Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-21 08:46:59 PM

Ol'random
Website

A Proposed Overhaul for the Ranks of the Long Patrol

So today I was chatting with Zolomon and Varus, and the topic of ranks came up - I've been working on this since (some of it I already posted in the mis IC LP stuff thread but here's a full version that can replace the page on the wiki). I'm posting this here first without editing the wiki page so people can discuss/ask questions.
Anyway, without further ado I propose the following changes to this page (https://www.rwmuck.org/wiki/Rank_Structure)

The Badger Lord
This is the highest IC position in the Long Patrol. As you may have guessed, this character is always a badger. If there is no Badger Lord (or Lady), then the most senior commissioned officer is ICly in charge.

2 .Commissioned Officers (COs):

2.1 General (Gen)
This is the highest ranking commissioned officer, answerable only to the Badger Lord. There is rarely more than one General, who serves as an advisor to the Badger Lord and overseer of the entire Long Patrol. They are advised by the Brigadier, who carry the General's orders down the line. Their rank is denoted by a stylized badger's head, picked out in fine gold thread on their collar.

2.2 Brigadier (Brg)
They act as advisers to the Brigadier and Badger Lord and oversee important 'at home' matters of the Mountain. On the day to day, Brigadiers are typically in charge of important areas of the Mountain, such as the Forge or Library. There is always at least one Brigadier that will stay behind when troops are brought out of the Mountain. Their rank is denoted by a stylized badger's head, picked out in fine silver thread on their collar.

2.3 Colonel (Col)
They are long-term veterans and experts within their specialty, and use their extensive experience to provide leadership and make important decisions. Formally commanding a regiment generally consisting of two battalions, they will often accompany their troops on missions outside of Salamandastron. Their rank is denoted by a triple starburst, picked out in fine gold thread collar.

2.4 Major (Mjr)
These officers rank just below the Colonel, who they receive and follow orders from directly. They have distinguished themselves through their service, combat experience, and leadership qualities. Each one commands their own battalion in training, combat situations, and missions outside of the mountain. Their rank is denoted by a double starburst, picked out in fine gold thread on their collar.
OOC: Majors are encouraged to run their own TPs, plots, and missions with the IC understanding that the orders 'came from above'. They are also in charge of all promotions within their battalion; this takes into account IC actions, need, and how long a character has been in the Patrol.

2.5 Captain (Cpt)
Captains rank directly below Majors, commanding a company generally consisting of two Lieutenants. These officers work closely with the Majors. Every Major has at least two Captains, who assist their Major with administrative tasks ICly and with leading individual companies within the battalion.  Their rank is denoted by a single starburst, picked out in fine gold thread on their collar.
OOC: Captains are encouraged to run their own TPs, plots, and missions with the IC understanding that the orders 'came from above'.

2.6 Lieutenant (Lt)
These officers work closely with the Majors and Captains, commanding a patrol consisting of one Sergeant and one to three Corporals. Every company has two Lieutenants, or a Lieutenant and Sub-lieutenant. Lieutenants assist their captain and major with administrative tasks ICly . Their rank is denoted by a single starburst, picked out in fine silver thread on their collar.

2.7 Sub-Lieutenant (SbLt)
This rank is similar Ensign (COs in training) but for NCOs who have already served in the Long Patrol for some time and have experience in leadership and battle or by Ensigns who require more experience in command. Acting generally as a “second’ Lieutenant in a company, it is an active fighting role and serves as the assistant to the Mjr, Cpt, and Lt. The next rank up is Lieutenant. Their rank is denoted by a single starburst, picked out in fine bronze thread on their collar.

2.8 Ensign (Ens)
This is the lowest Commissioned Officer rank and is not an active fighting role, this rank is roughly equivalent to role of the recruit; Ensigns are generally held by teens learning to be an officer acting as a pseudo-servant for COs (usually major and below) while being taught by those same COs and the Master Sergeant. While technically outranking all NCOs they are required to obey any given order from sergeants and above. Usually only leverets with particularly good grades in the mountain school or can become ensigns instead of recruit, though recruits who show particular talent in leadership, strategy, and discipline in both the field and exams are given the option to become an ensign. Training usually takes from about 4-8 seasons (1-2 years), though exceptions can be made depending on the circumstances. The next rank up is Lieutenant or Sub-Lieutenant, depending on how well the Ensign is trained. Their rank is denoted by the absence of rank insignia and instead only wear the officer’s basic uniform.
OOC: At this rank, a player is able to @link to the Officer's Quarters and gain access to the Leader's Lounge areas. 

3 Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs):

3.1 Master Sergeant (MSg)
There is generally only one Master Sergeant in a battalion, being the most senior NCO of the unit. They act as an adviser and assistant for COs (particularly the Major), help the battalion's quartermaster, and are in charge of relaying orders and letting each sergeant in the unit what the orders from the Lt, Capt, or Mjr are. The next rank up is either Sub-Lieutenant or full Lieutenant, but usually a master sergeant stays a master sergeant unless there is a need for COs. Their rank is denoted by four chevrons, thickly embroidered with fine silver thread on their left sleeve.

3.2 Colour Sergeant (CSgt)
In addition to acting as standard sergeants, this rank is for long-time serving sergeants who act as both protectors of ensigns (the most junior of the COs). They also serve as advisers and instructors to newly made Lieutenants, generally being their second-in-command. When there is no Master Sergeant present, they are the most senior NCO. The next rank is Master Sergeant or Sub-Lieutenant, and in special cases either Sub-Lieutenant or full Lieutenant. Their rank is denoted by a trio of chevrons beneath a stylized badger's head, thickly embroidered with fine silver thread on their left sleeve.

3.3 Sergeant (Sgt)
There are generally two Sergeants in each company, who serve under the Captain and Lieutenant. They communicate and enforce the orders of the Captain, conduct patrol-specific training sessions, and oversee and assign minor duties. Beginning with the rank of Sergeant, it is expected to be saluted by beasts of a lower ranking. The next rank can either be Colour Sergeant or Master Sergeant, and in special cases either Sub-Lieutenant or full Lieutenant. Their rank is denoted by a trio of chevrons, thickly embroidered with fine silver thread on their left sleeve.    

3.4 Corporal (Cpl)

Each patrol has one to three Corporals, who are ranked lowest within each patrol. They assist the Sergeant with various tasks and mostly have an administrative function. Their rank is denoted by a pair of chevrons, thickly embroidered with fine silver thread on their left sleeve.

4 Non-Officers/Enlisted:

4.1 Lance-Corporal (LCpl)
This rank is often filled by Privates which have shown promise, joined the Patrol at an older age, or with notable skill. They rank only slightly higher than Privates and are not authorized to give orders, however they are often tasked with administrative duties and assisting Corporals. They are expected to follow the orders of any officer, even outside of their own patrol, and perform other general duties when stationed at the Mountain. Hares given the rank of Lance-Corporal are popularly considered to be on the short-list for Corporal. Their rank is denoted by single chevron, thickly embroidered with fine silver thread on their left sleeve.

4.2 Private (Pvt)
This is the lowest rank among enlisted, active-duty Patrollers, which make up the bulk of the Long Patrol's population. Privates have chosen a combat specialty, which is their primary focus both in training and within combat situations. They are divided into patrols, serving under a Major, Lieutenant, and their enlisted officers and going on assigned missions or monitoring the nearby territory of the western shore. They are expected to follow the orders of any officer, even outside of their own patrol, and perform other general duties when stationed at the Mountain. Their rank is denoted by the absence of rank insignia and instead only wear their regiment’s uniform.

4.3 Recruit (Rct)
These are the 'teens' of the Mountain or are newly joined members of the Long Patrol and follow the orders of everyone else. Recruits are not yet assigned to active patrols and generally do not go on patrol missions. They focus on basic training in a wide variety of weapons and fighting styles (primarily the spear, sling, and dagger), and receive a well-rounded academic education with both classroom lectures and hands-on lessons. Upon satisfactory completion of a series of recruit exams, they graduate and are awarded the rank of private. Upon exemplary completion of the exams, they are offered a chance for further training as an Ensign.  Their rank is denoted by the absence of both rank insignia and regiment uniform.

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-10-28 03:09:49 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2020-10-21 09:07:59 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: A Proposed Overhaul for the Ranks of the Long Patrol

could you do a short summary of what each rank does?  i think that would help me understand it a little better smile

#3 2020-10-21 09:52:04 PM

Ol'random
Website

ALRIGHT LETS DO THIS
rank speed run time leets goo
(im so sorry)
1.1 Badger Lord. self explanatory. Big badger who likes to forge and sometimes goes craycray in battle
COs
2.1 General. Formally in charge of everything and the ENTIRE PATROL, but really just go around being librarians and stuff like quinton
2.2 brigadier. honestly kinda the same role as general but like uh more uh. MOVIGN ON (honestly they're only here because they're in the Redwall books and they have a cool title and i can't ever figure out what brigadiers do IRL, at least historically like i thought they were in charge of a brigade made up of smaller units but NOPE turns out a brigade is basically the same size as a battalion but there's not much difference between the two and the real kicker is that the actual commander of a brigade isn't a brigadier but a brigadier-general)
2.3 Colonel. The big cat. the one who orders around majors and their battalions and tells the patrol to attack n' stuff
2.4 Major. In charge of a battalion - they order around the 2 captains,  4 lieutenants, 4 sergeants, etc..... in their battalion
2.5 Captain. In charge of a company - they order around the 2 lieutenants, 2 sergeants, 6 corporals etc in their company
2.6 Lieutenant. In charge of a patrol - they order around 1 sergeant, 3 corporals, and lord-knows how many privates
2.7 Sub-Lieutenant. Basically the same as a lieutenant but worse and command the second patrol in a company
2.8 Ensign. A jumped up recruit who gets all the fancy leadership training of an officer and none of the respect
NCO
3.1 Master-Sergeant. Buddies with the major, oversees all the other sergeants and gets to weigh in with their opinion with the other battalion bigwigs. 1 per battalion. Oh, and they're the only none-historically-British army rank here so theres that i guess
3.2 Colour-Sergeant. Nice title for an experienced sergeant and honestly nothing much beyond that. They also are supposed to babysit make sure the ensign doesn't accidentally stab themselves with buttleknifes and stuff. OH also they make sure people get food and sleep and stuff liek that
3.3 Sergeant. Ya regular old sergeant. You know them, I know them, they're a dime a dozen, and they are in charge of yelling at 3 corporals and who knows how many privates (30? 36? idk)
3.4 Corporals. They get all the stress of command and none of the respect! big_smile Don't even get saluted to smh. They are in charge of units groups of 10-12 privates
NON-OFFICERS
4.1 Lance-Corporal. Basically privates that super skill/talented/respected. pretty cool dudes usually and totally not after the corporal's job
4.2 Private. The rank and file bread and butter. they are many and have no command. they do what the corporal and up tells them to do, no complaining
4.3 Recruit. Privates in training, might be able to make ensign if they kiss up to or bribe the right hares. Don't see combat because they'd be useless.
BONUS
5.1 leverets. they run the long patrol and nothing you say can convince me otherwise

I can make a more serious summery but *hopefully* this helps because it's mostly accurate.

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-10-21 10:01:42 PM)

#4 2020-10-21 10:39:00 PM

oz

So
Where do Zolomon..Felicity....and Terrence fit in with Sargeant? Also soon Adrian, though he is away on mission

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#5 2020-10-21 10:45:11 PM

Ol'random
Website

Oh, they're all still sergeants and have the exact same role as they have had

#6 2020-10-23 09:00:57 AM

oz

I think Domink would make a good corporal.

Also, I and another player were chatting...we may be getting another LT. soon that will be at the MT., They will be a hare that had asked for retirement shortly after the Ormaz TP and is talked into returning.Should be good role Play.

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol

#7 2020-10-23 06:51:10 PM

Log-A-Log

yeah
A group part on the forums, like on the old each group had own section. Also not a lot know of the LP wiki, and updates can be made on group forum posts too. Also I know Oz and Quinten are ones to ask on joining now since Jinora...maybe get rid of ghost patrol and have some MIA?..I dont know. Some things can be somehow linked or just copied over...maybe keep the NPC Bridger..don't know. we do need active  Colonel. A Major....hmmms, not sure on who could be one, maybe a NPC ....privates and re fruits can be NPCs mainly.

I play:  Xavier ( Log-A-log of GUOSIM) Elbio (Lt.,Archer, and Fighter in Long Patrol and RW Residential Hare)

#8 2020-10-23 07:55:14 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

terrence:  OH MY HEAVENS, that summary was hysterical!  it also was very helpful, allowing me to understand what each rank does while simultaneously making me laugh really hard.  well done and thanks very much! big_smile  (leverets do run the lp, especially when the dab gets going.  it is very true.)

i also agree with oz: so our sergeants are all just sergeants, nothing special yet?

log-a-log: i also can put people on the list on the forums.  so greg, zolomon, and i can add people, which is good since we're not always all on at the same time smile

#9 2020-10-24 08:59:41 PM

oz

Greg is now Captain!

I play:

#10 2020-10-24 09:30:26 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

#11 2020-10-24 09:46:08 PM

oz

A Log is posted and a visitor appears late in the evening.

I play:

#12 2020-10-28 09:25:38 AM

oz

I am gonna be busy the next few days and I know we have some promotions that has happen to update on the wiki pages. I will try and do this in next couple days but between  November 1st-6th I am VERY BUSY OOCLY.

I play:

#13 2020-10-28 02:28:06 PM

Ol'random
Website

Alright! I'm planning on updating the rank wiki page today seeing how everyone is cool with the new system.
However, I also have four things that I'd like to get people's opinion on before adding to the main post above:

Special Roles
While the following are not official ranks, they are still appointed positions within the Long Patrol with added responsibility that comes with each:

Adjutant

This position serves mainly as a staff officer: acting as an assistant in administration, adviser, and overseer of logistics to an officer of the rank major and above, and are almost always COs of the rank captain and above. While they do hold command, the officer they serve generally leads the unit in the field.

Drill Sergeant

This position serves as the overseer of training and discipline of all Lance-Corporals, Privates, and Recruits in a given battalion and is appointed as needed; any senior NCO (Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, and Master Sergeant) can act as a drill sergeant and there can be more than one at a time.

Quartermaster

This position is responsible of all troop supplies in a given battalion and are almost always held by commissioned officers raised from the ranks. The master sergeant acts as their primary assistant.

Resident Redwall Hare

This position serves as the Long Patrol liaison, military adviser, and diplomat to Redwall Abbey and the Mossflower area. They are almost always at least the rank of Lieutenant though hold no official command yet are expected to send reports back to Salamandastron in case of any danger in the area.

(I also edited the main post yesterday to clarify were rank insignia goes +general typo cleanup)

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-10-28 02:29:47 PM)

#14 2020-10-28 03:50:23 PM

oz

Koda is a Adjutant

Elbio is Redwall Residential Hare

I don't think we have a Drill Sargeant...the only one I remember is Tarsa and she died ICLY sad

Never had a Quartermaster

Yeah these do need added...somewhere and Terrence can fix up the rank pages ect.

I play:

#15 2020-10-29 12:43:17 AM

BlisaMarshmellow

i agree with oz about how those things need to be added, as well as letting terrence loose to fix the rank page on the wiki smile

the way i ran Felicity seems to qualify her as a drill sergeant, since she was training a whole bunch of recruits, as well as the hares under her direct command (and any she could rope into extra drills, even if they weren't under her command).  i could be wrong, but i thought i would mention it.  i plan to get her back into that position once she's not a fruitcake anymore (or at least not as badly). 

(and yes, i know it's a stupid hour of the day to be up.  mental illnesses are the worst sad )

#16 2020-10-29 08:27:52 AM

Log-A-Log

Is Locke even still around, Who's NPC was he/she?

I also notice the divisions page needs fixed up too.

Also Paisley...who is that just a shared NPC asking as they got pwiped so are they still around?

Just curious was all.

looks like roles and jobs may need slight update and that's all.

I play:  Xavier ( Log-A-log of GUOSIM) Elbio (Lt.,Archer, and Fighter in Long Patrol and RW Residential Hare)

#17 2020-10-29 01:30:16 PM

Ol'random
Website

Oz: good to know! and thanks for letting me go loose - I edited the Rank page yesterday and am adding what Koda and Elbio sent me via page mails to the "Hares of the Mountain" Wiki page today (not done yet but I'm planning to)

Blisa: Yeah, and ever since July (and felicity going fruitcake (your words)) Terrence has also been acting as a drill sergeant (ive also been kinda implying in RP that he's taken command of Felicity's hares' training until she's better, if that's alright?). I should probably edit the drill sergeant to include something about how it's not a permanent role and instead is given to whoever's in charge of training/drilling recruits and privates at any given time (which obviously changes)

Log-A-Log: I actually was trying to look up Locke and couldn't find anything about them (in part due to the amount of Dylan Locke's (unrelated) material on there). I found one instance of them on these forums in this log. They seem to be a spoof and I think we should keep them as the colonel (.....and maybe use them? I kinda like the personality they have)
Paisley is also in the log, and I think she was a spoof too - again, I think we should keep her or at least start mentioning her (and locke) more

As for the divisions page I actually have been working on a overhaul of it to explain the new system that I've hinted at in the main topic of this thread (the Regiment, Battalion, Company, etc system), as well redoing the uniforms (which is mostly complete)and the roles and jobs! I'm holding off on posting what I have on the forums and editing the wiki until I'm roughly finished + waiting until we have a subforum so I don't flood RP chat with multiple topics containing walls and walls of text

EDIT: I've also have made a lot of pictures of the different uniforms via MS paint (which has been a struggle to figure out tbh) which I'll post with the uniforms thread

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-10-29 01:35:03 PM)

#18 2020-11-01 09:57:15 AM

Elmef

Did we do this like 6 months ago?

2.1 General. Formally in charge of everything and the ENTIRE PATROL, but really just go around being librarians and stuff like Quinten -

This is pretty accurate, Quinten's day job is to stay in the mountain and make sure everyone has what they need to do their jobs, paperwork, supplies, training courses and such.

#19 2020-11-01 12:22:41 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

terrence: yes, that's fine that he's in charge of her hares rn.  it makes a lot of ic sense.  (omc, has it really been since july??? O.o my poor chars...)

elmef: he's been working on these ideas this whole time and getting our feedback, and only now does it look like they're being finalized smile

#20 2020-11-01 03:05:22 PM

Ol'random
Website

oh yeah it was in June when I posted a first draft of sorts (probably not the right term but eh) of this... I just never really buckled down and actually rewrote it all until recently and i swear finally finishing this totally wasn't inspired by me binge watching/reading the sharpe series between then and now

#21 2020-11-02 03:54:17 AM

Elmef

Ah ha, I knew I'd seen something! Was so confused

But yeah I like how it all looks to me. Am quite happy having Quinten wandering around the mountain making sure you can all do your jobs.
If Quinten ends up in a fight with vermin something has gone badly wrong. His job is to make sure you can all do your jobs and occasionally look over his glasses and terrify people.

Board footer