Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-02 12:55:28 PM

The_Brony_Marek

Defenders:Recruitement Drive:Redwall

Happens right after this log http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?id=25

RW:Entry
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
You stand on a grassy sward between two cottages.  To the south you see a small, calm pond.  To the north lies an open space where the Abbey has its feasts in the warmer seasons. To the east is the Great Hall, a massive structure that rises far above the abbey walls and is completed with large towers that pierce upwards into the sky.  The main building is completed with a large, iron banded door that would allow one into the Great Hall. 
Coolness has swept into the air now, bringing with it the autumn leaves of the orchards.  Coating the trails that lace and move through the dying grass and flowers.  Regardless of the death of plants, the area is beautiful in its gold and orange season.  The abbey is sporting the colors in full pride.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Despite the fall chill in the air the gates of Redwall stood open and busy to traffic. Even though the heavy snows have not hit yet winter was coming. One could almost feel it's terrible cold waiting around the corner. There was only so much time left for beasts to stock the abbey's larder with the seasons harvest.

There is a certain excitement today as beasts are abuzz with activity.   

Zee arrives carrying a chest, not too large of one, it’s a small chest in fact. He sits it down in the entry staying beside it as he looks around for someone. He then leans on his staff as if a little tried "Dislike cold days"   

Zolomon follows him inside as he hands his longbow and quiver to a guard, but not before making sure to give instructions first on its care, he walks over to the badger and shrugs "Not too bad gramps. be snowing here in a few weeks, ya know snow ball fights and snow forts, get fun"   

Quade has walked out into the cold air with an umbrella, uncertain as to whether it was going to snow as if he did not trust the weather; of course this way have something to do with the large plate of food that Quade is carrying with him: half a pie, a small loaf of bread, two different chunks of cheese and bowl of soup...clearly this squirrel has quite the appetite.   

And then there is Brook. The ferret stands awkwardly at the gates simply for being the only ferret in sight. "Well...if they let foxes in here..." She says aloud. The ferret eyes the guards at the gate nervously and while she is given a bit of an odd glance no one seems to try and stop her from entering. Still doesn't change the fact that the ferret feels like she is walking under a guillotine coming inside. This was Redwall, the Blood Red Wall o' vermin slaying from history. It was quite honestly the last place she wanted to be but with her belly thin and winter coming...Brook shakes her head, puts on her best smile and just fights through her nervousness as she walks in.   

Thunderwing circles once and then twice and lands in a cleared off area of the entry, a couple nearby beasts back off from him as he nods a hello.   

Zee smiles "Hello my feathered friend, good to see you. Stay awhile as I do have something important to mention for a friend, as well as locate a beast here soon, but it can wait for now."   

Zolomon waves to Quade "Your my kind of beast chap, lots of good food, tis good here." And then he is curious of Zee's chest “Whats in the chest gramps and who's it for or is it your chest?"   

Quade eyes the chest with curiosity and he finds a place to sit down and eat his food. "Aye, the chest indeed. It be a strange thing to see a beast dragging a chest around, especially one as old and..." He pauses for a second thinking his words so as not to offend Zee. "Umm...wise as you" He then notices Thunderwing and backs up slowly, making sure to take his food with him. "Does anybeast else notice that there is an EAGLE in your village, ahem...abbey?"   

Thunderwing tilts his head " Thunderwing is friend to all good beasts."   

The squirrel took the words right out of Brook's mouth. "Y-yyaaaah..." She chitters quite noisily. She steps backward, tripping over her own tail and landing on her rump before scurrying away on all fours, finally hiding behind the very tree Quade and the others are at. "Blazes they really do welcome all beasts here." She glances at the feast the squirrel has and her eyes go wide and her stomach rumbles.   

Zee smiles "Thunderwing be a friend and as fer the chest its fer a beast named Dorarose as to whats in it not saying Zolomon, sorry."   

Zolomon pouts "Whatever gramps...this ummm...." He thinks "DR can have it that’s jolly well fine"   

Quade breathes a sigh of relief, sets his food down and speaks nervously. "Yes of course, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions" He starts back up on his food, curiously waiting for whatever the strange collection of beasts he has found himself with have to say.   

"Oi. Never nice to judge a book by its cover now ain't it?" Brookshire says from behind the beasts. And as if to prove that one can't judge a beast by their species the theify looking ferret reaches for the food Quade set aside to eat something from it. Right in front of him all the while saying, "Hey, this stuff looks fairly good. How much did this cost..."   

Thunderwing looks around and for now is quiet as he doesn't have much to say just yet.   

DoraRose exits the main Abbey building and heads over to the gate, nodding to the guards who had taken over Gatekeeper duties while she got lunch. Taking her bastard sword back from one of the guards, she relieves him so he, too, can get some food. Waving to the beasts crowded around the tree, she takes a few steps so she is within speaking distance. "Hello, there. Welcome to Redwall Abbey. My name is DoraRose Strongheart; I'm the Gatekeeper and a Resident Warrior here."   

Zee waves to Dorarose, "Dorarose so good to see you my friend, if I could have a moment of your time lass I have a couple things to discuss...well one involves others as well." He looks to the rest nearby "A group has been started, Mossflower Defenders and Marek asked me ta recruit beasts. A group to keep an eye out for trouble before it starts, we have a couple members already, one being me nephew Xander"

Zolomon nods as he fiddles with one of his ears that was behind him, it’s a little swollen on top and has some stiches in it, "Yeah, I already joined Gramps ya know that..." He then smiles at Dorarose, "Hallo lass your DR? How nice to meet ya lass" Seems the hare nicknamed all around, as he looks back to Zee" Wot about TW...or...Q here, bet they be interested, ummm....chaps?"   

Quade slowly blinks at the nicknames that Zolomon is throwing around. "Well I suppose you may call me Q if you wish, friend. A little name shorting never hurt anybeast" he takes a large mouthful of pie and picks a slightly poor time to speak. "Moffower Defenda, hmm? I woulf wike top john, Merhop u ca help me fin moi swor?"   

Thunderwing seems not to annoyed at his nickname, and then the squirrel speaks and the bird is confused "What words coming from squirrels mouth, Thunderwing not understanding this language"   

The ferret behind Quade can be seen to stretch out her paw longingly for the pie he devours. "Pie..." She shakes her head. She stands there like the odd beast out. The vermin in the group who is desperately trying not to eavesdrop in on the conversation but alas, does anyway. Her ears tingle at the prospect of a job. It was the reason she came here...well, she was actually planning on stocking up on the larder while no one was looking but if there is money to be made. Suddenly the ferret just seems to appear in the middle of the group, "Oi, don't pain no mind to him. Probably just forest madness. What's dis fancy talk about mercenary work?"   

DoraRose raises her eyebrow skeptically. "Marek, huh?" She says in a voice that shows that she's not exactly thrilled with the prospect of working with/for that 2-faced stoat who once took over Redwall. She may or may not still be mad at him and extremely untrusting of him. She has conniptions with warlords and conquerors, after all. "I'll think about it....oh my word, /please/ stop talking with your mouth full! Were you born in a barn and raised in a field??" The Q is the subject of this little spurt of grumpiness. Poor TW gets ignored for a moment. "Also, there is only one beast that I allow call me D.R. Please either call me Dora or DoraRose, Mr. ...Oh!" Then ferret happens! SO MANY THINGS HAPPENING AT ONCE! The mouse decides to just listen for a few more moments. Listening is always a good thing, right? Right.   

If said Larder had been looted, there is one beast in the Abbey who wouldn't soon forget that particular crime. And thus he appears from the direction of the Open Ground, the nightmare of all would-be larder looters, Lacota, the Friar. "And what, may I ask, is going on here?" He eyes the strangers with no small amount of suspicion. "DoraRose, what is going on here? Who are these ruffians?" The squirrel especially eyes the ferret, as if sizing up how much of a criminal she might be.   

Zee nods "Thinking is always good lass or you can talk to him directly, he was here earlier...arrow in the foot paw...long story but Leon helped and then Marek went back to Ferravale area for something important......oh yes the chest, yes. “He shows a small chest to Dorarose "A favor please lass, to hold on ta this till Xander comes with the key for it, he will open it and it has, well instructions for a next step. Tis a bit of a test to show he is ready to wield The Blade Of The Northwind Storms"   

Zolomon looks over at the friar, well he has no pies...today anyways that was the other day he ate 3, or was it 4, he forgot and he decides to just look at...oh the wall looks nice today tongue.   

Quade holds up one finger and then swallows. "My apologies. My name is Quade Bracktor, and I would be happy to join your group, provided that your leader will help me look for my sword it would seem I have" He takes a bite of cheese. "Misplaced it"   

Thunderwing looks to Zee "Thunderwing will join Mossflower Defenders friend Zee, Thunderwing need fishys now" He backs up so he has room and then flies away towards the pond, grabs a large fish and flies off into the woods to have a late lunch.   

"Is this a job I hear? An actual job? Not sweeping the floors and selling potions or some other-" Brook pauses, she sniffs the air, her head eventually falling upon Lacota, "You..." She slides over to the friar, "You smell of food." She tries to slide an arm around the squirrel, "You smell of a lot of food. Pie." Sniff sniff, "Apples." Sniff sniff sniff, "And other goodies." The ferret gives Lacota the most serious stare ever, "Where do you keep the food here. WHERE."   

DoraRose accepts the chest. "I'll keep it very safe, don't worry. Should I keep it hidden, or no?" She then holds it on her hip like a toddler and goes to grab the ferret's ear. "Oi, leave our Friar alone. If you want food you need to ask for it politely, like a normal beast. Land sakes, I'm surrounded by ruffians and barbarians!!" She's having a grumpyish day, don't mind her. "Honestly, Lacota, I'm not sure what's all going on. I just got here from having lunch."   

Lacota looks deeply uncomfortable, and practically glares at the grab-happy ferret. "Goodies for Abbeybeasts..." He bats at her paw. "If you haven't found the pantry yet, I'm not saying anything." The squirrel looks to DoraRose with a nod of satisfaction. "Thank you... as for you," he points at Zolomon. "I know about the pies. I *know*..."   

Zee speaks "Thanks lass, he most likely won’t be looking fer it, well too soon lass....least not till I'm...well. And not ta worry Marek was just by de gate to get his foot paw tended ta." He frowns at Zolomon.   

Zolomon chuckles "Yeah Xandy is not good aim with the bally short bow....he got Mr. M's foot paw, his own and my poor ear. “That explains the missing ear piece, "Stuck to a archer target how horrible." He is not listening to the squirrel "I was so upset I ate 2 delicious pies.."He then cups a paw over his mouth, "I...mean,errr.....they are so good and the 4 apple ones few days ago was.....and..." He messes up again, he looks around" I think I should go....yeah Brother L needs to umm....check my ear by!" He then slowly edges away.   

Quade surveys the seriousness of the situation, but is a little preoccupied with his own troubles. "I know it might seem ridiculous to place finding my sword as a stipulation to me joining your group, but it is a very important sword" He finishes his pie and then starts on the soup. "Where I am from, across the Eastern Sea it was passed through many generations until I was eventually to wield it. It is a symbol of hope and one of the last remnants of my home. It must be found, or my village's legacy will quickly die"   

The ferret whines, and whines loudly, "Alright alright, le'go le'go." She frees herself of the mouse’s grip. "So you mean all I got to do to get a meal here is ASK for one?" She pauses. "What in the blazes am I doing here talking to you lot then?" She turns swiftly and makes a steady march for the abbey proper.   

DoraRose releases the ferret. Pointing to the Friar, she says, "Well, you need to ask hi--oh, ferget it." Eyeing the possible confrontation between Friar and Hare, the Warrior backs away a little and decides to only have the comment, "No maiming, mauling, injuring, or killing in the Abbey, remember," be her only addition to that little fiasco-in-process. Looking at the other squirrel, she says, "I understand. My axe has been in my family for generations; hopefully one day my daughter will wield it, or her child if she gets married. Do you have any idea where you lost your sword?"   

Zee speaks "Your welcome to join Quade, and we have an eagle now with good old Thunderwing joining up"   

Lacota looks at the hare, mouth agape. "Do you hear that, DoraRose? The thief admits his crimes! The fiend! No remorse! Honestly! YOU, Come here, you thief!"   

Zolomon backs away "I....ummmm......need to go!" He looks around and points behind Lacota "Whats that !!!" Then he runs quickly to the pond!   

Benar steps out of the belltower, chatting quietly to one of the brothers who ring the bells. The grey squirrel's head comes up as he hears Lacota's voice and he stares across the green grass. He frowns but doesn't move towards the group yet, staying well back.   

Quade smiles. "Run fast my half-eared friend!" He turns to Zee. "Thank you for your offer, I am glad to join any group that is willing to protect the innocent. Your leader has an ally in me" He then turns his attention to DoraRose. "I was camping south of here at an abandoned church and when I awoke in the night, Furyblazer was gone"   

Zee nods and smiles "Thanks lad..." He watches the hare flee and sighs, "Well sure he didn’t go far"   

"Yeah, I ain't helpin' you, thar," Dora drawls, really wanting to not get caught in the middle of a dispute between the Friar and...well, anyone except her family, actually, and especially not when the miscreant is a hare. "I can't run that fast," She adds as an excuse. Waving to the Abbot, she says to the Q, "Hmm, sounds like it was stolen. So you were in the ruins of St. Ninian's church....how long ago was that?"   

Lacota sighs, and decides to forgo chasing the thief. "I will catch the fiend eventually. In the meantime..." He peers at Quade. "Why on earth would you choose to stay the night at Saint Ninian's? Place is a fire trap and a haven for criminals." He nods curtly to the Abbot. "Benar. I don't recall if I saw you at lunch or not. You did eat, didn't you?"   

Benar asks, "Ah I had lunch in my study Friar, I was going over our winter supplies with Sister Hazel and Brother Roberto," He walks over to the group and looks at Quade and DoraRose and bows to them both, "Good day to you both, and you as well Lacota, what does all the commotion seem to be about?"

Zee nods. "Lacota has a point my friend, 'tis not a good place to be camping for the night"

Quade nods in respect. "Tis' a lesson I have now learned, but I am a stranger to your land" He takes finishes both the soup and the bread by mashing them together. "Where I came from their were a few villages and even a monastery, but nothing even a fifth the size of this majestic abbey"   

DoraRose sighs and looks lovingly at the main Abbey building. "Isn't it, though? You say you're from across the Eastern Sea? Do you mean the inland lake or the sea up North? I thought for sure there'd be a few more beasts over that way." Smiling, she shifts the chest the badger gave her in her grip so it's resting on her other hip. She now has easier access to her sword, too, which is good since she's on guarding-the-gate duty...which she's doing pretty well, too, while holding on a conversation. Although since no one is attacking, it's easier. "I hope your day's going well, Benar."

Lacota looks up as well, toward the bell tower. "This place is the largest in Mossflower, I do believe. We do welcome you here." He also nods at Benar absently. "Good, good. I need to talk to Sister Hazel, myself... Mayhaps later today."   

Benar says, "I think Hazel was heading to Cavern Hole after we finished," he looks up at the wall tops then over at the main abbey building then smiles at Quade, "We are very lucky here to have this place, the walls protect us and mean that if we are attacked we do not have to constantly rebuild."

Zee nods as he leans on his staff"The abbey be a great place to live or visit, and it looks like the defenders group may go well and has their first mission, find Quade’s blade, there is even a headquarters slowly being built now"   

Quade shakes Zee's paw in thanks, and then turns very confused to DoraRose. "Um....well, Ms. I'm not a very good judge of direction. I am fairly certain in East, but the only thing I can be absolutely certain of is that it is a Sea, or Ocean as some beasts may call" He pauses. "If only Father Gorvenalus had come with me, he's very good with maps...but" He tries to hold back his tears but finds him unable to do so. "..Well, most beasts in my village were wiped out by plague and the rest were either killed or capture by a vile beast who burned my village to the ground" he finally finishes all of his food. "The world was a better place with all those beasts, I should have been there...I should have perished in that fire with them"   

"Oh.....oh, I'm so sorry..." DoraRose goes to rest a gentle paw on the Q's shoulder. "It's not your fault...." A guard calls to the Gatekeeper, something about needing her urgently. Shoot. Biting her lip, she turns back to the squirrel and says, "I need to go, I'm sorry. We can talk later." She then hurries away with the chest, waving good-bye to the beasts under the tree as she goes to see what on Earth is the matter with the guards. The chest will go under her bed eventually, out of sight. She can explain to her husband and children later...   

Lacota turns to look at Zee. "What defenders? What are you talking about?" Only now does the squirrel really take notice of the main conversation. "Is this something I should know about?" He points a finger at Quade. "Shush you. That's no way to talk. Hush that."   

Benar looks at Quade as he speaks and reaches out a hand as if to take their hand, "You must never think that friend... never. You are still here, those who have gone ahead of us would be mortified to hear you speak like that. Knowing you are still here, alive and well is probably a treasure to them and when one day you do join them think of the stories you will have to bring them?" He looks after DoraRose then at Lacota and nods, "You are alive and that is the greatest gift to them all."   

Zee nods. "I agree with the others, lad. You can't be down on yerself for the mistakes of the past, we must look to the future"   

Quade smiles as he pulls an apple from his pack (seriously, is this squirrel a hare?). "Thank you kindly, all of you. And your wisdom is greatly appreciated, Father Benar" With a more determined look he walks over to Zee. "You are all right, I will find Furyblazer and I will make my ancestors proud. And when the faces of Abbess Korvale and Father Gorvenalus see me again, they will be proud of what their friend has accomplished. Perhaps I may find my destiny here in FlowerMoss yet"   

Lacota shakes his head. "No no no, it's *Moss*flower." He adjusts his spectacles. "However, Zee, you haven't answered my question. What are these... 'Defenders' you speak of?"

Benar throws a look at Zee at Lacota's question and folds his hands into his sleeves, "Yes what are you two talking about?" He asks idly though his attention seems mostly focused on Quade, "If you ever wish to talk, please seek me out. Everyone at Redwall may bring their troubles to me."   

Zee answers" A group of beasts to defend Mossflower against threats that may come. So far looks like Quade, Thunderwing, and me nephew Xander is a member, the leader is Marek. Marek is on Mossflowers side though some still think he is not. He has changed a lot from wot he was many seasons ago" He leans on his staff as he speaks.   

Before the inevitable question from the friar, Quade answers. "Thunderwing is an eagle...and a rather menacing one at that. It would seem that Zee and his family have known this eagle for many seasons" he gestures to a soft patch of grass. "Zee, please sit down my friend, you look tired"

Lacota's eyes narrow at the mention of Marek. "Ahem, hrmm, ahhh... I'm sure I must be mishearing you, Zee, certainly, my ears must be playing tricks on me. I could almost swear you said... Marek." He nods a little at Quade, adding, "Birds are not generally my cup of tea..."   

Benar frowns at Zee then turns his head to look at Lacota, "I see... well I am sure this group will do their best to protect Mossflower. I just hope they do not get over zealous and seek out trouble... and Marek... I am still on the fence about him as you know. He seems changed and," He places a paw on Lacota's arm, "One of the order's founding tenants is forgiveness, openness, a belief that anyone can find peace. But one does worry that wandering Mossflower, fighting evil, righting wrongs it may awaken that dark past he seeks to leave behind. Perhaps... a cooler, wiser leader without such a blemished history would be a better choice," He shakes his head and pulls his hands back from his Friar, "But enough of such talk, it is freezing out here let us all go inside and get something warm to drink."   

Zee nods as he listens "Inside would be good, these old bones do not like the cold, it gets to me a lot more now than it...it use to" He walks slowly to the great hall, " Not to worry bout Marek, things will be ok and he will be well behaved at the winter feast I be sure"   

Quade listens intently. "Yes, I spent some time in Farville and heard a bit about Marek's colored past. I am certain however from his more recent endeavors that he can be trusted" He jots a few things down on a piece of reed paper. "Any beast may change, I have seen what the seasons can do a beasts morality. My old friend Abbess Korvale once told me that even the coldest of hearts could thaw given time. She was the wisest Osprey I knew..well...the ONLY Osprey I knew, but you get my point"

-gh-

Lacota follows the others into the warmth of Great Hall, frowning. "Oh, now, I must protest. Maybe he changed, though I doubt it. I protest him being at the feast. This is *highly* irregular... What do the other members of the Elder Council have to say about it?"

Benar turns to look at Lacota as he follows, "They support my decision Lacota, we discussed it and I did not extend an invitation until then. The orders founding principles are based around our kindness, forgiveness and Redwall being a place of safety. Personally I do not know if I can ever forgive Marek, but I would not be worthy to continue as Abbot if I could not hold out the branch of peace and forgiveness and off it to him. Redwall is above holding a grudge, beasts can change, there have been other vermin in the past of Redwall who turned over a new leaf and made good. There are several in the archives, vermin who harmed Redwall or Mossflower but eventually saw the error of their ways. So it is not new ground, it is in fact a stalwart part of who and what we are."   

Zee listens “I trust the stoat with me life...however much is left in me anyways" He chuckles a little and slowly sits in a chair sighing a little.   

Quade has already found the October Ale (seriously, does this squirrel's stomach ever end?) and raises a glass to Zee's statement. "Indeed"

Lacota hmmphs. "That's all well and good... I disagree." He shakes his head. "Seeing as the decision was made without my input, my paws are clearly tied on the matter. I will ask that I be kept better informed in the future. I may be the youngest member of the Council, but I am a member." He sighs, looking up toward the rafters as he calms himself. "Listen, I'm sorry I snapped at you, Benar. This has been dumped on me out of nowhere. I won't say anything further, but I'd appreciate it if you or some other beast would kindly inform... Marek that I'd rather he not enter the Kitchen for any reason. I think that is a valid request."   

Benar places a paw on Lacota's arm, "I apologize Lacota, you were invited, I have no idea why the message did not reach you. I will have to have words with Brother Frederick, he was supposed to make sure you got the message. But I will make sure he is not allowed anywhere but the Great Hall that night. I am all in favor of holding out the paw of forgiveness but I'm not stupid. It could all turn out to be a colossal trick to get inside the Abbey and kidnap all the children or something. I will have beasts nearby."   

Zee is tired. "Well if no beast has anything else to say *yawn* I'm going to take a nap in Ozzy's chair...it's comfy" before anybeast can protest, Zee is already sound asleep.

Lacota nods, seeming satisfied. "That sounds good. Hopefully, all goes to plan. I need to get dinner ready, though, so I best get back to the kitchen."   

Quade's eyes dart to the sleeping Zee. "Wow, he falls asleep quickly" he takes the badger's pulse. "Ah yes, he is in fact asleep. Alright, I just thought I would check" he turns to the stairs. "I'm sure we should let the Friar get to making dinner perhaps, as much as I wouldn't want to miss that I am also fairly tired. I think I will call it a night as well, it was nice meeting you all". A plate of scones is mysteriously gone as soon as the squirrel goes up the stairs.   

Benar chuckles at Quade and smiles, "All our badgers seem adept at falling asleep. Now then I have some paperwork to do and you my young squirrel friend have more food to eat it seems." he raises a paw, "I will see you all soon."

Board footer