Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-04-21 02:00:06 AM

Willow

Re: Misc. IC LP stuff

I'm just going to copy and paste all the page mails here as the muck only saves 10 of them at a time and there were a lot! It might make it a bit easier to remember what we're talking about:

----
Terrence
----
First off I'm P-mailing everyone to keep everyone in the loop (if I missed someone I'm sorry D: (And I'm doubly sorry Greg, Adrian, and Dom for Pming Alts but I want to make sure you see this tongue). In response to Zolomon's first P #mail about making Greg a mjr: before I say anything, I need to make it clear that I'm talking purely about RP/IC stuff and not OOC perms (because I have no clue about that stuff tbh tongue). I think because we have only like 6 players (7 including Elbio) in the LP, it might make more sense to just combine the two units into one patrol. That way, with the new recruits (and Dom), the whole patrol can nicely filled out instead of the barebones stuff we have RN... and technically there should be at least two sergeants under a Lieutenant anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem either.  So basically (without taking into account future promotions and stuff)  the IC/RP Patrol would look like: Mjr Varus, then Lt. G
(to Adrian, Dominik, Elbio, Felicity, Gregorian, Monty, Quinten, Sola, Varus and Zolomon)

----
Terrence 
----
(continued from last PM) --then Lt. Greg, then Sgts. Felicity & Terrence, then Corporal Zolomon (and Adrian if wink he gets back) + Dom, Elbio, Monty, Sola, and the other recruits split up between F's and T's squads.
(to Adrian, Dominik, Elbio, Felicity, Gregorian, Monty, Quinten, Sola, Varus and Zolomon)

----
Terrence         
----
As for the Tenderfoot stuff, last I heard the plan was for the recruits (Elbio, Sola, and others) to go to the mountain without Adrian and Monty after a visit to Redwall. That way Adrian and Monty are free to quest forever together without concerns of their unknown potential horrible demise back home tongue (If I missed something or things changed, feel free to correct me guys cuz I dunno much about it XD)

----
Terrence         
----
Correction to my first PM: 10* players in total (I'm sorry I forgot you Quinton! plus Riley)

----
Zolomon       
----
I believe all was returning feom tenderfoot group.
(to Adrian, Dominik, Elbio, Felicity, Gregorian, Monty, Quinten, Sola, Terrence and Varus)

----
Terrence       
----
EHEM after talking to Varus, I heard Jinora is hoping to come back in the Summer - so please disregard my first PM, please! Sorry to spam you all!

----
Elbio           
----
I think when they get back to the mountain Elbio is gonna stay and be a private....he is likely a private by now but guessing that is when get to Mt.
(to Adrian, Dominik, Felicity, Gregorian, Monty, Sola, Terrence, Varus and Zolomon)

----
Gregorian
----
Last I spoke to Jinora 26/2/20 she said she wasn't coming back. Hopefully Varus recalls when he last spoke to her so we know which is the most up to date info! Would be nice if she was coming back. As far as I know the Tenderfoot hares aren't splitting up and will go to Redwall and then the mountain or get caught up in the abbey kidnapping and then go home. Not aware of any plans for Adrian and Monty wandering off alone forever though"
(to Adrian, Dominik, Elbio, Felicity, Quinten, Terrence and Zolomon)

----
Felicity         
----
i think these are all our actually active players O.o  just so y'all know, since we've gotten conflicting info as to when/if jinora's returning, i have contacted her and will let everyone know her answer when she responds to me smile
(to Adrian, Dominik, Elbio, Gregorian, Quinten, Terrence and Zolomon)

----
Felicity       
----
i think this is all of the actually active players.  please move and copy ALL discussions about what to do about the patrols and stuff to here: open, everyone can see it, it's fair for everyone 'cause everyone can have a say in it, and everyone can reference back to it and see what has been decided.  also, please read this: http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?id=1589 and comment on it, if you think it's necessary.  also, i have emailed otter about what to do and will hopefully be adding his thoughts to that post once they arrive in my inbox.
(to Adrian, Dominik, Elbio, Gregorian, Quinten, Terrence and Zolomon)

#52 2020-04-21 10:42:37 AM

Elmef

I like the idea of combining the patrols to put all the active players in one patrol.
That way there is less a need to make up a whole bunch of NPCs to fill them out and people can go on missions together as a team.

Quinten mostly sits around the mountain doing his job running the day to day activities of the mountain
maintaining records etc. so I don't really have any stake in the who is what rank game.
But some promotions at least as Jinora is currently missing wouldn't go amiss and if she comes back I am sure she can pick up with what has happened in h er absence.

#53 2020-04-21 03:53:32 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Terrence:  Thank you for putting those Pmails here; that will be helpful for the discussion smile

Elmef: I had not thought about the whole IC teamwork aspect, you're right.  Excellent points!

#54 2020-04-21 05:08:39 PM

Willow

Just for clarity, I put the pmails up and I play Greg!

Regarding the patrols. It seems logical so everyone can join together when things happen rather than just one unit or the other handling it and the patrol might feel a little less spread thin that way. I might have Greg ICly slightly disappointed because if Jinora is gone then he was next in command within that unit but he'd go where he's told and get used to it.

The only potential concerns I can think of is that the two majors meant that people with multiple characters could have them in other units so they weren't in charge of their own char but so long as they're not promoting themselves at random and unilaterally deciding stuff that's not really a worry. There was also a balance of power with two characters in charge at the same rank so one person wasn't in charge of everyone. To be clear I'm not saying Varus is going to go mad with power! OOCly no one is in charge and of course ICly multiple people can use the Badger Lord. Just speaking as someone who has played group leading characters before there is another effect this can have, it can mean that situations stall with the idea that people feel the need to stop and wait to see what the boss tells them to do. This might be less of a problem here though as there are levels of management within the patrol anyway so there are other officers and we've been without one Major for a while now really because Jin was last on ages ago.

#55 2020-04-21 07:01:32 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Well, like a nincompoop, I misread who put up the pmails on this post.  I apologize, Greg.

I see your concerns, and I can understand them.  I really don't understand the OOC aspect of having everyone in different units, so if everyone who does understand it makes a mostly-unanimous decision, I'll go along with it smile  I'm mostly just trying to encourage group-wide discussions so we can all collaborate.  Even if it's about something I don't fully understand.

#56 2020-04-21 08:32:41 PM

Elbio Hare and Alts

Wouldn't need the two majors....just one, guess be Varus? And Greg be LT still...unless he DOES become one of the Generals as Generals are in charge of areas of the MT...and Greg is the Master Blacksmith of the MT.....of course means maybe slight promotions, hmmmms......I picture this:

Major=Varus still
Lt=Terrence?
Captain=Its not needed
Corporals = Adrian and Zolomon
Sargeant=Felicity
Private First Class: Riley
Privates=Domink,Monty,Elbio?,Alpine

Sent to Ghost be= Jinora and Sersi

Your Generals would just add Gregorian to list and Quinten is of course still general....

All higher ups are not a unit and are basically....guess bosses of...all?

And duhhhh Badger Lord has final say so ICLY.....

There go:)

I play
Elbio-LP Hare
Vilfred-LOG-A-LOG

#57 2020-04-22 02:50:34 AM

Willow

I've joked about Greg becoming a General before as it was mentioned as an option when he was rejoining the patrol since he is in charge of the forge but it does kind of feel like it might be taking him out of the active patrol. It doesn't seem like they would usually to go out in the field, do the rescue missions and stuff. Granted they still can do them, just that if his main job is the forge he should probably be there rather than gallivanting across the land.
It would one day be a good way to get him to retire without actually retiring. Though even now the forge would be seriously lacking in hares if he did go out on a mission and die and he doesn't make it common knowledge but he does have pain issues related to his leg that he has medication for so him gallivanting off for unknown amounts of time is frowned upon by healers already. This doesn't mean he wouldn't still do it though.
The badger lord works in the forge too of course but I'd just been assuming that Greg's pretty much the last of the old blacksmiths and he's been trying to teach some of the recruits to become smiths with varying levels of success and burnt fur.

#58 2020-04-22 08:15:24 AM

Mother Krisha

Greg as a general...so a more grumpy greg? tongue

#59 2020-04-27 05:30:40 PM

oz

Think all will stay same rank....for now. Maybe Greg can be a general later on smile. I am gonna try and fix up the list....make a main patrol ...2nd one will just be empty for now and course ghost one stays...maybe will add a recruit list too...maybe think we only have NPCs of those right now

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#60 2020-04-27 06:07:03 PM

oz

Ok all up to date .
So we have main divison now.
Others are NPCs....so Divsion 2 is full of NPCS..as for recruits guess they are NPCS for now till some player joins as a Recruit.

Anyone want to make a healer for the LP?

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol

#61 2020-04-27 07:10:43 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Thanks for doing that, Oz!

Oh my goodness, yes!  We need some player Healers in the Patrol...

#62 2020-06-10 10:05:46 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

We are considering promoting Terrence to a higher version of Sergeant after the end of the Dibbun Slavers TP, so let's get the conversation going over here smile

Also....Felicity basically runs the drills and training for the Recruits, Privates, and the occasional Corporal.  At least, that's how I've been running her, and no one has said anything to contradict it.  So should we make her Drill Sergeant, since that's what she does? 

Should I focus some of the things I say she ICly does to be more specialized to training Runners, as well?  I mean, that's her specialty, and I've been thinking about it for a few weeks.

#63 2020-06-10 10:46:21 PM

oz

She would likely train runners yeah:) And try her best keep other lower ranks in order as well...And there isn't an option for different sergeants...guessing its assumed they have other tasks . And Captain is a special rank that's for fighters and Terrence is a fighter...and captains are in charge of special things too smile

I play:

#64 2020-06-11 06:03:21 AM

Elmef

I've always run Quinten as running the Leveret School, managing who is on sentry duty / at home and managing the day to day admin of keeping the mountain running. But he stays out of active patrol/campaign planning unless it is to point people to historical records and maps and such in the library they might need.

I've always seen it that things like making sure the Infirmary is running, the kitchens cook food, we have supplies in stock, the farm on the side of the mountain is managed properly, inventories of the armoury, that the training drills etc. happen and recruits are taken care of and Dormitories are kept in good order etc. He has over-all command of those sort of day to day things, but doesn't actually run them himself, he's just the administrator who keeps the paperwork in order and delegates down to people like Felicity etc. who are the experts to make it happen.

He manages the paperwork and checks people have what they need to get their jobs done and offer support as needed.

#65 2020-06-12 02:02:53 PM

Ol'random
Website

alrighty! I'm going to reserve this reply so I can edit it later with more exact info on the different sergeant ranks and stuff so i can geek out in full tongue
I'll be mostly pulling from the British Army of the Napoleonic Wars (roughly 1803-1815) if that's alright with everyone

Edit #1: alright here it goes:
So strictly in my opinion, I think the way the current rank structure in the LP is could do with a face lift. We've talked about this before in this thread (I think?) and others, but I just wanna say it here to clarify what I think could be changed.
I will be using mainly this source from the Redwall Wiki:https://redwall.fandom.com/wiki/Long_Patrol#Known_Members_of_the_Long_Patrol it lists every single LP hare in the books and their rank. I also used the various Wikipedia pages on British (and in the case of master sergeant US) military ranks in history to get more details on the book ranks with a bit of streamlining on my part.

Currently the Rank System for the LP the same as as has been for the past few years:

1 The Badger Lord

2 Commissioned Officers

2.1 Brigadier
    2.2 General
    2.3 Colonel
    2.4 Major
    2.5 Captain
    2.6 Lieutenant

3 Non-Commissioned Officers

3.1 Sergeant
    3.2 Corporal

4 Non-Officers/Enlisted

4.1 Private First Class
    4.2 Private
    4.3 Recruit

Which has worked fine, but I want to propose a new system that won't change much but will use more of the ranks found in both the Redwall books and history:
(I will put each rank abbreviation next to the rank name and bolded the stuff that I propose to change or add to the list)
1. The Badger Lord

2 .Commissioned Officers (COs):

2.1 General (Gen) - I want to switch these two as both in RL and the books the rank of General is higher than Brigadier (though this honestly doesn't matter all that much...
    2.2 Brigadier (Brg)
    2.3 Colonel (Col)
    2.4 Major (Mjr)
    2.5 Captain (Capt)
    2.6 Lieutenant (Lt)
    2.7 Sub-Lieutenant (SbLt) - This rank is similar Ensign (COs in training) but for NCOs who have already served in the Long Patrol for some time and have experience in leadership and battle. It is an active fighting role and serves as the assistant to the Mjr, Cpt, and Lt. The next rank up is Lieutenant.
    2.8 Ensign (Ens) - This is the lowest Commissioned Officer rank and is not an active fighting role, this rank is roughly equivalent to role of the recruit; Ensigns are generally held by teens learning to be an officer acting as a pseudo-servant for COs (usually major and below) while being taught by those same COs and the Master Sergeant. While technically outranking all NCOs they are required to obey any given order from sergeants and above. Usually only leverets with particularly good grades in the mountain school or can become ensigns instead of recruit, though recruits who show particular talent in leadership, strategy, and discipline are given the option to become an ensign. Training usually takes from about 4-8 seasons (1-2 years), though exceptions can be made depending on the circumstances. The next rank up is Lieutenant or Sub-Lieutenant, depending on how well the Ensign is trained.

3 Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs):

3.1 Master Sergeant (MSg) - most senior NCO in a given unit and acts as an adviser and assistant for COs, in charge of relaying orders and letting each sergeant in the unit what the orders from the Lt, Capt, or Mjr are. They also serve to act as advisers and instructors to newly made Lieutenants, generally being their second in command. The next rank up is either Sub-Lieutenant or full Lieutenant, but usually a master sergeant stays a master sergeant unless there is a need for COs.
   3.2 Colour Sergeant (CSgt) - In addition to the standard sergeant role, this rank is for long-time serving sergeants who act as both protectors of ensigns (the most junior of the COs) and are in charge of supplies and logistics of the unit. When there is no Master Sergeant present, they are the most senior NCO. The next rank is Master Sergeant or Sub-Lieutenant, and in special cases either Sub-Lieutenant or full Lieutenant.
    3.3 Sergeant (Sgt) - the next ranks can either be Colour Sergeant or Master Sergeant, and in special cases either Sub-Lieutenant or full Lieutenant (such as Lt. Greg)
    3.4 Corporal (Cpl)

4 Non-Officers/Enlisted:
    4.1 Lance-Corporal (LCpl) - The exact same rank as Private First Class (a junior rank), but an older name for it that also appears in the Redwall Books
    4.2 Private (Pvt)
    4.3 Recruit (Rct)

As for Drill Sergeant, that seems to be more of a job-description than a proper rank and acts as a disciplinary figure to keep the unit in formation mainly, kind of like Quarter Master... But there's nothing stopping you guys from taking on that role smile

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-06-12 04:49:14 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#66 2020-06-13 09:28:22 AM

oz

I like this and Quinten does so much he WOULD be like the highest hare there smile.

Also with Sargeants...who would be what with the 3 we hare?= Zolomon, Felicity,Terrence

I think most others as you said stay the same smile

MAYBE some promotions after they get back from saving the dibbuns.

I also think we need a list of NPCS and their ranks/ect.....here are mine

Old Pete- A retired Major that's REALLY OLD...and he sticks around and mainly does sentry duty

Cole- Private/Fighter
Slaw- Private/Healer

Cole and Slaw are twins so get mixed up sometimes smile

I play:

#67 2020-06-13 01:32:27 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I like your ideas, Terrence!  I vote we forward this facelift of the ranks and go with what T said above smile

#68 2020-06-13 02:17:25 PM

LeeJ

So, does Varus stay a Major, and Adrian a Corporal?

Characters: Lee, Lacota, Thomas, William, Adrian, Varus, Abel

#69 2020-06-13 04:08:40 PM

Ol'random
Website

Personally, I would like Terrence to stay at the sergeant level - if he must be promoted, there are the colour sergeant or master sergeant ranks.
Lee, the problem with promoting Varus is that a, we'd be out of a major and b, anything higher than major means less time on the ground with the troops which could mean less opportunities to RP...
As for Adrian, depending on what your and Dom's plans are for him and Monty, maybe we can get them to be ensigns together and have their adventures in officers school/training for a while? (as a side note I'm also thinking about making a hare who will be *forever* an ensign/sublieutenant just to have some variety if people are okay with that)

To add on to Oz's list of NPCs, here are all the ones I've used:

Pvt. Amaryllis ‘Amy’ M. Greenhill, Fighter

Edit:Pvt. Broadfoot D. Reuenthal, Fighter

Pvt. Berle H. J. Flightfoot, Runner (Scout)

Pvt. Darrick N. Addersmith, Runner (Scout)

Pvt. Hemlock S. Mosswood, Runner (Scout)

Pvt. Jade V. Weedwill-Smith, Runner

Pvt. Konner D. Attenborough, Runner

Pvt. Lawrence E. Harolds, Fighter

Rt-Cpt. Lucia C. Barcid-Cadwallader, Fighter (and Terrence's mother)

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-06-17 11:54:01 AM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#70 2020-06-13 05:07:11 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

.....man, I just spoof leverets.....well, and Recruits.  Whisowsky is still a Recruit....

I think if Felicity was promoted, she'd just be a Colour Sargent.

#71 2020-06-14 08:30:59 AM

oz

Ok so this is the set up we have now, least of active player Characters, hares :

Quinten-General(so he is highest  ranking hare )

Varus-Major

Gregorian-Lieutenant

Adrian-Corporal

Zolomon, Terrence, Felicity- Sargeants

Riley-Private 1st Class

Dominik, Donica,Monty-Privates

There is also a named NPC that's a higher up:

Locke-Colonel

Brigadier- Paisley (This is a shared Character according to the web site but I believe Jinora was the only one who used them and when did spoofed them cause the name is wiped now....so maybe we just spoof ..think was a her. Or get a new Brigadier?

We also have these named NPCs(Think Varus runs them? But are they Privates or Recruits)

-Yerna

- Serena

And a final note....we also have things like cooks and some other odd jobs like I know Sola is not  one of the three main things (runner,fighter , healer)

And Koda looks to be in training with Quinten now as his assistance

So, there is that to think on, those not in active patrol but still important as said cooks etc.....

Ok that's all

I play:

#72 2020-06-14 02:50:48 PM

KeldornFirepaw

You guys have another healer now

Keifer Sage Jetlake  Meadowbreeze

Last edited by KeldornFirepaw (2020-06-14 02:56:11 PM)

#73 2020-06-15 11:22:53 AM

BlisaMarshmellow

There's also the named leverets:
Julia
Grace

I don't remember other leverets other people have spoofed and named.  But they're in the list, as well, I think.

Oh, and I made Julia into a real character, so that needs to be fixed on the wiki.  I'll try to do that when I have time (and aren't procrastinating starting my homework tongue )

~*~

Yay!  Another Healer big_smile

#74 2020-06-16 04:41:29 PM

Elmef

All of this sounds good to me
And it fits in with the way I have always sort of played it that the General stays home and does the paperwork but helps out with planning and tactics and rotas and admin. But generally doesn't get out in the field any more.

#75 2020-06-16 09:57:08 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Board footer