Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-27 03:51:53 AM

Ol'random
Website

On the Road Again... Adrian and Monty, + Lossow: Adventure!

The First Stage
1/27/21
IC'ly this tales place a few weeks or so after the hares left the abbey in October
Adrian, Monty, and Lossow, hares.

The weather upon setting out from Redwall had been anything but pleasant. Lossow had high hopes seeing the late harvest at the abbey, and, while loath to leave that place of plenty, had hoped the fair air would continue for some time.

It did not.

Of course, Lossow had his thick great-cloak, courtesy of the 67th to wear, but he worried about the others in his party - not that he would ever say that to their faces as the sergeant had made it plain his dislike for the sub-lieutenant. And so he had kept his distance from the pair, even if he thought he might get along better with Monty.  In truth the young hare did not know what to think of either corporal or sergeant, and as such today he spent as he had all the other days of this mission so far, 'scouting' ahead, or so he claimed. There was truth to it as he did keep an eye and ear out for trouble but there was no trouble on this lonely northern road to be had, though it did leave Walter alone which suited him fine enough - for now.

Adrian is no weather expert. Far from it. But the steadily worsening snow the past few days is growing concerning for the young buck. He can't know, of course...That a storm is coming, from the Southwest. But the gathering snow clouds from that direction make him start to think his decision to continue this journey may have been a mistake. He doesn't let on openly, however. Shouldering his pack, still heavily laden with treats from the Abbey, he looks back over his shoulder, to make sure Serena and Yerna are keeping up. Sola had opted to go on to Salamandastron, and, truthfully, Adrian was surprised his friend Monty hadn't decided to do the same. "Mmm, just breathe in this fresh Northern Air, will you?" he says, putting on a brave face. "No Structure, eh? Aside from... Y' know wot."

Monty had pondered his decision for quite awhile before the small group had left the Abbey. He'd had a private discussion with Sola, and they'd come to the mutual decision that she would be much safer simply returning to the mountain instead of accompanying them on this leg of their journey. In all honesty, Monty was tired; they'd been out on this mission for far longer than he originally anticipated, yet still there was something inside of him that egged him to continue onward and finish what he'd started. Then, there also was the new wrinkle of a new face joining them, a decision which Monty had generally been neutral to for the most part, to counter Adrian's disappointment and disdain. He hadn't gotten to know Lossow well enough yet to really be able to make a judgment on him, though the now-seasoned and well-weathered hare was certainly keeping an eye on him closely. "Heh," he gives Adrian a light nudge to the ribs as he trudges alongside his best friend. "Y'take a deep breath out here an' you'll end up gettin' a lungful of bloody snow, y'will...." he mutters, with a light shake of his head. "Still, is onwards n'upwards, wot. Like y'do..."

Adrian harrumps, looking up at the sky, again, then peers ahead to catch Lossow in his sights. "Ah, well... Y'know, y' nevah asked me just why I decided t' go on ahead north when Lord Ciocan gave me th' choice..." He looks over at his friend. "We could be at th' Mountain, righ' now, instead o' trudgin' through th' bloody wastes." He lets a pregnant pause hang in the air, for several long moments, before finally saying, "I wasn't ready t' face Fathah again... Or the regimented life at Salamandastron. Bein' out 'ere, Mont... It's let me taste a greatah independence than I've lit'rally evah known mah whole life..."

Monty continues onwards silently for a little while as he listens to Adrian. Eventually, the hare gives his friend a shrug. "I never asked ya cuz it was none'a my business, wot. But, I kinda figured th'reason was somethin' like that." He chuckles. "Hey, y'don't think I'd rather be sleepin' in a warm, comfy bed instead of on cold dirt n'stones?" Monty sighs, softly. "But yeah, I c'n understand that, mate. I'd think at this point, you n' yer pa's relationship woulda taken a turn for th'better? Now that he's seen y'can actually take care of yerself on yer own and don't need him lookin' over yer shoulder ever second of th'day?" He glances to Adrian for a moment, before lifting his gaze to watch Lossow walking ahead of them. "I been thinkin', Adj. Y'think mebbe y'should give th'poor bloke a break? Think of th'position he got put in, y'know? It'd be uncomfortable n'awkward for anyone..."

Adrian mmms. "I think yahr probably right about Da," he says, "I'm just... Not nearly ready t' have that discussion wi' 'im, y'know?" He huffs, then looks back over his shoulder again to see Serena lagging back, a bit, so he motions to Monty for them to pause for a few minutes so she can catch up. "As f'r th' Leftenant, yahr right, there, too. Couldn't 'elp feelin' a bit frosty to 'im at first, but I'm workin' on that... Think he's been avoidin' us, though. We'll talk at our next camp." He hefts his pack up onto his shoulders again. "Lissen, I won't expect y' not t' go back t' th' Mountain after this leg is done... But I've been bitten by this wandahlust, mate. When we get back... I'm gonna ask Lord Ciocan if I c'n keep up mah itinerant mission o' drummin' up support f'r th' Patrol furthah afield th'n th' Western Shore." This is the first time he's mentioned such a plan.

Monty comes to a short pause as Adrian motions for them to stop and let their companions catch up. He welcomes the brief break from walking, and he leans against a tree casually as he takes the brief rest. "Hmm. Yeah, I know, Adj, but...yer gonna have t'have that discussion sooner or later, ya? Might as well do it sooner an' get it outta th'way. Th'longer ya let things linger, th'bigger th'gap's gonna be between you two. An' that's one thing th'Patrol doesn't need right now, wot. He's yer dad, mate. S'not gonna be 'ere forever." He puts a paw in his muzzle and whistles for Lossow to stop as well, so he doesn't get too far ahead of them. "Ey, lad, we're takin' a quick rest..." he explains to him in a raised voice, so he can be heard. His attention shifts back to Adrian as he informs him of his future plans. "That's...somethin' I'm gonna have t'decide when th'time comes, wot..." he replies to his friend. "I dunno, mebbe I'll let ya go spend some time on yer own for awhile. M'sure yer bloody sick of havin' me around anyway," he jokes, with a grin.

Adrian leans against a nearby tree, and shakes his head. "It's not... No, it's not that at all... I know you jest, but..." He rubs a paw over his face. "I know y' doj't have any fam'ly in th' Patrol, or anythin' like tha'. I dunno if y' 'ad any othah friends. But I know y' wanna get back there, at some point... An' truthfully speakin', I do, too. I miss seein' Felicity's smile, y'know? But I know now that I'd feel stifled if I stayed there permanently... I've discovahed things about mahself. That aforementioned wandahlust, f'r one. I don't wanna leave th' bloomin' Long Patrol, wot. It gives me a lot o' purpose. But I also don't wanna spend th' rest o' mah life livin' on th' Western Shore wi' only Halyahd t' provide any sort o' excitement... I think Lord Ciocan will undahstand..." Yerna, who's caught up, harrumps. "Bucks an' their insatiable need f'r travel," she murmurs, shaking her head. "I seen it afore, I'll see it again..."

Monty laughs, for a moment, as Felicity is mentioned. "Heh, now there's one who's prolly pretty glad I've been gone," he chuckles. "Fer some reason, she n'I just never really meshed, y'know? I guess I sorta said th'wrong things at th'wrong times when she's been around, an'...I'm not high on her list of favorite hares, at th'moment..." he shrugs. "Eh, I dunno, maybe she's fergot about me after all this time. Am definitely gonna have t'apologize when we get back." He gives a soft sigh, but he nods to Adrian. "Yeah, I get it, Adj. I do. Personally, I spent a good part of m'early life wantin' t'get into the Patrol, an' honestly, kinda feel it's mah duty t'return t'wot I was doin' before all this started." He chuckles. "But yeah, I think Lord Ciocan will understand, fer sure. It'll be kinda quiet not havin' ya around, been gettin' so used t'ya bein' here, it'll be weird, t'be perfectly honest, mate."

Adrian smiles as Serena nears, and he realizes she'd lagged back a bit whilst filling her pack with wild herbs and safe mushrooms to eat, likely the last the group will find for awhile as wintry weather deepens. "Ah, I mighta known y' were pickin' flowahs," he playfully teases her, and she blushes. "These so-called "flowers," I'll have you know, are important herbs, Adrian. And we're going to need every bit we can find." She stands her ground as well as the best of them. Adrian raises both paws. "Mah apologies, Miss Serena. Yahr right, it's important work." He looks at Monty again, and chuckles. "Eh, well, I know I told ya tha' was mah plan, but it may not be entirely set in stone yet, wot wot. Depends, I s'pose, wha' th' Badger Lord says t' me when we get back, aftah all. Heck, I may take a season or two t' just settle back in, before makin' that request..."

Monty watches the interactions between Adrian and Serena with an amused little grin, before he gives a nod. "Hmm, yep, she's totally right. I knew it was smart t'bring 'er along fer a reason..." he chuckles. "If it were up t'you an' me, we'd prolly end up pickin' th'most poisonous flowers in th'forest. Am surprised we've made it out here as long as we have..." The hare laughs, shaking his head. "Anyhow, c'mon. We'd best get a move on again, before th'weather starts gettin' bad, again. Might also wanna find a good spot t'camp before it gets too dark." The hare nods to Adrian's words. "Yeah, y'definitely should do that. At least take a bit of a rest before goin' out again." He smiles. "I really miss m'garden, too, t'be honest. Hope they found someone t'tend to it since we've been gone."

"AyHOO!"

The call came from ahead, from were the junior officer is waving his saber. It seems Lossow spotted something...

Adrian is just about to answer his friend, when Lossow's call diverts his attention, and he looks that way, straining his eyesight to see what the younger Lieutenant may have found. "Oy, I think 'e's spotted somethin'. Could be a vermin. Keep close to me," he says back to the two does, though Yerna rolls her eyes. This isn't her first rodeo, after all.

Monty's attention is definitely caught upon hearing that call, his ear-and-a-half shooting up, the buck pushing off the tree he'd been leaning against as his gaze shifts over towards where Lossow is. "M'gonna go up n'see wot th'commotion's about. Y'keep an eye on those two," he replies to Adrian with a bit of a teasing grin, "Besides, m'thinkin' Los likes me better, anyways..." he snickers, giving Adrian a nudge, before he trots his way up towards where Lossow is currently stationed.

The road north of the bridge has been devoid of any sign of civilization for many leagues. Now, however, Lossow is standing next to an old wrecked cart train.

Adrian lets Monty go ahead, but he doesn't hang back for long. Eventually, he and the two does also reach the site. "Wot 'ave we 'ere?" he asks. "Looks like... Maybe an ol' bandit attack? Doesn't look too fresh." He pokes around one of the carts. "Agh, dried blood. Could be ages old, though. No tracks, eithah from th' carts or anybeasts. Definitely 'appened long before th' snow fall..."

Monty takes a look at the scene before them, the hare slowly making his way around the cart as he examines things closely. "Hmm. Yeah. Definitely happened awhile ago," he replies, with a nod. "Still. Is best t'keep alert, y'never know if this area's bein' watched by bandits, y'know?" He rejoins the group, arms folding across his chest. "Seems like t'perfect spot for that sorta thing."

Adrian draws one of his smaller daggers, and looks over at Lossow. "Righ-ho, Sah... Wot d' y' think we should do? Poke more at th' carts, maybe look f'r more evidence?" He's deferring to the superior officer, wondering what the younger hare will say to do. He agrees with Monty, too... Though wonders if this isn't bait for some sort of trap.

The place has long been deserted, with the most recent activity pointing to some feet away from the site a lonely cairn of stone. Still the wood seems blackened as if burned in places, and Lossow shakes his head. "I can't rightly say, sergeant." He looks at the woods. "But I'd say it's been more than a few seasons since whatever happened here happened."

Adrian hrmms, and looks about, again. "I honestly think it'd be best if these carts were set alight, t' be honest, he says, as Monty moves off to explore ahead. Adrian takes Lossow aside. "This feels like bait f'r a trap. While wotevah attack 'appened 'ere 'appened ages ago, there's th' air that somebeast 'as been keepin' this spot tended to, or somethin'... Could be a spot vermin use t' ambush good samaritans..."

The junior officer looks around, his face sad. "Do as you will sergeant. But methinks there's little need for it..." He walks to the forage edge and peers at the ground then lets out an 'ah ha!' And bends down. He comes up with a broken sword blade, rusted with age. "Well, it's not much. And not that exciting..."

Adrian nods his head. "We c'n use some o' the wood fr'm th' carts for a campfire." He looks at the old blade. "Yahr first souvenir, Sah." Is he joking now? He claps the younger hare on the shoulder. "I get the othah two t' help select some wood f'r th' fire... Night'll be 'ere, soon...Sah."

"Very well." Lossow nods, looking back at the wreck. "But stay clear of the stone pile. It has an ill-look about it and I think we should all be happy to have it behind us..."

As well it should. The clearing was burned some time past - and the grass around the stone based was still blackened and dead.

Adrian and Serena spend time breaking off loose planks from the carts, then, once the Sergeant is satisfied, he directs them away from the burned clearing. He doesn't believe in ghosts, but if he did... That spot would certainly be haunted.

-
-
-

This was an interesting experiment - instead of logging off I idled/afk'd to log Monty and Adrian's RP and it worked out decently enough, plus i was able to fit in some actual RP at the end when I felt better

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-03-14 02:30:31 AM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2021-03-13 04:08:26 PM

Ol'random
Website

Re: On the Road Again... Adrian and Monty, + Lossow: Adventure!

HEADING NORTH DURING THE WORST WINTER IN LIVING MEMORY!

What could possibly go wrong, eh?

3/12/21
IC'ly, like the log above, this scene takes place some time ago, this time during the first winter storm of this past winter - sometime during last November, I believe.
Sgt. Adrian and SbLt. Lossow

Of course they had to head north while the worst winter in recent memory settled in. Of course they had little in the ways of proper protection against the cold. Of course there's not been a blooming village for weeks.

Contemplating his will as his breath comes out, SbLt Lossow rubs his paws together as he wraps his cloak round him tighter. While he was still marching forward it was out of an effort to find shelter - not because of any sense of drive or mission but because he had stopped feeling the tips of his ears a half hour ago!

Adrian, conversely, seems to be handling the weather better than Lossow. He'd asked Monty to go on ahead to scout the path forward, and passed his cloak to Serena to keep her warm, but the hare seemed to be doing just fine with the cold. Must some of that northern hare in his blood. He'd been told stories as a young leveret of his distant cousins that still lived up north, and one of his distant ancestors had been chief of a hare tribe in the snowy wilds. "Ah, feel that brisk air, mates." Yerna gives him a side eye and scoffs. "Pah."

"Can't believe there's some hares who are excited for this bloody stuff." Lossow shakes his head, freeing his snout of a small pile of white. The weather has been getting worse and worse as they headed north, and today (if it really was day anymore - the dull lighting has been universal and unchanging for hours on end) seems to be the worst of all. "Sergeant!" Shouting over the rising gale to be barely heard the sub-lieutenant turns back to were he assumes Adrian is. "Try looking to the left of us while I'll try looking to the right - don't go to far and try having the hares in between of us within sight of each other!"

Despite not minding the cold as much, Adrian had to agree that the darkening skies were a sign of ill omen, along with the increasing winds and snow. A right regular blizzard, it looked like, though Adrian had no frame of reference for what *those* should look like. Ears perking, he hears the sblt's words, and cupping his paws around his muzzle, he calls back, "Aye!" Moving to the left, toward a dark shape he recognizes as a tree trunk, he looks back. "Serena, Yerna... Keep in a line. Careful... Don't trip." He comes to the shape, and rests his paw upon it. Yep, just a tree.

IT'S SOMETHING! Lossow, on the other paw, finds nothing but a seemingly endless void of white and cold. "If I recall the maps correctly," he calls out, back towards the other hares, "I believe we've left Mossflower behind some days ago for the fields - there's mountain range somewhere up here, but I'll be damned if I could see it!"

Adrian would pull out his map, but he doubts it would prove very helpful. "We should head north-easterly," he answers, over the din. "There's anothah forest off tha' way... An' a bloomin' village called Noonvale, if th' map is to be believed! But tha's most likely still a week or more from our current position..." He stop, trying to think, as he guides the two does over toward the lee of the tree. "I think there's anothah bloomin' sea tha' way, too."

"Wait-" Lossow blinks snow out of his eyes, confused. "Isn't that beyond the mountain range?" Bloody hell he should have been more careful to study up on those maps. "Noonvale? Isn't that place a part of the Martin myth the Abbey Beasts tell of? Regardless," He draws his cloak about him tighter, "It'd be great to find any settlement named Noonvale or not. I know there's a great city to the east, but I don't know if they're friendly to woodlanders, or the Patrol."

Adrian is admittedly not the most familiar with the Martin legend. Noonvale did ring a faint bell, though. The mention of a city much closer draws his attention, though. "Aye, yahr right," he says. "We can't possibly cross th' mountains in this weather, but we c'n try t' skirt th' base..." At this point, he rummages in his pack, and extracts the map, so he can look. He doesn't have any flat surface to set it upon. Sure enough, there *is* some kind of settlement roughly directly to the east. "Colinsel... Or wotevah. We might 'ave t' try it, Sah. At least... Tha's mah suggestion. We c'n skirt th' mountain base 'ere, or we c'n try f'r a pass there, but it's more 'n' likely snowed in. This'll take us at least three t' four days off our original track."

"Perhaps we should stick to the road-" Or what we think is the road, Lossow adds privately, "-Until the weathah clears! It wouldn't do to get lost in the wilderness in winter, I say!"

Adrian looks up at the angry sky. "Normally I'd agree," he says, "If we're gonna try tha', though, we're gonna need t' find some sorta sheltah here soon. I mean, th' cold ain't botherin' me too much, yet, but I c'n tell th' temperature is steadily droppin'. We need t' find a cave or cabin, or some such. We may 'ave t' hunkah down 'n' ride out th' worst o' th' storm... An' tha's wot I think this is, a storm."

"Well right now I'm thinking of a place to hide from the storm!" Lossow shouts back, stumbling forward. "When did that blasted ditch go away, anyway? I coulda sworn there was one north of the bridge. Though!" He stops suddenly as the idea occurs to him. "Halt! That tree you saw! With all the snow falling we can try and dig a burrow in it, and use the tents as the inside layer maybe?" It seems crazy to the junior officer but he's desperate. "My tail's gonna fall off soon, that's for certain."

Adrian cups his paws around his muzzle again, and calls out, "Montyyy, oy! Come back toward mah voice!" He knows the other buck hasn't gone that far ahead, sohe should be back with them shortly. In the meantime, he looks back at the tree, and nods. "I feel like th' road on this side o' th' bridge is less maintained than th' southahn portion, wot." He rummages into his pack again. "Diggin' a burrow sounds like a good plan right now. Serena, Yerna, we'll need 'elp."

The sub lieutenant turns waving the rest to follow. "Very good sergeant, and I can't imagine the last beasts to use this road - I don't even think there's been record of travel up here since before Lord Sebastian's reign!" Lossow squints, searching the cold dark for the tree. "Luckily I know a thing about shelters in snow! It wasn't all book learning in the 67th!"

"Unfortunately, we're unlikely t' meet any othah travelahs because o' that," Adrian remarks, as he starts digging out a small den in the snow on the leeward side of the tree, the most protected side from the blowing snow. "Mont, staht settin' up th' tent, wot. We'll try to get it inta this 'ollow 'ere, wot. Oy, I thought t'was bad when we was down near tha' Loam'edge place..."

"Isn't the south a desert?" Lossow has admittedly never heard of Loamhegde, or paid very much attention to the lands beyond Southsward (and even then he could only say there's a castle down there and little else). "Let's try to pack the snow thickly, and make sure the base around the tent's firm - if I remember, the snow should act as an insulator if you will, like a blanket. Has something to do with melting and freezing and all that." Kneeling down he's already set to work alongside the sergeant. "Hopefully the storm'll pass in a day at most, but if not..."

"If not, we need t' make sure 'ypothermia doesn't set in," the Sergeant replies. He's read about Hypothermia in books back at the Library in Salamandastron, but he's never witnessed it first paw...and doesn't want to now. "And yes, big bloody desert. It was bloody well 'ot, too. Not too much fun... But I think a blizzahd in th' north is probably a bit more problematic. I guess we'll see." He joins Lossow in packing the snow hard, and Yerna does, as well, working wordlessly. Serena and Monty working on the tent. All working quickly before the worst of the storm arrives.

Walter Lossow works on in grim silence, taking what Adrian said to heart. After sometime, though he stands, stumbling as he exposes himself to the wind but soon regains his footing. "Wood! I don't suppose we have anything dry enough, but perhaps trying for a small fire in the area we've dug out could help the cold? Can't use the tree - it'd be too wet I think. Less you lot don't mind smoke."

Adrian looks up from his work. "We'll need a vent, if there's smoke," he says, "Or we'll suffocate." He takes a look over the tent, now being set up in the dug out hollow. "Ah, Serena, let's try t' find some wood... But don't stray too fah." He looks to Lossow. "I'll see wot we c'n find."

"Very good, sergeant Adrian!" Lososw looks up at the branches, and at the snow wall around him. "Perhaps we can build a wall around the fire, dig out some more. The branches seem to keep most of the snow off, and I'm more worried about the wind in terms of keeping the fire going. If we can block the wind we might fine keeping the fire outside the tent..." Kneeling back down, the officer starts clearing a place. "Obviously we'll need a hare to keep watch at all times, and I suppose I'll have to go first."

Adrian nods his head. "Sah," he replies, then moves off in tight circle of the immediate area around the base of the tree with Serena, picking up as many branches and sticks as they can find. "I'll volunteeah f'r second watch," he replies, still being in earshot of the officer. He won't head out further than that. Too unsafe. "'Opefully we won't be stuck 'ere a week."

"A week? Oh Sebastian." The use of the old badger lord's name as en expletive was a slip up on the part of Lossow, "Well sergeant let's bloody pray we're not stuck here for a week." He has a flint and steel for his belt now, ready to try and start a fire. "Any of you don't happen to have any scrape paper tucked dryly away in your pack, now do you?"

Adrian brings over an armful of sticks and branches, and sets them down for the sub-lieutenant. He let's the expletive pass... The sergeant's been working on keeping a professional with his younger superior, and decides it's not his place to bring it up. "Well, sah, let's 'ope. If worse comes t' worse, we still got plenty o' food, an' we c'n melt snow f'r watah." He feels in his pockets, and pulls out a few scraps and slips. "These should do for kindlin'..."

The junior officer takes the scraps gratefully. "Thank you, sergeant. To be quite honest I wasn't expecting anything, considering how soaked we all are, but I'm not going to complain about good fortune while we're buried to our ears in bad snow, eh?" With the means to make a fire there, Lossow sets to work. It takes some time, far longer than starting a fire in good conditions (for obvious reasons), but he does manage a small kindling. "Better than nothing, I suppose, but I'll keep it going."

Adrian nods, and with the tent up, and the fire going, he gets out their sleeping rolls, and gets the does inside. Before they fully settle down, he stops by the fire, to speak more freely with Lossow. "Well, Sah, if I might say so... We're gettin' along bettah now, eh wot? I'll admit it rankled me t' get a youngah superiah officah t' have t' say 'Yes Sah,' and 'No Sah,' to, but Yahr good stuff, Mate. An' if we live through this bloody blizzahd, I'll uncork this bottle o' Octobah Ale I knicked from Redwall back there, an' we'll share a drink, wot."

Lossow blinks, unsure of how to take the sergeants words. "I suppose that well and good, Sergeant Adrian, but if I may - you know the pain many grizzled sergeants and even privates suffer, like old serg- well, lieutenant Greg now? It's been seasons since I was there at the mountain." He's jesting though points to the bottle and says in a mock-serious tone. "Daresay I'll hold you to that, sergeant!"

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-03-13 04:25:37 PM)

#3 2021-03-14 02:04:13 AM

Ol'random
Website

HARECICLES, or Hare's Going in Circles?

3/13/21
Like the above, sometime last year in the winter

Sgt. Adrian, SbLt. Lossow, and Cpl. Monty

CRISIS ADVERTED!
They'd survived for three days beneath that tree, huddled like wet rats around the weak fire; but they had fire, and they had food, and they had shelter.
They lived.
And now the storm had past, causing the terrain around them to be transformed into fields of endless snow under a clear blue sky. It was still bitterly cold but they could see. Rising from the furthest marches of the horizon, far to the right, the distant tall shapes of mountains could just be made out - and giving the hares a landmark to work with.

Adrian crawls out that hole, and he stretches. "Well, mate... We c'n see th' bloody mountains this time." He pulls the map out, and then compares. "Okay, that should be north... This pass I pointed out three days ago is more 'n' likely snowed in now. We should try headin' more towahd tha' city, there, an' circle 'round th' mountain base. If we can. Tha' may be snowed in, too, but we can't wait 'ere for th' bloomin' snow t' melt... Tha' could take months."

Monty just seems generally exhausted and worn out, and upon finally being able to leave the spot where they'd been holed up, the smaller hare peers into the distance and stares at the sight of the mountains in the distance. He leans against a tree, giving a light sigh, and he nods to the other two. "Yeah, sounds like a plan..." he responds. "Am more n'happy to be anywhere other n'that blasted hole in the ground." He rubs his paws together lightly, gaze averted as the others decide what to do.

"Noonvale o'h the port?" Even peering at the map as he was now Lossow can't quite place where they are. They'd traveled further than he'd thought, that's for certain. "If you mean Collin-what's-its-name, I believe we past that road some time ago. It's closer to the River Moss, least as far as I can tell."
Monty's exhaustion is shared by the sub-lieutenant, but the sheer joy of being free is giving Walter enough fuel to push on. "It's too damn bad there's nothing between here and those towns. What I'd give for a warm bed."
"I suppose we should get moving again, eh?" It was the first time Lossow had fully stepped outside the hole they'd been trapped in and he was giddy to be out. "It's a nice day considering..."

Adrian frowns slightly. "Unfortunately, we may 'ave t' backtrack a bit. It's obvious th' road forwahd is impassable. We can't possibly move northwahd this way... If this even is *still* th' road..." He points to the map. "We should 'ead East, towahd tha' coast." He frowns. It's obvious the hares are surrounded by a dense, snowy forest, but the map doesn't show with any clarity how far across the forest is. "It's unavoidable, Waltah," he says, dropping formality. "We'll 'ave t' abandon th' road somewhere around 'ere, an' cut through these woods. There should be anothah road...thataway." He points in a generally easterly direction.

Monty hmmms. "Eh, still. Not like it's the worst thing we've had t'do on this trip so far..." He nods, a look flickering within his eyes for a moment, before he sighs. "Feels like we've been out here for at least ten seasons now, eh?" He chuckles dryly. "Well, if we're gonna be off, we might as well get a move on while we can. With our luck another bloomin' storm'll start up an' we'll end up as harecicles."

The sub-lieutenant seems unconvinced by Adrian's words. "Shouldn't this road continue north until coming upon a river? Noonvale is up there, and I believed that was were we were intended to go, no?" The question seems genuine as Lossow has little knowledge of the northern lands - and what he does know are from maps that were outdated even in his grandfather's time. "And what beyond Collinsol, Collin-sol? No matter, what beyond that port is on the east shore?"

Adrian looks at the map, then looks up, and toward the north. Along what he assumes to be the road, but which is so buried in snow, it's become impossible to tell. "No, yahr right, wot. Noonvale *should* be that way, but it's hahd t' tell if we're even on th' Road anymore. There's snow at least 10 feet deep ahead o' us. But if we 'ead easterly towahd th' ocean, there should be less snow th' closah we get t' th' coast. That'll be easiah goin' for us. There's a smallish mountain range there, and I think it's th' one we're lookin' at right now. We c'n skirt th' south flank or th' north flank."

Monty nods. "At this point, takin' the easier route seems like the smart thing to do. We don't hafta prove anythin' to anyone anymore, wot."

Lossow studies the map further. "There should be a forest in the mountain direction too, though I can't make- Hang on, just a moment." The hare drops to his knees, looking for his pack. "Ah-ha!" He found it, digging through his things. A small brass spyglass, never really used, is in his paws. "As soon as we spot the forest that could give us a good idea of where we are, especially if we take the sun into account. What time would you say it is, few hours past dawn, yes?" One eye is shut, the other looking into the distance. "There's a slight rise but I can't tell if it's trees. Anyway, I think if we continue north, or as near to north as we can, we should be careful to keep those mountains on our right. I'm certain we can find the road again as we didn't stray far from it with this tree. And if we keep heading north - we can hit the river up there, hopefully. All this instead of taking the long way around and making poor Monty here feel like it's been twenty seasons out here."

Adrian squints, and shields his eyes with his right paw, and he can make out the rise. The sub-LT makes some good points, he can't disagree. "If the snow is 'ard-packed, there ought not be an issue, then. If this map is right there's no bridge across that other rivah, but we'll cross that when we get to it... Lessee... Will we need snow shoes?"

"Snow shoe-" Lossow's baffled. "Ah, yes, of course, sergeant. Carry on, and we'll head north. I hear the sea-side is terrible in the wintertime, anyway."

Adrian nods over at the younger hare. "Yes. So we don't sink inta th' snow. Read about 'em in books back 'ome..." The work takes about half an hour, but soon there's a pair for all five hares, and they can start traipsing through that snow. "Mah fam'ly came from th' North, long ago, y' know tha'? Still got some cousins up there... Maybe we'll meet 'em, eh?"

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-03-14 02:29:52 AM)

#4 2021-05-22 05:29:00 PM

Ol'random
Website

"You didn't say the left way, yes?"

5/17/21
Sgt. Adrian and SbLt Lossow

They'd survived the blizzards. The massive storms had blown through, and blanketed the land with up to six feet of snow. Eventually, it got so bad that the group were forced to shelter ina cave for nearly an entire week. Their rations had run low, but somehow all the hares survived. Eventually, they started to press north again, still following Adrian's map, in the general direction of a little dot called "Noonvale." It looked to be the only settlement this far north, and they are in desperate need of new supplies. The weather is warming, as spring approaches, despite the cooler climes of this forest...

"Noodvale doesn't bloody exist, I'm sure of it."
The dark muttering had come from the sub-lieutenant Lossow, who'd nearly lost his ears to the cold. "Why any creature should try and build a settlement up in this most wretched place is beyond me, same with us being ordered up here! Though I suppose any hares we happen to come across will be right hardy folk, if they haven't frozen to death."

Adrian chuffs, and laughs. "Yah've nevah met th' Northern 'Ares, y' haven't. I got cousins up 'ere. This is where mah fam'ly hails from, originally." And, he suspects, his brother may be up with his cousins even now... He shakes his head, dismissing that thought. "As f'r Noonvale, it's our only bet. If I'm right about where we are now... We're just about a day an' a half t' two days away..."

"Well, I had simply thought they'd be closer to the coasts at least, like that big hare Kasimir, with the accent." Lossow shoots back. "But Noo'vale itself - well, I shan't expect much, to be rather frank. My only memory of it is in connection to the Martin myth, with very little tangible fact connected."

Adrian hrmms. "That was thousands o' seasons ago, I wagah. So it might be well 'n' truly gone, eh wot." He looks back over his shoulder, to make sure the other three hares are keeping up, before he looks to Lossow again. "Th' map I've been carryin' came from th' library at Salamandastron. Quinten gave it to me, 'imself. Tol' me nevah t' lose it, an', if possible, t' make any corrections as necessary. And it's old, mate. Tha's why it still shows that ol' Loam'edge place..."

"Well, least that seems a mercy," the junior officer shakes his head, falling in pace with the sergeant. "I thought it was the one nicked from the abbey library, and I'm more trusting of the Patrol's records myself. I'm not even going to ask what was 'Loamhedge.'"

"Ancient abbey, oldah 'n' Redwall," Adrian replies, anyway. "Least, tha's wot their Abbot tol' me... I thought it was a town. Tha' was a mess. They got an addah there, currently. Me 'n' Mont weren't able to rout them out, I'm afraid. Much t' mah annoyance... They stole an 'are from us, an'... Well, it doesn't do t' dwell on that." He sets his jaw grimly, still determined to one day go back and avenge her senseless death.

"Well, it's in the middle absolutely nowhere," Lossow replies with a light chuckle, "So you needn't worry of ever going back to that place. Sounds horrid."
He adds, after a moment: "Of course, we're currently in the middle of nowhere ourselves."

Adrian nods. "An' we'll do well t' keep our wits about us. We're nearin' a place called 'Marshank,' an' I do know some of its story... An' it ain't pretty. It tends to be a vermin 'ideout. Th' five o' could be ovahwhelmed if'n we ain't careful, wot."

Surprise flashes over the sub-lieutenant's face. "Marshank, you say? Now that is a place I've heard tell of. A squirrel who passed by the 67th told a story of being there- of course I could only understand half of what he bloody said his accent was so thick, sounded like he was speaking around marbles, really. Been used as a vermin hideout recently, leastways in the past twenty seasons or so I heard tell."

Adrian frowns. That's not what he'd hoped to hear. It's just a few days march from Noonvale, according to the map, and the news of five lone Long Patrol hares being in the area would more than likely travel fast, if the aincient fortress is currently being occupied. "Within th' past 20 seasons. Agh. If we 'ad a full garrison be'ind us I'd feel a lot bloody bettah. But just th' five... Let's 'ope there ain't an army in residence currently."

"I'm not sure how long they would've kept it going, I'd say. It's been a long damn time." Lossow replies a relaxed shrug. "Most vermin bands have a life time of a season at most! I'd be bloody well shocked if they're still in that fort."

Adrian nods, and he pauses to take a swig of water from his canteen. He peers on northward. "There should be a fork in this path somewhere along here. We need to take the right branch."

"We're following a path?" Lossow mutters to himself, "Could have fooled me." He bows his head to the sergeant. "Very good, and two days or so, if we stop for the night?"

Adrian nods. "A very old path. Believe it or not, this eventually connects up to the Great Road through Mossflower. But, up here... Seems to get little use, to judge by how overgrown it is." He pauses before a tree. There's the remains of sign in front of it. Heavily faded and decayed. "This is the fork. I think." He pulls out the map to check, slowly unrolling it. "Two days, give-or-take, Sah. Depends how overgrown the rest of the path is."

Nodding slowly, the sub-lieutenant takes a step to the right. "You didn't say the left way, yes?"

Adrian nods. "Right. I mean... We go right." He knows the sun is starting to set, so they'll be pitching a camp soon.
Lossow looks up at the sky, wondering how the sun looks that moment on the western sea. "Right it is then, and if Noonvale doesn't exist anymore, and we starve for lack of rations, we eat Monty first."

"Sah!" But of course, it is meant in jest... Or is it?

Lossow's tone is light, a clear joke; though perhaps there is some worry behind the morbid jest.

#5 2021-05-31 06:12:57 PM

Montamillion

(OOC: Managed to get in an RP between Monty and Adrian, so here it is! smile)

The forest is pretty thick, and only growing thicker the further north the group presses. The path has grown pretty overgrown at points, however, indicating that not many beasts make this journey these days. If it wasn't marked clearly on the old map he carries, Adrian would never believe there's a village ahead. They're less than a day away, now, if his estimation is correct. Falling back a bit, letting Lossow go on ahead, Adrian falls in alongside his friend, Monty. "Mmm, y've been quiet, mate. Coin f'r yahr thoughts?"

Monty had indeed spent most of this particular journey ruminating in his thoughts and letting the otter two take the reigns, hanging back a little while the others forge on ahead. Staring at the ground as he ambles his way along behind Adrian and Lossow, the hare jumps in surprise as suddenly Adrian is there beside him. "Gah!" He blinkblinks at his friend, regaining his composure. "Blimey, mate, next time warn me when yer gonna drop in outta th'sky. Almost bonked m'bonce on that tree branch way up there, I jumped so high!" He chuckles, giving a shake of his head as the question presented. "Eh, if that was th'case, I'd be completely flat broke, nothin' rattlin' about up here but m'dusty ol' brain, y'know." He taps at his temple with a paw. Taking a look around, he hmms. "Grass is pretty long, perfect place for serpents t'be hidin' out..."

Adrian hmms, looking off into the underbrush. "Possibly," he replies. "I've been keepin' an ear out." With the other hares moving on a little ahead, he takes the time to enjoy the cooler air of such a thick pine forest. "Lissen... We deserve a break, eh? I've been talkin' t' th' Sub-Leftenant, an' 'e agrees...that if this "Noonvale" place really exists, we should...tarry, for awhile. At our leisure." He looks over at his friend.

Monty thinks over Adrian's words quietly as he continues to move forward, also hanging back and enjoying the cool air and shade of the forest. He draws his blade and begins to lightly swipe at the grass in their path as they make their way down the path. "Hmmm. Not a bad idea, really, could definitely rest these achin' footpaws for a few extra days. Am kinda torn though between gettin' in a good rest, an' tryin' to make our way back to the mountain as soon as possible. I've been gettin' an ominous feelin' as of late that somethin's just not right over there, mate. Not sure what it is, really, maybe it's just m'brain playin' tricks on me, y'know?" The smaller hare gives a little shrug. "I mean, not a whole lot we could do about it now, t'be honest."

Adrian hrmms, and he nods, though he sets his jaw grimly. "Aye, I know 'ow y' feel..." He sighs. "I'm torn mahself. I don't relish seein' Fathah again anytime soon... Tha's partially why I jumped at th' chance t' keep goin' north when Lord Ciocan offered it." He looks up toward the treetops and the sky above. "I've been keepin' somethin' from y', an' it's prob'ly about time I tol' you. Somethin' Fathah felt 'e needed t' tell me back when we were at Redwall."
Monty's ear perks, and he glances over at Adrian as they walk, his head tilting a little in curiosity at his words. "Oh yeah? Wot's that, mate? I mean, I don't blame ya honestly, I haven't been th'most chatty as of late, honestly." He chuckles. "So yeah, might as well tell me wot y'need t'tell me, now's as good a time as any, I suppose..."

Adrian nods, and he bumps his paw against Monty's nearest shoulder. "Ah, y' don't need t' be chatty," he remarks. "I honestly just appreciate y' bein' around, quiet or no'." He then sighs, and looks ahead. "So, anyway... Mah parents lied. Agh... Not just mah parents... Th' Long Patrol 'as been lyin' to me, for seasons. Ever since I was a leveret. When Fathah tol' me, I'll admit mah trust was a bit shaken." He shakes his head. "Sorry, I'm beatin' around th' bloody bush. Back when we were at Redwall, aftah I accepted th' assignement t' go furthah north, th' Majah pulled me aside privately an' was all... "I need t' come clean... Yahr goin' north, an' y'll prob'ly meet yahr brothah." An' I was all, wot th' bloody 'ell..."

Monty blinks in surprise as the news is relayed, the hare lifting a paw and rubbing at the back of his head as he stares at Adrian. "...wait, WOT? Yer BROTHER? So y'got a sibling then, eh?" He bites the inside of his cheek for a moment as his gaze returns to the path they are following. "Whoa. Don't blame ya fer bein' upset, mate, that's....that's definitely not somethin' that should be dropped on yer head outta nowhere. Heh..." He tries to think of something else to say, knowing the subject is likely a sore one for his friend. "...so, why would they've hid this from ya all this time? Did 'e do somethin' bad an' they sent him away, or wot?"

Adrian mmms. "I've got four siblin's, actually. Three are youngah an' they're back 'ome. But mah oldah brothah was supposedly dead." He grimaces. "At least, that's wot I was tol' since I was young. But no, 'e's very much alive, an' even worse, 'e went AWOL from th' Patrol, about 10 seasons ago. 'E jus' skipped out without a word. Apparently it shamed mah parents somethin' fierce. An' apparently 'e sent 'em a lettah via messengah 5 seasons ago. 'E's married, Mont. Or at least 'e was. An' 'e's somewhere up north... Possibly livin' with distant cousins. Sooo... Yeah."

Monty laughs, a little. "Ah yeah, I bloody knew y'had other siblins, mate, sorry...m'brain's just a bit on th'fuzzy side y'know. Am guessin' all th'blows to the bonce are startin' to catch up with me, heh." He nods slowly as Adrian further explains. "Ah. Gotcha. That's...definitely some pretty interestin' news. I'd never think of doin' such a thing as desertin' th'patrol, but on th'other paw, I...c'n kinda see why this whole thing wouldn't be for everyone. I suppose that's somethin' that one would decide on before they joined, but...I can't judge anyone else for anythin', mate." He gives a little shrug. "So...that bein' said...that th'reason why you're plannin' on travelin' north once we get back? Y'wanna go find im?"

Adrian frowns, and nods. "I have to. Lossow knows a little, I didn't tell 'im as much as I tol' you... 'E's thinkin' all legally and o' th' Patrol 'n' all that, an' 'e wants t' take mah brothah in f'r goin' AWOL so many seasons ago... I dunno if I c'n do that in good conscience, though..."

Monty shakes his head. "Honestly, wot good would it do? If he's got a family an' he's happy after all these seasons, we should just let 'im be. I mean yeah, definitely go see 'im fer sure, but as far as arrestin' 'im goes, I vote nay. No reason for it, it wouldn't prove a thing t'anyone, mate." The small hare glances to Adrian. "You could definitely ask 'im th'reason why 'e did it, o'course, just t'know, but...that's as far as I'd take it. If y'want, I'll talk t'Lossow about it too, let im know my feelins on th'subject. I think bein' through as much as I have, my opinion might hold a bit o'weight..." he chuckles. "I'd hope, anyway."

Adrian nods, and he rests a paw on his friend's shoulder. "Tha' would mean a lot," he says, looking into the other hare's eyes. "Y've been a bettah friend th'n I've evah known, I 'ope y' know that. I'd mahch t' the gates o' 'Ell by yahr side..."

Monty chuckles dryly as he grins at Adrian. "Heh. Let's 'ope it nevah comes t'that, mate. But if we were evah in a situation like that, y'know I'd stay right there with ya, bucko. Y'supported me when a lot of others didn't, goin' through all th'foggy brain stuff I was dealin with, an' I haven't forgotten it." He claps his paw on the paw that's resting on his shoulder, giving Adrian a smile and a nod. "Ahem. So, er, anyhow. We, ah. We better catch up with th'others, they're walkin' like their scuts 'er on fire, gonna end up leavin' us behind!" He sheaths his sword, giving his ear a waggle. "C'mon mate, sally forth n'alla that talk!" He then attempts to pick up his gait a little more so they wouldn't end up losing their comrades.

Adrian nods, shaking his head after having gone mushy for a moment there. As the two pick up the pace, they pass a fallen-down sign that reads [<-- Noonvale 2 Miles] Adrian sees it, and he lets out a whoop. "Hurry up, you scut-butts, we've only got two miles to go! We'll be there before dusk!" And now that their destination is so close, they make haste on their way.

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

#6 2021-08-08 04:00:56 PM

Ol'random
Website

"We just accept random Privates now. Running for your life will do that."

8/07/21
The Long Patrol: Sgt. Adrian, Pvt. Boaz*, Cpl. Monty, and SbLt Lossow
Plague-Eye's Raiders: Atticus (Lossow), Plague-Eye (Boaz), Halfsnout (Adrian)
Noonvale: Birch (Lossow)

*Conscripted as of this log

The group had finally reached Noonvale, after many weeks of travel from Redwall. This is the furthest north Adrian has ever been, and the cool, temperate weather is unlike what he's used to down south on the Western Shore. In short... It's a good place to rest up and recover. The Noonvalians had welcomed the group into their small community with open arms, keen to hear tales of Salamandastron, the Long Patrol, and their exploits at Redwall Abbey, a location fairly legendary in Noonvale lore thanks to Martin the Warrior. Monty wasn't too keen on the group relaxing for so long, and always remains vigilant, but Adrian is perhaps a little more lax. Yerna is Yerna, and Serena just wants to be with Adrian. And what of Lossow?

For his part, sub-lieutenant Walter Lossow is currently sitting on the lawn alongside the little road, his uniform jacket off and hanging on a nearby branch. He's still silently thanking whatever can hear above that they made it to the north alive and with the winter long past, and that Noonvale actually exists! WITH FOOD!

Needless to say, Lossow is perfectly happy to sit on his bum for a few weeks to recover.

Boaz has seen the Long Patrol hares arrive in the area and was curious of them, but has kept his distance, he has paid more attention to the camp that's a little too close to Noonvale for his liking as he watches the camp and listens in to who appears to be in charge "We strike soon my raven has found their entrance." Boaz mutters and  quickly decides to go try to warn the village...if he can.

A little behind the vermin leader a ferret leans on a bec-de-corbin, a polearm.

"Of course, of course." The creature mutters, rolling his shoulders. "So then, great Plague-Eye, who shall lead the forlorn assault? Not I, for sure - I don't have the stomach for such things."

Adrian pads through the grass, to join Walter near the pond. He'd been chatting with the leader of the village, an older mouse, Elder Birch, and had gotten a promise of more supplies for when the group inevitably departs. "We've been lookin' f'r ya," he says to the other hare. "Birch wants t' speak t' ya. He wants t' talk to us all separately... I dunno why. I think... I think 'e might 'ave th' second sight..." His voice drops to a whisper. "'E asked about mah fathah... An' othah membahs o' mah fam'ly." Outside the village, in the camp, Halfsnout the fox, so-named because half his muzzle was lopped off and replaced with a wooden nose, makes to sock the mouthy ferret. "Hush you, when our leader speaks." He's a rather imposing specimen of a fox, and many of the younger lackeys give him a wide berth, knowing he has a hair-trigger temper, and virtually complete freedom to do as he pleases from their leader.

Plaque-eye watches his group and nods "Let's..visit the village shall we?" He smirks "It will be a...lovely surprise." Boaz meanwhile is not yet to Noonvale.

Eye twitching for a moment, the sub-lieutenant soon stands and stretches.
"Very good sergeant, but I dare think as to why. But such is the life I suppose." Lossow grabs the jacket from the branch and deftly puts it on - the green hue of his uniform nearly perfectly matching the green of the woods all around them. "Come on then! We shan't keep the old mouse waiting for long, no, that wouldn't do."

The ferret restrains himself from whacking the fox over the head, forcing a smile.
"Of course, I do forgot myself sometimes - just as you have, my dearest snotnosed friend. Which one of us is being paid more, I wonder, hmm? Recall that I am to fill the role of an observer mainly - and adviser, or so the contract does read - but I forget myself once again!" He hisses, gently slapping his forehead. "You of course can't read, you have my apology, my good fox."

Plaque eye sends a glare "Do be quiet...or someone besides woodlanders will die this eve." He walks on leading the group closer...and closer...and closer yet.

"RABBITS!" The shriek came from the village center, and Lossow - and Atticus, hidden with the other vermin in the wood - winces. "IT AIN'T GOOD TO KEEP ME WAITING! SO RUDE!"

Adrian looks at Lossow, and nods. "Well, Sah, we gotta keep the locals 'appy, right? Y' know th' ol' fogey's blind, anyway, so you don't 'ave to wash tha' Rhubahb Surprise off yahr muzzle there." They near the center of Noonvale, where various houses stand, near the idyllic meadow. Considering some of the places he's been to the past couple of seasons, Adrian could get used to it. Regardless, they arrive at the center of the village, to speak to the old, blind mouse. "We're hares, sah." Outside, again, the fox snarls, and raises his fist. "Why I oughta!" He would punch the lights out of this punk, but the horde is readying themselves for the raid. This couldn't be going better, really.

"THIS OLD FOGGY AIN'T DEAF YOU KNOW!" The blind mouse yells in a way that would say otherwise.

"Sergeant, lead the way." Lossow mutters as he wipes his face anyway.

When the two patrollers reach the village center the mouse is waiting, looking for all the world as if they haven't been shrieking and instead patiently has been siting with his paws clasped. "And I know what you are, rabbits. Hares, close enough. Only do it t'mildly annoy you, of course."

Boaz meanwhile gets close to the entry but gets hit with one of those knock out darts, he hears a voice before he passes out "Naughty naughty now, you almost ruined the surprise."

"Remember," The ferret leans forward, whispering into the fox's ear with a pleasant smile, "Remember that a threat is worth little if you do not intend to follow through." He withdraws, quietly moving far away from the vermin as he slings the polearm over his shoulder and grasps for the little pipe and darts hanging at his belt which is gilt in gold.

Halfsnout grumps. He can strike fear into the other members of Plague-Eye's horde, but this ferret punk shows no fear. He won't let this slide. For now, though, he readies his curved sword, and gestures to the weasel and rats behind him. "You follow me, the rest, follow Plague-Eye." He raises his free paw, to hold them. Almost the entire village of woodlanders is distracted by Elder Birch, so the time is nearly at paw. Adrian, meanwhile, inclines his respectfully. "Yes, sah. We seek yahr wisdom again... Or, rathah, Sub-Leftenant Waltah Lossow does."

"Of course, of course." The mouse waves a paw. "To be frank, hare, I don't much care for pomp, though I appreciate the effort. Now then Lososw my lad! I know neither of you wanted to see me, though forgive an old mouse for wanting to tell you of the last time the Long Patrol came here."

Lossow nods, remaining respectfully quiet as Birch launches into his story.

"You see, many seasons ago, when I were younger than either of you, we had this wonderful troop come through - ate us nearly out of house and home of course - but they were good hares. The 67th they called themselves I recall, and wore a uniform much like your own, Walter - is it alright if I call you by first name? And what about you, sergeant? Does Adrian work? Anyway, back to my point...." He pauses, thinking.

"Ah yes, there were vermin trouble, there was - and you could smell it on the wind. The Patrol helped us back then a great deal, and I sincerely hope you lot do the same, to carry on the tradition as it were. As the same smell - the vermin - I can smell that now actually."

Adrian blanches. "W-wot?" he asks, paw reaching for his rapier... But Noonvale is hidden, there couldn't possibly...

Plaque -eye grins as he raises his blade and gives the signal to attack! Nothing is yelled as that would be no fun, for the vermin anyways, a couple mice are surprised by the entry but quickly fall! The surprise attack, starts now!

Halfsnout nods as well, and he charges in from a different angle. "Remember, no killing, unless they fight back! This is a slave raid!" He has to make sure this kill-happy bunch actually remembers what they're after. As the vermin stream in, the peaceful village turns to chaos, as adults and dibbuns attempt to scatter.

A small hiss is heard as the ferret blows the dart out- another woodlander falls, not dead but asleep. As the vermin all around him rush forward to attack Atticus sets about taking prisoners.

"Oh hell. It's begun..." Birch throws up his arms. "ATTACK! GO BRAVE RABBITS! SLAY THE INTRUDERS! EVERYONE ELSE NOT READY TO DIE COME ALONG WITH ME!"

Few of course, would attack as they are peaceful creature here.One vole does bite a footpaw of a ferret and is stabbed dead. Plague-eye grins, having this many slaves they could easily rebuilt Marshak...heck make the village a vermin post!

With a curse as he draws out his sling and stones, Lossow points to the village. "Sergeant - go get the others - our hares, any guards, anyone with a weapon - ready for a fight, quickly now!" Heading to the entrance-way where the skirmish has begun, the officer shouts over his shoulder, "Meet me up here when you got the creatures, understood?"

Adrian nods, and draws his rapier. He realizes, even with the residents of Noonvale, they are hopelessly outnumbered. He runs to the guest house that the Elder had let them use, and rouses Yerna and Serena. Monty needs no rousing, and soon, all four hares are running back toward the fighting and Lossow. Raising his voice, he yells toward the woodlanders, "SCATTAH! RUN T' THE WOODS!" It's the best hope they have. Already, several young dibbuns have been carried back to the horde's wagon, which they'd kept carefully hidden, and mothers can be heard screaming, "MY BABY! THEY'VE TAKEN MY BABY!" A few more of the stronger residents attempt to stand their ground, but two are struck down, one dead, and the rest scatter. Any resistance is met with death. Halfsnout narrows his eyes, recognizing those uniforms. He points with his sword. "Take out those rabbits!" he orders, "They're Long Patrol!" Some of the vermin here have never heard of the Long Patrol, however, so they look nonplussed.

Plaque-eye cackles as chaos is around him.Most run away, some brave mouse maid charges them when her mate is captured. Boaz meanwhile stirs and groans as he sits up and gasps, it's too late the horde is at Noonvale. He grabs his longbow and dashes towards them, he fires off an arrow and a fat stoat falls over dead. He barely sidesteps a weasel.

Lossow hears the fox, and an idea occurs to him. Loosing the sling the rock strikes a rat dead.

"Aye! We're the Long Patrol!" He shouts with a forced bravado, "Of the fire mountain and badger lord! You hear that? BLOOD AND VINEGAR! EULLALIAAA!" Drawing his saber he clangs the flat of the blade on a stone, making a loud clang. "EULLALIA!"

The sub-lieutenant is not the only creature to hear Halfsnout, and Atticus makes his way to the fox as Lossow calls out. Kicking a squirrel to the ground and tying them up, he says, rather calmly considering the surroundings, "The patrol you say? Perhaps we should be more cautious - there's always more when one hare can be found.... Or so I've heard tell."

Plague-eye narrows his eyes.He is not going to stop this raid just cause of a few hares, the horde outnumbers the hares easily.

Boaz is doing his best to stay out of sight, fire off a random arrow and once stabs a rat that ends up leaving a small slice on the hare's lower arm.

Adrian looks back at Lossow, as he runs a stoat through with his sword. "We can't possibly bluff 'em all off," he says, such that only the Sub-Lieutenant can overhear. Yerna has also readied her sling, and she shoots off rocks, taking out various vermin, but the situation is pretty dire. With most of the resistance fading, as most of the remaining villagers not already captured flee into the surrounding woods, followed closely by members of Plague-Eye's horde, that mainly leaves the smaller group fighting Adrian and friends in the center of Noonvale. "Our best bet is t' flee an' regroup, like everybeast else..." Halfsnout, meanwhile, nods. Seems the ferret punk isn't stupid, at least. "Yore right, and we'd better watch our backs. Their stupid stripedog has got t' be nearby..."

Boaz is a darn good fighter, he sees the Long Patrol hares now and frowns as some weasel is just about to stab Adrian from behind, Boaz fires off an arrow causing the weasel to choke on blood and fall sideways ..dead. Plaque eye meanwhile kills an otter that decided to attack him, the fool otter. "Get what slaves ya can back ta the base!

"AHAHA!" Lossow laughs loudly, falling back. "TO THE WOODS LADS!" Waving his saber he back pedals.

"Sergeant, that may be true but we don't have many options," he hisses, "Do a skirmish line, falling back - use slings and take out the vermin pursuing the villagers."

Then, in a louder voice - "COME ON! WE CAN'T POSSIBLY HOLD THEM IN THE WOODS! RUN!!!"

Adrian looks down, surprised to see a weasel beside him fall over dead. With an arrow protruding from his chest. "Wot..." He looks around, but can't see Boaz, so he has no idea where the shot came from. Hearing the apparent leader of the attacking force yell out, he turns and nods to Lossow. The small group of hares form a line, Yerna also nodding to Lossow and saying, "I'll do what I can." Notching another rock in her sling, she keeps up a cover of rocks as the hares make a strategic retreat toward the treeline, covering the fleeing woodlanders as they can. "WE'LL JOIN TH' REST O' TH' PATROL IN TH' WOODS!" he yells, bluffing along with Lossow all the way.

With narrowed eyes the 'ferret punk' shakes his head. "No doubt he is. I would rather not tangle with the badger, and I have my doubts you my dear fox want to either. But our glorious leader seem rather ready to met his end, does he not? Of course, that hare there - an officer, going off the sword - he seems not quite there in the head or.... And the other hares, falling back..." Atticus has his own private doubts about the bluff, though he's not really paid to say them. So he stays quiet. "Never you mind it. I suppose we shall see, eh?"

Plaque-eye orders some of the horde to take the captives to the base, he himself backs off a little, he nods for some to attack the hares, his plans will not be ruined! But he will retreat and have the others do so too, if needed.

Boaz meanwhile gets closer to the other hares to help them,he has arrows for the vermin who get close. He speaks when closer "Ya be good fighters...we need a plan to free the captive villagers but it may have ta wait till later."

"IDIOT!" Lossow shouts in an exaggerated way back at the sergeant, "THERE ISN'T ANYONE IN THE WOODS! JUST US! RUUUUN!" Cleanly cutting down a stoat that stood in his way, the officer makes his way to woods with the other hares.

"Don't say that! Now they'll chase us!" The few vermin left fighting do, indeed, give chase, as does Halfsnout, realizing they've been played by a group of only FIVE HARES. The village of Noonvale is soon deserted, as the captured villagers are marched away, either tied up or in chains, and the greater force of Plague-Eye's vermin make haste to escape back to Marshank, a trip of at least a day or longer with so many captives slowing them down.

Boaz barely manages to follow the Long Patrol hares.He fires an arrow at a weasel chaseing them, one dead weasel but other vermin do chase the hares.

"Well, hell. My double bluff failed." Lossow shakes his head then points with his saber - nearly the exact opposite direction from where most of the villagers had run. "THIS WAY LADS! TO THE PATROL AND THE SAFE HOUSES! THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE FOR NOONVALE! FOLLOW ME"

He notices Boaz, and could have sworn there were only four hares under his command. But he's not going to complain about another set of paws to help.

"Perhaps-" Atticus had begun to say, but the vermin were already off chasing the hares. "Well, hopefully there isn't a badger lurking around for them." Shaking his head, he looks around at the village as the rest of the vermin begin looting. "I suppose that means I have to get this rabble under control. Oh joy."

Adrian looks askance. "A triple-bluff?" he asks. Yerna just shakes her head. "Bucks," she says derisively. Adrian also notes Boaz, having no idea where he came from. "C'mon, Private, aftah th' Sub-Leftenant!"

Boaz snorts "I am no... wot ever a Private is, Nmae be Boaz... whoever ya are." Seems he... is not liking being commanded, he brings another ferret down and follows the Long Patrol hares.

"Yes yes, very good private," Lossow replies without really listening to Boaz, "Come along! We're in for the run of our lives now! If you can, turn and loose your stones - but don't stop for long!"

Halfsnout won't fall for a Triple-Bluff, so he doesn't let up the chase. Various other member of the vermin chasing the hares either fall to Yerna and Serena's rocks, or just give up the hunt, finding it too much of a bother to continue. Plague-Eye didn't order them to chase the Long Patrol, after all. Halfsnout has a hatred for the Patrol, however, so this is a personal vendetta.

Boaz sighs and just...what ever he is a Private now he supposes, he can ask what that is ...after they stop running for their lives!

Boaz leaves Adrian's group and wanders off on his own.

Atticus, meanwhile, finds the most comfortable chair he can and ropes a sizable group of vermin into helping him move it back in the village - and then the food, and a table, and soon they'll have a feast set up for themselves.

Monty is trailing behind the others by a little, the smaller hare seemingly planning something since in most cases with his speed, he'd be at the front of the other hares. As they head into the trees, Monty suddenly takes a sharp turn and veers off to the left, separating himself from the others in the group. "Keep on goin', mates! Don't worry 'bout little ol' me!" he calls out to the others, apparently trying to draw some of the pursuing rats away from the main group.

The fox and the other vermin giving chase might not have fallen for the triple bluff - but they fell for the quadruple bluff. The runner of the Long Patrol is doing his best to the the hares - and vermin - away from the remaining denizens of Noonvale. Setting another stone in his sling Lossow checks over his shoulder before sending it to whistle between the legs of the leading fox.

The corporal lagging behind though –

"MONTY! YOU BETTER BLOODY WELL KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!"

Adrian looks at Lossow. "Do WE know wot we're doin', though?" he asks, as they leave Noonvale pretty far behind. They're heading away from the Broadstream, and toward a smallish pond, somewhere deep in the northern woods.

Monty may or may not know one hundred percent exactly what he is doing, but that's never stopped him before. Surveying the area in front of him as he runs, he takes a glance back over his shoulder to make sure he is being pursued by at least some of the vermin giving chase. That at least would give his fellow patrol members a better chance at escaping, themselves, with fewer vermin to have to deal with. "C'mon ya bloody slowpokes!" he calls back at them. "Is almost as if ya never gave chase to anyone before! Ya lily-livered, manure-breathed, stump-tailed idjits!"

"It's called winging it, sergeant!" The officer shoots back. "Or more formally duck and weave and evasive action and all that, wot! Hares are faster than any vermin, less you got fat sitting in Noonvale. Just run, and follow my lead. They'll tire before us, I say- and if not you can punt me into the nearest pond, and that's a promise!" Lossow, despite never having been in the north, knows his woodlands; the time spent training with the 67th in Mossflower not having gone to waste.

Adrian nods, and increases the pace. Most of the rest of the beasts chasing them are starting to tire, and lag off. They've got slaves to help corral, anyway. Halfsnout seems a beast possessed, however, seemingly unwilling to give up his quarry. As they near the pond, Adrian looks to Lossow again. "Well, there's a pond, Sah!"

Monty definitely notices those few beasts who were trailing him beginning to slow, then eventually give up the chase as they return to the village. Seemingly in the clear now, Monty changes his direction and veers back towards the direction that Lossow had mentioned. Also not aware that Halfsnout hadn't given up so easily, the smaller hare ends up crossing into his path as he makes his way towards where the pond is. "Adj, Lossow, am on m'way!" he calls, hoping they were close enough to hear him.

"Half the hares and go left around go with the sergeant, I'll take the other half and go right-" Lossow orders over his shoulder, putting his sling away as he's already breaking to the right, "Prepare to draw swords before we meet up again on the far side, we'll turn and attack the rest of our pursers there - Monty can probably figure something out behind us!"

The vermin returning to the village may be disappointed to find most of the work - and all of the loot - already dealt with. The captured woodlanders are all sitting in a large circle guarded safely by vermin (who were unlucky in the lots that were drawn) while the rest ate and drank with Atticus at their head.

Adrian nods, and breaks off left, with Serena and Boaz, as Yerna follows Lossow to the right, and Adrian waves to Monty coming up on the rear. "We've only got like five or six left, fortunately."

Monty hurries his pace a little as he finally spots Adrian, the hare making his way in that direction. "Five or six? Pah, is child's play! Could handle that many in m'bloody sleep!" He gives his friend a grin, as he gets closer, and his pace slows.

With his sword unsheathed, Lossow matches Yerna's pace, circling around the pond away from the larger group of hares.

And into the clearing stumble the few remaining vermin, a couple stoats, a rat, two weasels, and Halfsnout the fox. "Argh, you don't have th' Long Patrol wi' ya! You rabbits are all out here slone! This'll be like shootin' fish in a barrel with arrows."

Monty smirks, the hare giving an amused laugh at Halfsnout. "Y'know...what's gonna make this even more pathetic, mate, is th'fact that we don't -need- th'rest o'th'Patrol to totally whip yer tails from one end of this clearing to th'other! Then when ya drag yer beaten n'bloody carcasses back t'whatever hole in th'ground ya dug yerselves out of, you can just tell em that there were at least a hundred of us, and ya didn't stand a chance!" He rests his paws on his hips, a grin hovering on his muzzle. "Isn't that wot you lot usually do?"

"Fish in a barrel for who, I wonder..." Lossow mutters under his breath, only now starting to feel winded half way around the pond- they've been running for a long time. "This damn fox - what's his problem?"
He can hear Monty still, and he waves his sword to the other side of the pond. "USE SLINGS! PELT 'EM!"

Adrian nods, and he and Serena let loose, as does Yerna on the other side, slinging rocks at the hapless vermin. Halfsnout raises his paws, to shield himself, but the other vermin aren't nearly as determined, and getting brained with stones is enough to get at least two of them to scatter. "I swore my vengeance on you fools," the fox snarls.

Monty simply laughs, as he adds to the barrage of stones, aiming them right for Halfsnout. "Psssh. Well, y'shouldn't swear, mate, it's not very polite y'know. And from wot I c'n tell, we're not th'fools currently gettin' beaned in the bonces by a handful o'hares!" He lets a few fly at the ones who decided to flee, the hare seemingly enjoying this quite a bit as he deftly bounces back and forth.

"MONTY CAN YOU JUST GET IT OVER WITH?" Lossow had halted, turning round to run back to the by now four(?) vermin left now that the danger of being outnumbered was gone. "We need to link back up with those village beasts right quick, and you shouldn't bloody well toy with your food!"

The officer's saber glints in the sunlight and unless the fox's companions start running it's clear they will die here on the pond's bank.

And die another one does, the sole rat, with a strangled URK. Realizing that he has underestimated these rabbits, Halfsnout bodily throws a remaining stoat at Lossow, a literal meatshield... And then he's off into the trees.

Monty makes a face, muzzle crinkling up. "Food, y'say? Sah, I wouldn't even entertain th'thought of such an awful thing! Could ya even imagine havin' t'chomp on th'dirty, smelly ol' leg of one of those rats? Doesn't even bear thinkin' about! Especially when ya think of all the food we got back at 'ome, y'know..." He grins, watching the vermin turning to flee, at long last. He sends one more stone at the fleeing form of Halfsnout, before giving a nod of satisfaction. "And there's more where that came from if ya show yer ugly mug again!"

The stoat isn't killed - Lossow has enough sense instead to parry the vermin's spear and knock him on the head with the hilt of his sword, stunning the creature.

"Listen," he says, lowering the blade, "I can't imagine myself eating that but the rest of you lot -" He looks around, seeing Boaz for the first time - "Expect for maybe him, maybe, especially considering last winter... Was that private always here?"

After a moment, the officer adds, "And why isn't he in uniform?"

Back at the camp Atticus and the others have finished up, letting the stragglers at the remaining scrapes. If Halfsnout shows his face too soon after giving up the jeers might prove a bit much.

Adrian looks over at Boaz, and peers. "I don't remember him. When did we pick up a sixth 'are?" He watches the vermin flee, then sighs. "Damn, this was a disastah. Do we 'ave any idea where these brutes came from? I wasn't aware o' any vermin camps anywhere neah Noonvale, an' they some'ow descended on th' village with complete secrecy..."

Lossow taps the unconscious stout. "Well, at least we have this particular brute to tell us. So kind of that fox to hand him over, wot." The issue of the sixth hare is ignored for now. "Get rope and a bit of water to rouse him - after that we can dump him in the pond and look for any others that made it out. Sound like a plan?"

Halfsnout has made it back to Noonvale, but he does his best to avoid that Atticus. It won't be long till the whole horde heads back to Marshank with their booty and slaves. Meanwhile, back in the clearing with the pond, Adrian nods his head, and goes to find some rope. "We oughta 'ave some good ways t' get 'im t' talk. Beasts like 'im are cowahds."

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-08-08 04:01:53 PM)

#7 2021-10-08 02:42:48 PM

Ol'random
Website

"For your information, I'm not a squirrel."

Noonvale, 10/2/21
The gallant members of the Long Patrol: Sgt. Adrian, Pvt. Boaz (drafted), SbLt. Lossow
Noonvale: Elder Birch (the mouse chief played by Lossow)

It'd been a couple days since the devastating raid on the village of Noonvale, but after taking stock of the casualties and captures, it became readily apparent that there had been very few woodlanders actually killed, mainly defenders and beasts that fought back. The majority of villagers had been kidnapped, including fully half of all dibbuns in Noonvale. After finishing a final headcount, Adrian approaches Lossow. "Well, sah, there's no doubt about it. They were slavahs. Only 7 villagers were killed... The rest were kidnapped. If I 'ad t' wagah a guess, Sah, I'd reckon they'd need t' get t' a fort or camp somewhere within a three or four days' walk from 'ere. I'd say they went north, wot d' y' think?"

With a toothpick in his mouth the sub-lieutenant glares eastwards into the vast wilderness. "Slavers, you say? Well," he takes out the toothpick, studying it for a moment, "No choice but to get them back, wot. Pity about the seven dead though, at least they weren't any of ours."

Boaz has been here, off and on and now appears again "Hello...so who ya lot again and uniform and all?"

Adrian pauses, as Boaz comes. "Ah, we are th' Long Patrol, wot. We go around...'elpin' beasts, I s'pose. At any rate, wot th' Sub-Leftenant said is right. We gotta go aftah these slavahs an' bring back their captives. I think they went in a northerly direction... Y' know of anyplace off that way that could be used as a vermin base?"

Boaz's question is pointedly ignored with the sub-lieutenant not facing the creature, as Lossow had figured what he said was a purposeful jab at the Patrol. "Sergeant," he flicks the toothpick away, "If it's north, we go bloody north. Can't shame our uniform not rescuing the helpless, eh? But what IS north of here, only mountains, yes?"

Boaz speaks "Snow..ice...forever winter mostly if ya go far enough, not a lot of slavers go that far"

Adrian hums, and pulls out that map he carries. "Well, their tracks 'ead outta here generally north... I doubt they'd go t' th' frozen wastes. Oy, there is anothah sea off t' the east. They mighta come by ship. I reckon our best bet is t' head nor'east, then."

"Well, back home Slavahs almost exclusively used the sea," Lossow shrugs, "And I doubt they'd have much business in the frozen wastes unless..." He shudders. "No, no use thinking THAT, wot. East. The sea seems the best bet- but how far?"

Boaz listens and speaks "So this Long Patrol need any other fighter hares? I know ya called me a private couple times and...well been with you the past few days. may as well join up suppose. So I  will help, I have fighting skills and archer skills."

Adrian looks Boaz up and down thoughtfully. "We could use th' 'elp. We'll need all we c'n get, since these vermin mean business." He looks over the map again, then points to a mark. "Marshank. Could be a place they used as a stagin' point. I'd say head that-away."

"Right then," Lossow turns to Boaz for the first time, "Fall in line private!" The officer turns back to look east. "Marshank, eh? Isn't that a ruin or something by now, wot. But probably a good place to start. Of course..." He looks down at the ground, then back to Adrian, "Do we even know where in the blazes Marshank is?"

Boaz nods, he even salutes, sort of he clearly has to practice but it's close enough for now,he is new after all. "The sooner we free the slaves the better and make sure the vermin don't get a chance to try again"

Adrian shakes his head. "We only 'ave this map t' go by, and it's admittedly pretty old. It's our only lead, I'm afraid. As far as th' map shows, there's nothin' else out that way."

Lossow nods his head. "Of course private! We can't just free the villagehs and leave the vermin to go on their merry way, wot! We gotta hit them hard, enough where the slavahs don't get back up. There's no helping the map, so we'll have to see with our own eyes I'd say. If we head east, following the stream to the sea, we can go north up the coast to see if it still stands - and if the slavahs now live there."

Boaz says, "Can't say I know too much of the land by the sea,mainly lived in a small groove by Noonvle, visited a fair amont  over the seasons, least till an old friend died.""

Adrian nods. "I've nevah seen th' Eastern Sea mahself," he interjects, "But I s'pose tha's about t' change. I'll let Mont, Serena and Yerna know we'll be 'eadin' out. T' th' east."

"East. Of course, beyond the private here- sorry for your loss, by the by - we should ask one of the locals exactly how long it takes to get to the sea, and Marshank, then take at least double provisions for that. Hopefully they might know something, wot."

Lossow looks back at the village. "Actually, suppose I'll go do that."

Boaz nods as he listens, if he is gonna join this Long Patrol he needs to learn the different orders and what is needed so he can be a good patrol hare,and learn how to fit into a group sine he sin't fully use to one yet.

Adrian nods. "I believe the village elder is in 'is 'ouse... In fact, 'e asked t' see us all again before we left. 'e's puttin' a lot of faith in us..."

"An old squirrel, right?" Lossow glances at the sergeant, double checking. "Well, hopefully we live up to that. Anyway, I'll go find him now."

Boaz looks around as he speaks "Unsure how de vermin even found the place, Noonvale been hidden from most unless ya know where ta look."

Adrian nods his head. "Yes. I'll join y' aftah I get th' othahs." He looks at Boaz. "It may've been an unlucky accident. It's probable they weren't lookin' for Noonvale at all..."

"Well, we managed to find it..." Lossow mutters, "And ancient or not, they still found it. And we can't do anything about that now, wot. Sergeant, private," The junior officer nods to them both in farewell before wandering off to go find the old village chief.

Boaz shrugs "Suppose a secret can't last forever after all, no matter how much one wants it to"

Adrian nods. "Well, why don't y' come wi' me while I go get the othahs?" And after he asks that, he heads toward the guesthouse they'd been staying in.

Boaz follows the sergeant to see how it goes with the old squirrel.

Of course, Lossow does find the chief's house - eventually - though the squirrel isn't there. "Blasted, what was the name?" Muttering to himself the junior officer can be seen wandering around the village, looking for the old squirrel.

Adrian eventually returns to the Sub-Lieutenant with Monty, Serena, and Yerna in tow. "'Ave y' spoke t' th' Leadah yet?" he asks. "I know he acts senile, but he seems t' be pretty sharp, actually."

Boaz looks around"He has ta be somewhere, right?"

"No I have not, sergeant." Lossow spent the better part of a half hour looking. "Can't recall the name so I can't just call out for him, wot. And none of the villagers seem all that eager to help find-"

"For your information, I'm not a squirrel." The chieftain of Noonvale, a mouse, waves his tail from were he stood behind the officer. "Does this LOOK like the bushy mess they got, Mr. Lossow?"

Boaz blinks, how does the old beast do that appear out of no where

Adrian jumps, as the mouse seems to appear out of nowhere. "Oh, Sah, we were lookin' for...you..."

"So I heard." The mouse looks the hares over, as if contemplating disappearing again. "What for?"

"Sergeant Adrian," Lossow says, stepping back, "Why don't you brief the chieftain on the plan, wot?"

Boaz chuckles a little, he has seen the chieftain a couple times and the old beast always seemed moody or just odd, maybe it was old age who knows.

Adrian blinks. He could swear the mouse had asked to see them before they left. "Uh, Sah," he begins, looking at Lossow, "We're gonna go rescue yahr kidnapped villagers, wot. We're goin' east, towahd th' sea, and lookin' f'r them there. We 'ave good reason t' believe they may be 'eaded tha' way..."

"And we also need to know how long it takes to get to the east-sea from here," Lossow interjects. "And if we can please have the provisions to make it there and back."

The mouse doesn't immediately answer, mulling over the information and questions. "Very well," he says, "Very well. We'll give you what we can, but frankly - no one here really knows, unfortunately. But thank you, sergeant Adrian," the mouse bows his head. "We'll try and help as best we can."

Boaz for now lets the others talk, he has barely really joined the patrol, but he is still helping and listening

Adrian looks directly into the elder mouse's eyes. "This is our solemn vow, Sah... We'll get yahr loved ones back. And we'll do it as fast as we can. They won't 'arm a hair on those dibbun's heads, I promise ya."

The mouse bows again, deeper. "I'll take your word for it then. Though I personally didn't actually lose anyone particularly loved by me, so don't you worry overmuch about that."

Lossow glances at Adrian and Boaz, blinking in surprise, but otherwise doesn't speak.

Boaz tilts his head,slightly confused and is not sure how to react to this bit of news,he hmms softly and is silent for the moment.

Adrian nods. "Well, still." He glances back at Lossow. "It's gettin' a bit late today, so I reckon we oughta get ready tonight, an' then 'ead out first thing tomorrah, wot d' y' think, Sah?"

Boaz watches the old mouse and is still quiet,but once the hares are out of sight and out of hearing range he will clearly speak his mind on how he is unsure of the old chief, what sort of chief...isn't loved by his followers?

Oh, the chief is adored by his followers, and the ones still in the village he's somewhat fond of. But he liked less than half of those captured, and was apathetic to the rest.

But the hares needn't know THAT.

Adrian and the others head back toward the guest house, so they can prepare themselves for the early morning. "Well, lads, we'll be 'eadin' out again..."

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-10-08 02:43:09 PM)

Board footer