Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-15 05:18:26 PM

Leon

Reunion and Catching up on news

WHO:

Cota-Son of Caleb and Cynthia and Grandson of Leon and Dorarose, as well as Grandson of Lacota.

Benar-Abbot

Lacota-Frair

LOG:

Benar is standing by the fire warming his hands, a cloak hung over a chair nearby is steaming gently as it dries out. Seems the Abbot has just come back in from outside and the snow is coming down thick and heavy.

Cota has been away a long while but is now back and in a better mood than he was when he first showed up. He glances around the room for any beast he knows.   

Benar looks up as someone enters the room and raises a hand toward Cota, "Hello there young one, how have you been? It's been awhile since I last saw you"   

Cota smiles as he goes over to Benar "Hello Abbot Benar, yeah it's...been a while, I wandered for a couple of seasons and before that was in Halyard but a storm ruined my father's cafe.."He frowns but not for too long"I had..thought him dead cause I got separated from him, but he is alive and on some land or something that's far across the sea.And he said he is happy and even may of found a mouse maid he likes."He shrugs "It's fine..I guess, I mean Mom..mom been gone a while now."   

Benar nods as he listens to Cota, "I am glad you came back to the Abbey, but it is a foul season to be out traveling. I hope the weather did not give you too much trouble?"   

Cota sits down "It did slow me down, travel in winter is....yeah not good. But the abbey is my home and my grandma is here, and my Aunt..even Great Grandma is still alive."He sighs "I have yet to find Friar Lacota though since he adopted mom, it..makes him my grandfather also"   

Benar says, "Well the Friar is around," the Abbot says, "You just have to catch him at a good time," the grey squirrel moves to a chair and settles down, "But I am glad you have come home, you should warm-up and settle back in."

Cota nods "Yeah...I did check the kitchens, he wasn't there and a novice made me leave, so maybe later. I be glad to help around the abbey and live here again."   

Benar says, "Yes best to avoid the kitchens unless you want to get put to work," The abbot says with a smile "And we would be happy to have your help"

Cota chuckles some"I would be fine with that, I think. Maybe even learn a new skill..anyways has much happened since I been away,I have only heard a little bit of some problems that was dealt with."   

Benar says, "Nothing much of late," The abbot says, "It has been a mostly quiet winter here in the Abbey thankfully."

Cota says, "well quiet can be good, hopefully, it lasts."   

Benar says, "I would like to last that is for sure, I prefer the quiet times. But maybe we can have some excitement with a Winter feast soon"

Cota asks, "When is the feast? I could help with it maybe, my father taught me how to cook,I am also very good at making lists if that is needed."   

Benar says, "Not sure on the date yet, it is late this year, or an early Spring one, we will have to see when the best date is"

Cota asks, "Sounds like a plan, has there been any seasons that there wasn't a feast? Or maybe have like a.....two seasons in one?"

Benar says, "Only a few seasons, usually when something very bad or momentus has happened to cause the feast to not be appropriate"

Cota asks, "hmmm maybe in couple weeks have a winter feast and then a spring one a month laTER?"

Benar says, "Hmm no no Lacota would kill us to have feasts that close together," he said softly, "A late February or March Winter feast and a spring feast end of April"

Cota says, "sounds nice."He chuckles "Yeah, I do remember Grandfather gets a little moody and grumpy sometimes"   

Benar says, "HE is a good cook, he just doesn't like being over-worked like mos to us."

Cota nods "Then he should be glad of some help in the kitchens, for sure during a feast."

Benar says, "Well I am sure Lacota and the staff would welcome the extra help Cota," the abbot said with a smile, "It is always useful to have another pair of hands around"

Cota says, "Be glad to help. I just wish some friends of mine were still around, but seems they died and some left to live elsewhere over the seasons i heard.I thought I saw one friend but he..only looks like him."

Benar says, "It is always sad when we lose friends, it is never easy... but we know they will be waiting for us to meet up again sometime"

Cota sighs "I guess so, guess I missed a lot, though some seems it was best to miss,but I also missed good times here too"   

Benar says, "There has been a lot happening, Autumn was.. eventful that's for sure... we had to deal with a murder trial at Ferravale which was sad to have to be involved with"

Cota says, "Oh, sounds horrible.I hope the peace treaty is still going on between the abbey and Ferravale"   

Benar says, "The peace treaty is safe... but the person involved was a resident here but he .. committed a murder. Blisa was kind enough to allow me to banish him from mossflower rather then feed him to her snake"

Cota nods"I heard about the snake, some stories were a bit scary. There was a funny one though, that the snake liked cheese of all things"

Benar says, "The snake is... very odd and strange, but they seem nice enough"

Cota chuckles "Probably the only snake I might call nice, then again it's likely only nice when seen because it doesn't want in trouble with the chieftain there"   

Lacota comes out of the kitchen carrying a tea tray and makes his way over to the Abbot. "Ah, you finally came in. The weather out there is not fit for anybeast," he declares, setting the tray on a nearby table. "Your afternoon tea." He spares a glance toward the mouse and pauses. "Hello..." He seems to peer a bit.   

Benar says, "I am not sure i'd call them nice," Benar frowns, "They still eat people sadly..." he glances over at Lacota, "Yes I was just in the kiln, it was warm enougn in there it was just the trek back and forth." He nods to the mouse, "You remember Cota?"

Cota glaces at Lacota and offers a large smile, taking a moment he then speaks "Hey Grandfather!" If he is able he goes to hug the old squirrel.   

Lacota takes a moment to start pouring tea into one of the cups on the tray, nodding to Benar idly, when he is interrupted by the hug, and then he offers one of his rare smiles. "Of course I remember Cota. Land sakes, lad, it's been entirely too long!" He sighs. "When the weather is better, we can go say hello to your mother," he says softly. "I still go speak to her and my wife from time to time." He pauses. "The cemetery is peaceful."   

Cota says, "Yeah the weather is cold and snowy, not so fun to travel in or I likely would of been home sooner."   

Lacota asks a novice to fetch a third tea cup, then starts pouring tea again, as he nods. "This has a particularly cold winter, I'm afraid, but luckily we had a very good harvest this past autumn, so there's no worries of running low of our food stores."

Benar says, "The cemetery is a nice place to visit, to think and just gather ones thoughts whilst remembering," he accepts a cup from Lacota and smiles, "But thank you for the tea my dear friend."

Cota nods"I heard last winter a LOT of snow came"

Lacota hands another cup to Cota, and he grimaces. "We had a full-on blizzard last winter. It was pretty serious. Snow drifts up to 10 or 15 feet deep in some places."   

Cota takes the cup and sips some tea,a smile"Very nice tea and listens "So was everyone trapped inside the abbey for some time?"   

Benar says, "Yes those blizzards and drifts where something... I remember how cold it got as well."

Lacota nods, as he pours tea into the third cup for himself. "Yes, we were all stuck inside for over a week, as I recall. It could have ended up a lot worse than it did."   

Benar he sips his tea, "Was more like two months in the end, by the time the weather warmed up enough for us to travel"   

Cota says, "Guess I am glad I wasn't turning last winter then. I mainly traveled the river and then the main path to the road by the abbey. I mean there is ice on the roads but not piles and piles of snow"

Lacota mmms, and he offers Cota one of the raspberry tarts he also brought. "Fortunately we all managed to keep our spirits up."

Benar is leaving the tarts alone, just enjoying his tea, savoring it, in no rush to drink it, "I am glad you made it home safely"

Cota says, "I am glad as well."He gets the tart,tastes it and smiles as he also sips at his tea." And things are peaceful right now,it even seemed quiet in Feravale...I had stoped for the night there and finished traveling the next morning to get here."   

Lacota nods his agreement. "That feeling is mutual, Cota. You're family. And I mean that. I'm very glad to see you again."   

Cota says, "I plan to stay and not go wandering again.The abbey is my home, and I will stay home now.I tried a wanderer life, not for me..it was too loney."

Benar sets down his cup and smiles, "I am just glad you reached the abbey safely, it really is not safe to just wander around on your own like that."   

Lacota nods again. "Agreed. How far did you travel, if I may ask?"   

Cota sighs, he takes a morment before he speaks "Nothing...happen, well got lost once...but A lot was going on in Halyard, so...so I left. I decided i didn't like being by the sea."   

Benar says, "Well getting lost happens sometimes, and the sea whilst nice is noisy and full of salt. I am not a fan of it myself"

Lacota harrumps. "I've been to the coast. I don't recommend it."   

Cota says, "Also full of super large fish or that's what beasts in the sea port said, like fish larger than the abbey even"

Benar says, "I got kidnapped when I was small and shipped out to an island of beast eating lizards... me and the sea are not friends"

Lacota looks a little surprised at the Abbot's words. "Benar, you've never told me about that. Good gravy."   

Cota says, "Think the pond is fine for me when comes to any body of water. I mean The River Moss is ok in most places."   

Benar says, "It was a long time ago, I was like four... maybe three... it was...not fun but it happened." He shrugged, "I would much rather stay here in the abbey and be safe"   

Cota says, "The western Shores has some safe areas and the Long patrol and the Badger Lord keep the western shores safe and prevent bad beasts from coming this far into land."He hmms "Speaking of Long Patrol, doesn't the abbey have a hare from there living here ? Or did they leave, I didn't see, well any hares around."

Lacota hmms. "Yes, I've been to Salamandastron. That was long before you were born." He sips his tea, and frowns. "That...is a complicated situation."   

Benar says, "Elbio headed home to the shore for the winter, I assume he will return to us in the spring." he shakes his head and sighs, "But that is all I will say on the matter... I am sure all is well."

Cota just nods "I guess they need him there, then again winter is not fun travel time as most have said"   

Lacota mms. "The Long Patrol is a life-long commitment, after all. It can't always be easy to live so far apart from them."

Benar says, "I am sure Elbio will return when he ius ready, it is nice having a hare around, I always appreciate their advice"

Cota says, "I think most hares one meets likely are in the Long Patrol or dream of it, not meet a hare not interested in the group"   

Lacota sips his tea. "I only lament their voracious appetites. With Elbio away I can conserve so much extra food. Where DO they put it all? I've never met a fat hare in my life."

Benar says, "I have no idea," Benar said with a smile, "They do eat a lot more then the rest of us though... and always seem to want to eat all the nuts"

Cota chuckles "Bottomless walking stomachs my dad called them. He said they always tried to sneak into the kitchens at night, they have like breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, a snack or two and then dinner and likely another snack"   

Lacota harrumps again. "Oh, believe me, I know. There's a standing rule that Elbio isn't allowed within ten feet of the kitchen, pantry, or larder. I have to keep a whole abbey fed, after all."   

Benar chuckles, "I caught him in there once, he was so guilty about being caught," he stands up and shakes out his habit, "Now I should get back to my office, I need to do some papers before dinner."

Lacota nods. "Ah, yes, dinner. I've got that under control, fortunately. See you then, Benar."

Cota goes to help get dinner ready, his mood is happy and it shows.

I play
Cota-grandson of Dorarose
Micco-Leader of the Gawtribe

Board footer