Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-07 03:24:31 AM

Montamillion

"As long as he is here, Dom vil remember..." Long Patrol log, 6-6-20

Characters: Dominik (male Long Patrol Private), Felicity (female Long Patrol Sergeant)

Setup: Dominik has gone missing. He hadn't been seen all day around the Mountain, missing his assigned duties and even all his meals, and eventually Felicity decides to investigate. Her search is soon successful, it seems...and an old 'friend' makes his return....

----------------------------

It seems as if Dominik has disappeared. The large hare hadn't been present in the mess hall for either breakfast, lunch, dinner or any in between snacks...he hadn't been there for any of his training sessions, and most unusual of all, he hadn't shown up to watch the Dibbuns in the classroom area as he tended to do. Most every place he possibly could've been had been searched, but there -was- one place most didn't look, and it was in that place where Dominik is currently sitting. He'd chosen the alcove he'd kept himself in during those times he'd been dealing with the whole Erg thing, amd the hare is seated there with his back to the wall, eyes closed as he simply listens to the sound of his heart beating and the soft rumble of the blood rushing through his veins. He enjoyed the quiet, it gives him a chance to relax and it keeps his mind clear and sharp. The clearer his mind is, the less chance Erg has of returning. Oddly enough, the skeleton of a toad sits across from him, seemingly reconstructed from shattered pieces of bone.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Back in the catacombs AGAIN, with Blorg or whatever the toad's name is? Felicity has infinite patience for her friend's insanity, she just wishes he would warn her before he disappears like this. The maiden comes down with a tray of food in her paws, having a good idea of where he may be. "Dom? Dom, love, y'down 'ere? I brought y'some food -- don't want y't'get sick from not eatin'." She makes her way towards his alcove, making sure he hears her coming. Just in case Erg is back.

Erg doesn't seem to have returned, as when Felicity approaches, the large buck simply peeks open an eye and peers at her for a moment. It closes once again, and he smiles a little. "Hello, Felicity...." He keeps his voice lower than usual due to the location they are in, though it is still just a tad louder than most. "Most probably vould not have looked down here. How long has Dom been gone?" He really had no way of telling time down here, so he genuinely seemed to be curious. "Is dark during day, dark during night. Losing track of time, yes." He opens both eyes and peers at the doe. "Is thanking for food..." He notices she also noticed Blorg, and he grins. "Do not mind Blorg. Is havink good conversations."

Felicity glances at the skeleton. Prrreeeeeetyy sure he can't /actually/ talk, bro. "Y've been down 'ere all day, love," she informs him as she hands him the food. "Y'missed everythin' from breakfast t'dinnah, includin' y'trainin' sessions. Julia asked me where y'were when I picked 'er up. I got 'er settled down t'bed, then I got some food an' came t'find you." There's soup, rolls, cheese, salad, pie, and pasties on the tray, as well as some ale. "Glad y'doin'...okay, y'know?" She means she's glad he's not gone crazy again. She would prefer to avoid that.

Dominik lifts a large paw and lightly rubs at the back of his head, looking uneasy for a moment. "...is true? Heh. Er, Dom apologizes, did not realize vas down here so long. Came down last night, saw bones lying around. Decided to put back together. Blorg vas very thankful. Must have taken longer than thought." The buck shrugs a little, before his eyes fall on the food Felicity brought. "Oooh. Is good. Thank you, Dom is most definitely a leetle hungry." With that, the buck completely annihilates the tray of food, doing his best to try not to be -too- messy, but alas, he'd been hungry having not eaten for an entire day...and so the occasional bit of bread or cheese goes flying about. Upon finishing, he picks up the cloth napkin and dabs at his mouth. "Ah. Is very good." With a sheepish grin, Dom gives Felicity a nod. "Yes. Is doing okay, no worries. Blorg is...reminder of things, but also reminder that Dom is feeling better."

Felicity nods. "Aye....I was concerned. Why'd y'come down 'ere in th'fihst place, though?" She then realizes that asking him questions right now is probably not the best idea, and so just lets him eat, sitting there quietly, eyes half closed as she thinks. He's not being as disgusting as he was when he was Erg, and there's no way his table manners right now could compete with the leverets, so she honestly isn't really too concerned with it. She also makes peace with the fact that maybe thinking Blorg is talking to him will help him stay sane. Maybe a tiny bit of crazy is okay. She nods once he's done speaking. "Well, may'ap tha's a good thing, t'be reminded that y'bettah. I'm sure some days are pretty stressful an' y'just need some time t'remembah stuff like tha'."

Dominik gives a simple shrug to Felicity's question, the buck reaching down and sipping from the ale. "Hmm. Is place to think. Is quiet place. Place avay from others, place vith no duties, and no other things to vorry about or concentrate on. Is just Dom, Blorg, and silence. Sometimes, is good thing, yes?" He smiles a little, whiskers twitching as his gaze shifts down to the ale, which he swirls around slowly. "Is appreciating concern, but...Dom vil be okay. No need for vorry." He nods his head slowly. "Aye. Is complicated thing, but...seeing remains of vat Dom did in swamps is keeping self grounded, to make sure thing never happens again." His gaze shifts to the toad skeleton, which had likely seen much better days. "Blorg is result of Dom losing sanity, and losing self. As long as he is here, Dom vil remember."

Felicity scowls a little. "Y'm'friend. I always worry 'bout m'friends." She, too, looks at the skeleton, her face softening. "Well, then.....if y'need 'im 'ere t'elp keep y'self sane, who am I to disagree? Y'know whot y'need more'n I do, wot!" She peers out into the catacombs. "I do agree that th'silence is nice. I sometimes need a break t'come down 'ere, too. I like t'sit by m'family's graves. I sometimes talk t'them. Guess 'tisn't as different as whot y'need t'do sometimes as maybe I thought." She has an idea of what it feels like to fall down into the craziness, but she won't even pretend to even begin to understand what it was really like for him. This mindset of hers kind of shows in how hesitant she is to even say what she was saying.

Dominik's eyes remain on Blorg as he listens to Felicity, the hare's expression unreadable, his ear giving the occasional twitch. Nodding his head slowly, he hmmms. "Vorry about friends is good quality to have, but...do not let it take avay from other things, more important things. Like leetle Julia. She is very important to Felicity, yes?" His gaze shifts over towards Felicity and a smile curls on his muzzle. "And yes, silence is also good thing. Can help ven hearing other voices in here." He lifts a paw and lightly taps on his temple. "Can sort out vich vun is good, and vich vun is not so good." The buck chuckles softly, giving Felicity a knowing nod. "Ven is talking to family, family is listening, can promise that. May not be able to respond like you and Dom talking, but...they find own vays, in other vays." Dom's eyes shift back to Blorg. "Sometimes, Dom can hear family. Ven is quiet, is easier to hear." 

Felicity listens. "Makes sense. Easiah t'distinguish anything in th'silence." She smiles. "Julia is everythin' t'me. ...I nevah 'ear m'parents. I wish I did. I wish I knew if.....if they were proud o' 'ow I'm raisin' Julia." Tears are welling up in her eyes. She has felt more and more stressed lately, and this conversation is sweet, but its depth is also making her more emotional.

Dominik's eyes fall back on Felicity, the buck watching her quietly as she speaks. When she finishes, he reaches over and rests a large paw on the doe's shoulder. In most cases it'd be a fearsome thing, but in this case, it is more reassuring and comforting than anything else. He gives her a knowing nod. "Can trust Dom, Felicity's parents have vays of showing they are proud. May not be able to physically hear, but...they are saying that they are -very- proud of Felicity, and the job zat has been done vith raising leetle Julia and making sure she is safe and taken care of." He gives a simple smile. "Sometimes things are there, and vun does not realize it. Sometimes vun looks too hard, and misses signs, ven they are right in front of nose." The buck gives his nose a little wiggle, his ears following suit. "Julia is in good paws, vil simply say this."

Felicity has faced countless things that are actually terrifying. Plus, she knows her friend very well, and can read his body language and facial expressions better than most can. So she just accepts his gesture of kindness for what it is. She wipes a tear away with the heel of her hand and smiles. "Th...thanks, Dom. That means an awful lot t'me. I...I'll try t'trust y'right."

Dominik watches as Felicity wipes away that tear, and the buck gives her a playfully admonishing look. "Vat did Dom say about crying, hmmm?" he teases, before his expression shifts back to a grin as he very gently pats her on the shoulder, his paw rising to press to her cheek before drawing away and settling back at his side. He gives a heavy sigh. "You are velcome. No try, just do." He smiles. "Try not to think too much about, vil be easier to see things this vay. So, is leetle Julia okay? Dom did not mean to scare ven disappearing. Am honestly surprised she didn't come down looking, herself..." he chuckles. "Vas half expecting to see her face pop around the corner at some point..."

Felicity shakes her head. "If you only knew 'ow stressed I feel...." Her smile widens when he asks about her sister. "Oh, she's good. I've gotten 'er t'rpomise t'not get int' mischief, so tha's prob'ly why she didn't come find ya. I think she 'ad been plannin' somethin', though....jus' the way she 'id some ribbons when I came t'get 'ere. May'ap 'twas good y'took th'day off. Y'mighta ended up lookin' like a maiden wi' ribbons 'round y'eahs, wot!" This is actually something one could expect from Julia, honestly....she wants everything and everyone to be PRETTY!

Dominik's expression is an amused one as Julia's possible shenanigans are revealed, and the buck gives a chuckle. "How often ven Dibbuns promise t'not get into things, do they get into things? Vould not be Dibbuns if did not do this, yes?" The large hare grins. "Am sure she vould have snuck avay at one point or another." A paw lifts and he rubs at an ear, looking somewhat sheepish. "Vell..." he gives a resigned sigh..."...vould not be first time this happened, and is more than likely not last time, either. Is thinking Dom has seen more ribbons already ven vatching Dibbuns than vun should ever have to see in an entire lifetime..." And yes, that wouldn't have been the first time the buck would have been covered in ribbons!

Felicity laughs a little, too. "Aye, now tha's th'truth!" She wholeheartedly agrees. "I just 'ope this time lasts longah than some o' th'previous times." She gives him a sly grin. "Whot, y'don't like bein' pretty?" She can't hold it before she laughs again. "'Onestly, I don't like bein' fancy. Makes me feel uncomfortable. More used t'wearing pants than skirts, y'know? Can't imagine whot 'tis like f'r you t'get bedecked by ribbons, tied on by little girls all th'time, wot!" But the Sergeant can dress up really nice, so she's not incapable of being fancy. She just feels uncomfortable, partly because she always compares herself to her mother when she does and feels she falls short. Not that she's ever confided that to anyone...

Dominik chuckles. "Ve vil see. Is thinking it depends on Dibbuns' mood. Vil do best to make sure they behave, though." He smiles, then lifts a paw and gives a nonchalant wave. "You know vat? In all honesties, Dom does not mind, because it makes leetle vuns happy. Ven leetle vuns are happy, Dom is happy, and so...Dom lets them tie ribbons, use paint, glue things to fur...vatever they vant. It keeps them occupied and out of others' fur, so...is okay." He shrugs. "Feel it is part of duty to keep leetle vuns safe, and so...it simply is part of territories." The buck smiles. "But, vhile Dom is being honest, vil say that Felicity is pretty even if vearing pants and not skirts. Does not need to be fancy to be pretty," he replies, simply, with a shrug.

Felicity smiles. "An' they love y'foh it. I think y'their favourite caretakah of all." But then he just had to compliment her! She blushes slightly in embarrassment, fidgeting with the edge of her sleeve to try and hide her mild discomfort. "Oh, uhm, well, thank you, Dom. Y'shoulda seen m'mum, though -- she was the most beautiful 'are I've evah seen. Julia an' I in'erited our fur colour from 'er, an' she was always s'graceful, even when fightin'. She was actually a Fightah, like you. M'sword used t'be 'ers. She was shorter'n me, though, which makes wearin' 'er old dresses a bit of a pickle. I had t'do some alterin'." She's also avoiding his compliment now.

Dominik tilts his head just slightly as Felicity mentions him being the Dibbuns' favorite caretaker. He smiles, even blushing a little, which is easier to see with his fur still being lighter than normal. "Heh. Er. Really? You think so? Vell...heh...is...Dom's favorite job to do, as vell. Yes, tossing around recruits is fun, but...getting to see leetle vuns' smiles and laughings means a lot more to Dom. So is good thing, means a lot. Is...glad to hear." He glances down for a few moments, his paw fiddling with the cup still held within. "Ahem. Yes. Am sure mother vas very pretty, very good vith sword. Most of times, things handed down from mother to daughter, and granddaughter." He smiles. "Felicity's mother vould be very proud of her daughter, and very happy to see daughter being looked after so vell." 

Felicity nods. "I 'ope t'be able t'pass th'sword on t'm'own leverets someday..." she then smiles at the buck's embarrassment. Ha! Serves him right! "Oh, aye, I know y'Julia's favourite, t'be sure. Th'othah Caretakahs always get on them f'r their messes, an' don't play wi' 'em at th'same level o' depth as you. I'm pretty sure they love ya a lot."

Dominik does seem rather touched by that particular revelation. It wasn't something he'd actively pursued, in all honesty...he was simply treating the leverets with the same respect he knew he'd wish to be treated with, and not looking down on them at all for being, well....kids. The buck simply smiles and shrugs. "Vell, is glad to hear..." he replies, simply. "Dom loves leetle vuns, as vell. Hmm. Am thinking Dom should probably return upstairs, now, has things to do, can't spend all day down here..." He pushes himself up, then stretches, before he turns to head for the entrance to the alcove. "Am assuming Felicity vill be following, yes?" He remains there waiting for her to follow, smiling back at her as he waits.

Felicity smiles, happy that she made her friend happy. She gets up to follow him. "Aye, o' course! An' while we're at it, let's see if we c'n find a box f'r y't'keep Blorg in so 'e doesn't get broken. An' may'ap some glue, too...." She'll follow him upstairs and go do her off-duty stuff once they're done doing their team stuff, since finding him was her last on-duty thing of the day...

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

Board footer