Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-09 02:55:42 AM

Dylan Locke

Let's just put a Horde here...

After some long deliberation I have decided to be /that guy/. You know the one, that guy. The one who thinks, "Oi! Thar not be enough excuses for random violence here!" and so he makes a Vermin Horde and plops it down in the middle of Mossflower.

Yeah.../that guy/.

Now, right about here you are most likely having one or two reactions.

"You cant just plop a horde into the middle of mossflower D: this will mess with all my plots!" Hmmm, probibly. I wont say it wont but Mossflower is big enough to hold more than one one ongoing plot.

"But hasnt this all been done before? I'm pretty sure Redwall has a revolving door for villains invading them at this point?" Short answer, yes, and I think I've seen enough horde plots fail to know what went wrong.

Do not be mistaken, this is not another short TP idea that will wrap up in at summers end. This is a long lasting public event to give players plot hooks.

This horde will be a threat to mossflower, not just Redwall. Infact Redwall wont even be their initial goal but the woods around it. Whether or not the horde does take interest with redwall is up to rp.

Players will have not just random bandits to spawn into their stories but foes who are actively working against them. A group of horde npcs will have much more easily managable reasons to go beyond robbing you on the road, instead disrupting daily afairs in a village, blocking up a river,  or targeting characters specifically to attack them.

I havnt contributed much to the game in the past year, mostly I have been focused on side plots and one shot stories. Perhaps this will help other people with their stories as well.

That...and well to be honest Im kind of tired of waiting for stars to align for my own plots. Normally I cast out feelers in the form of forum posts to test the waters and see if people are interested before commiting to an idea. Not this time, this time I am just going to build something up and let people use it. Which brings me to the final part:

Who runs this?

Essentially, you do. There are still a few details I need to finalize before doing this but the basic setting is this horde is the advance scouting parting for a larger army to the south. While the main army finishes picking over the bones of their latest conquest this group searches the area for places to loot or burn to the ground.

This group will be controlled by a sharable npc. He's a bit off kilter to explain the differences in play style, it also allows easy use to make him unstable, meaning that one player can have him be buddies with players one day, and then backstab them on a whim the next day.

Assuming...of course he isnt killed and replaced by players or other npcs.

WHO CAN JOIN AND AS WHAT?

Anyone and anything

WHEN WILL YOU STOP TYPING HERE AND GET THIS DONE AND READY TO GO?

Soon...in the next few weeks.

#2 2017-02-09 11:42:36 AM

oz

Re: Let's just put a Horde here...

This...could be intresting. I know there is a TP Marek is working on that involves a small band of badies and will involve the Defenders. The Defenders could also keep an eye on other bad groups or hordes as well.

I dont think my characters will get much involved as Oz rarely goes outside the abbey, and Juliana is a dibbun whom is deaf and mute and so not like she would fight. Patch my rat could spy on them maybe, and there is Rayen....and I have had thoughts of what if Rayen...well deciced to turn more vermin, I mean she could.....doesnt mean she would

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#3 2017-02-15 10:39:14 PM

oz

Yeah...Rayen is sort of.....is there a chance?..Maybe

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol

#4 2017-02-23 02:11:26 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

OOH!!!  Oooh ooh ooh oooh!!!

Can /I/ help run the NPC baddie dude??!  I love running crazy people!!!  And then I won't have to make another character or turn one of my existing chars evil.  May I help run a crazy bad guy?

This sounds evilly hysterical *insert maniacal laugh* big_smile big_smile big_smile

#5 2017-03-02 11:57:57 AM

Leon

Maybe I will make a new badie, villians are fun or I may make an npc-shrugs-

I play
Cota-grandson of Dorarose
Micco-Leader of the Gawtribe

#6 2017-04-20 04:40:56 PM

Madison

Hello chaps. big_smile

I've been wanting to create a horde plot for a while. I've had a particular leader character in mind, the only problems being time zone and me not being the best at organising such a big thing as a horde. tongue Plus, this character would be sort of "the man behind the man", like the Emperor to Darth Vader, and have secrets not just from good guys but bad guys too.

I'm eager to point out that I'm not trying to install myself at the top of this group. tongue But I read the posts here and I think that my character would work really well as the "final boss", so to speak, and give the shareable NPC scout leader some leeway - like Darth Vader, now I think of it. tongue He could be the leader of this initial group and the shadowy boss's right hand. And honestly to start with my character would probably just be leaving it all to him for a lot of time.

I just think it would be cool to have a dark, intelligent mastermind behind this NPC's apparent instability, and it would finally after some years allow me to play a role I've been yearning to quite a lot, since the NPC would be doing most of it all.

Wondering if anyone would be open to this idea or at least discussing it? smile

#7 2017-04-20 05:49:33 PM

oz

There has been a lot of horde plots, one just recently is finishing up in fact...you know there should be some horde trouble on the west Coast, they need a good horde to show up and have a fight. Go Long Patrol!

I play:

#8 2017-04-20 05:52:35 PM

Leon

They DO NEED a TP for the Long Patrol on the western shore. Have a horde show up there as all TPs focus on Redwall....why not Salamandastron as they do have a new Badger Lord now smile

I play

#9 2017-04-20 06:36:22 PM

Madison

Hm smile

This character I have in mind wouldn't have much beef with anywhere outside Mossflower, however I could work "luring the Long Patrol there" in... xD

#10 2017-04-20 10:26:56 PM

wallace

Is that the grumpy alcoholic squirrel Madison I see?

I play Wallace and Adyna, and spoof many more. Page me if you need help.

#11 2017-04-21 08:04:54 AM

Madison

VLpLeh0.png

#12 2017-04-21 11:51:16 AM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

I don't have much time for RP these days but I still love reading logs and the radio... or playing as an expendable grunt if I get a chance!

It feels like there are a ton of "horde" plots on the MUCK, but I don't see that as problematic. It always drums up RP (in one way or another), and some kinda' horde is the crux of almost every Redwall book.

Maybe there could be a plot involving the 67th outpost? That'd get both Mossflower and Long Patrol involved. And spare the Abbey direct conflict. Not sure who's in charge of things re: the 67th, but I bet Magramba would know.

Summer is coming and that always sees a spike in activity for the MUCK, since folks aren't dealing with school things.

Also... WB, Madison!

EDIT: Or, instead of the 67th outpost, something could be afoot at a completely dead location like the Brockhall / Farm / Quarry region. That area of Mossflower is centrally located enough for Ferravale, Redwall, and 67th members who'd like to participate, without disrupting any ongoing plots.

#13 2017-04-21 12:23:58 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

A player made this map years ago and I like to use it for location ideas when plotting things. IDK if it's 100% accurate, but it's close enough to the MUCK grid to be helpful.

Redwall-map.jpg

#14 2017-04-21 03:25:18 PM

Leon

Yeah too many come to Redwall gates like a LOT

I play

#15 2017-04-25 11:37:31 PM

Dylan Locke

Oh hey! People are replying to this xD

Glad to see people are getting involved. Send my alt dylan a page for ideas smile

#16 2017-04-27 03:22:39 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Ooooh!  Ooh!  Ooh ooh ooh!!

I like the quarry idea! big_smile  And yes, we totally need a TP over by Salamandastron; there seems to be practically no activity over there, or at least very little sad  2 TPs going on at once would be okay with me. (But then again, I'm okay with the whole "stabby stab stab" thing, so the more fights the merrier tongue

big_smile

#17 2017-05-01 10:09:06 AM

The_Brony_Marek

Western Shore be good they need role play
Maybe Mossflower Defenders could live in Brockhall? A badger is leader now after all....
Wonder if there is any snakes in the quarry anymore tongue or possible cave ins from exploreing it....who knows
Also again the Long Patrol and the badger Lord needs vermin to smash with his large war hammer!

#18 2017-05-03 01:08:22 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

x'D

What Marek said: give us things to squish with the giant badger war hammer!! xD

#19 2017-05-04 11:31:35 AM

Henry the Poet

Dylan? Dylan is that you?

Dylan old chap, how are you? It's me, Lewis! So do you want finish the rp we were doing, or should we just assume that I got away...

*Cough* *Cough* Sorry, I went into Lewis mode, that happens sometimes. Anyway, what were we posting about? Oh, right, the horde. I for one love the idea, but everyone seems to. Don't worry, I did not come to wast your time, I did have a thought.

If anybaest is aloud in the horde, that would include both vermin, woodlanders, and rarer creatures, like birds, and reptiles. So could there by an eagle? OOC, who won't want to have an epic encounter with an eagle? it could by useful if you need to kill off a character or to gain glory. IC, Eagles are some of the fiercest beast out there, and any warlord would count himself if he had even a eaglet on his side. However, because of that strength, nobeast in the advance scouting would trust it. For, it whip them all out easily if it wished, leading to interesting RP moments with in the horde.
I could talk about it more, but it would be to long for this shortish response.

But, what do you guys think? Is it a good idea, or do you just want me to shut up so that you can get back to RPing?

"Oh, dainty triolet! Oh, fragrant violet!
Oh, gentle heigho-let (or little sigh)
On sweet urbanity, though mere inanity, to touch their vanity we will rely!"
-Chorus. "P'raps If You Address The Lady Most Politely." By Gilbert&Sullivan. Princess Ida.

#20 2017-05-04 01:06:19 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Hmmm......

I think it'd be cool big_smile I have an NPC eagle that I use to kill of chars (or NPCs) that need murdering, but she wouldn't join in this horde.  Your idea is a really good one, Henry, and it could also involve my eagle and some other big NPC chars that other people play who live out in Mossflower woods.

I like it!!! big_smile

#21 2017-05-05 06:43:12 PM

Madison

As I say, I'm happy to be the mastermind of the vermin... but I would need a deputy or two as thank to time zones etc I wouldn't be ultra-active. tongue

#22 2017-05-06 08:47:08 AM

Henry the Poet

They come from the south right? So, how about the main horde is fighting in Loamhagde? Loamhagde is about a half a season march from Redwall. So it would make perfect senses that the main horde has not arrived yet. The advance scouts would have basically free reign because the horde is so far away.

I guess all that was kind of assumed anyway.

But, if they are fighting in Loamhagde, then the horde have more of a reason why they are not at Redwall then they have not gotten here yet. And, if there are in Loamhagde (which is to the southwest, not just south) it makes sense that they did not just walk straight up to Redwall, or fallow the west cost to Salamandestron. AND, thenthere's a reason for people to RP around the Great South Cliffs (I think the only other place that has less RPing is Sampetra (or anywhere on the western sea for that matter)).

Am I talking to much? I don't know, I guess I just like Loamhagde (which is wired, because I have not read Loamhagde).

Please, put them in Loamhagde.

-Chorus. "P'raps If You Address The Lady Most Politely." By Gilbert&Sullivan. Princess Ida.

#23 2017-05-06 09:04:08 AM

Henry the Poet

Also, how did they cross the Great South Stream?

#24 2017-05-08 10:37:22 AM

Leon

Playing a vermin is fun sometimes

I play

#25 2017-05-25 04:43:02 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

TPs are best when they bring RP to an area where there are already characters; I've seen TPs take place in areas of the MUCK that have zero characters on, and after the TP is over, activity lasts a few months and then.....vanishes.  Poof sad  I'm not sure why.  It's kind of sad.  In my 5 years of RPing on here, I can't recall a time when the opposite was true.  I'm surprised that some people are still RPing in the Salamandastron area, honestly.  So it's better to have the TPs in places where there is already activity (such as Mossflower and the Western Shore), unless you anticipate, expect, and are okay with all the activity that the TP leaves behind slowly going away and vanishing.  Sorry, Henry.  Your ideas are really, really good otherwise big_smile  Maybe we should have an expedition to Loamhedge for something in the future smile  I'm not sure what we'd be searching for, but we could some up with something.  If that strikes your fancy, set up another forums post and we'll see how many people we get interested in it wink

Board footer