during the subplot things Terrence is working on.  Do you guys have any other ideas?  Also, when should we do these RPs?  I'd like to do them, if possible, within the next 2 to 3 months  smile

I also would really like to do the ideas Leon came up with!  They can happen first, or at the same time, whatever smile  Just trying to get more RPs happening.

#24 2022-02-23 04:20:09 PM

oz

Ciocan stung, hmmm....every hare panics! Just kidding tongue. But could be intresting,  show even the Badger Lord needs a healer sometimes.

I wonder if like in summer, the dolphins decide to visit for a hey how are ya friends!

I play:

#25 2022-02-24 01:05:06 PM

Ol'random
Website

BlisaMarshmellow wrote:

I think plots can still happen during Terrence's plot, although if I'm wrong, he's welcome to correct me.

I mean, I said I don't want to get in the way of anyone else's stuff earlier in this thread, so no worries there XD

Concerning the beach/swim thing: maaaaaybe hold off on doing that until its not the dead of winter with a freezing sea and rain and all that, and instead wait until spring or even summer 

As for training plots, I actually wanted to do an RP along those lines at least once a month which is one of the reasons I did that relay race RP back in October (I think?), though doing more  didn't really get off the ground. I'm gonna try again tho soon!

Also i'm not all that committed to the cleaning thing btw. All I need is people online to interact with regardless of what the hares are doing!

There is also that officer program  I still want to move forward with while everything else is happening:

Though keep in mind if an ensign does completes their training (say a season or two, kinda like how Elbio did it) they will need to stay a lieutenant and probably won't be promoted any time soon, because right now we only have one player character who is a LT and he's not even part of the main patrol!  Currently we need more junior officers (sub-lieutenants and lieutenants), not more captains or majors. Also also, ensigns who enter and aren't really up to the task could possibly be washed out and become a regular private, which could generate some interesting character drama RP to explore (and i'm tempted to actually make a character to do just that..... but also i have too many to juggle rn so rip)

Also also also, I'm going to post on the casual scenes and events thread for a general RP this saturday

Last edited by Ol'random (2022-02-24 01:15:53 PM)

Board footer