Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-28 11:24:09 AM

oz

New Champion Of Redwall(Yes Otter approved..read on)

Talk of a new champion has been discussed and so Otter has made a decision, yes THE OTTER....a shared NPC will be made very soon.

From Otter himself:
There are other players who have basically said "OK" and are playing
their own champion.

Every time someone "takes the mantle" (with the exception of Flicktail)
they cease playing. This is why I made the Abbot an NPC that could be
controlled by others.

Likewise, anytime you or your friends want a champion, feel free to
spoof one or make a zombie or even a shared alt.

Just remember: different groups of friends will not necessarily be
consistent in their play and that's OK -- it's play.

Keep the Light,
Otter

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

He also came onto the muck and chatted. SO a shared Char will be made for Champion, that others can also log in and play as....There have been other shared Characters like this also.

This will fit in with the recent Marek's Fate  TP

Also there was this:
I would add that any group that wants to RP their own champion is free
to do so...

Some groups play in independent RPs using the same areas. It can be
confusing, but ... it's a shared space. However, to avoid the "it's a
prize!" problem (we have "the power") it's best if each group not try
to restrict the champion to some subset of players.

Cliques are terrible things; let's not add them to the MU and enforce
them.

Thanks, and Keep the Light,
Otter

;;;;;;;;;;;;;

When asked...yes there is ONE and alwats will be ONE Redwall Abbey Champion, but some others can help him/her....out in times of need.

It was discussed the Champion will likely be Female and to go along with the books and keeping cannon...a woodlander species. ( So like vole, hare, sea otter, otter, mouse, rabbit, squirrel, badger(dont think this one as badgers were rare so we should keep it as such..sides there is a bagder Lord smile...hamster, hedgehog,mole(though thier speech is crazy hard to do)...shrew, Pygmy shrew )

Ok thats all....so whom will Martin send to hellp Redwall in its time of Need..who has Martin spoken too!!!

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#2 2018-06-28 11:43:09 AM

warrior_Otter_maid

Re: New Champion Of Redwall(Yes Otter approved..read on)

Girl Power......
sorry but seriously alright! A new champion will be cool. Maybe an otter or like a hare and you forgot Beaver as a woodlander species.

An otter be nice and as for name, maybe one meaning warrior, champion, or like victory or leader?

#3 2018-06-28 12:43:00 PM

Karth Riverbark

I don't think there has been a female champion but either way Yes There does need to be one around for role play. I have wandered ICLY and OOCLY where the Redwall champion was as he/she is in the books and is a main important part of the Redwall world and yes keep it cannon..a woodlander champion would be best.

My spoofs:Atvi...and Alts=
Ewan Benjamin Delaney Tanner Mosswell Jahveri- LP Hare Fighter/Private and Residential Redwall Abbey Hare
Dearil-Archer/Fighter/Assassin in Blackrose

#4 2018-06-28 01:09:04 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

(If anyone has any problems with this post or with the subsequent RPs, please email Otter at brianj@otterspace.com and talk to him about it.  And he said that if anyone has a problem with it, to send them his way, so you can pass that message on to anyone who throws a fit about it.  And if they won't email him but continue to be mad about this, please email him yourself; you don't have to put up with that kind of crap.)

I also emailed Otter about it, and as Oz said above, he suggested that we make a shared Champion.  This character would carry the Sword of Martin, and be shared as among us.  She would be able to be RPed by basically anyone (although it would be good to not have her in multiple different places at the same time ICly wink ).  To paraphrase: Otter thinks it'd be best if we made up a new Champion, and welcome others to play along with us....but also allow them to not, if they don't like it.  This will help everyone not see becoming Champion as a prize to be battled for and won.  Because, unfortunately, many people fight over the "important" positions (as if the regular characters aren't important) and then, once they "win" them, they leave the website they had attained an important role on and leave everyone else hanging.

Oz has covered this whole thing in the original post in a wonderfully clear way, and what Otter and I discussed is basically the same thing, so I sha'n't talk too much more about this.  Otter approves of us making a new (and shared, like Ciocan and Benar) Champion character, and working together as a collaborative group to develop her personality, backstory, and other such things.  The upcoming TP we are working on will be the perfect opportunity to introduce her and bring her to the place where she can become Champion. 

I would like her to be a brand-new character that we all come to an agreement on.  No picking a currently existing character, please!  wink

I agree that an otter or a hare would be coolest.  As for names, I like using Hawaiian names for new characters when I'm RPing IRL.  So here:
http://www.momjunction.com/baby-names/hawaiian/girl/
http://www.babynames.net/girl/hawaiian
are 2 lists of female and unisex Hawaiian names to look through.  We don't have to use any of them; these are merely suggestions for us to look through, if y'all would like to smile

But what would be her backstory?  I think having her be single forever might be a good idea, and/or have her be a widower with no children, and no living family members.  This will help keep anyone from making a character who will rely upon this character as a family member would, so that way in 5 or whatever years, if we decide to scrap her and make another collaborative Champion, we won't have the drama of "But my char is married to the Champion!" or whatever.  This will also make it easier to say she leaves for some IC reason and we then replace her with another collaborative character, if we decide to do that at any point in time.  (Did I just say that?  I tend to repeat myself, sorry.)

What would she look like?  What would be her opinion on vermin?  Would she like pie?  We could work out little quirks about her in RPs.

What do you guys think?  I want to hear from you! big_smile  This is to be a collaborative effort, so if you RP on the MUCK, I wanna hear from you!  And even if you don't have an account on this website, that's okay!  Page #mail me as DoraRose if you don't have an account.  Pmail me your thoughts, opinions (even if you don't like this idea!), ideas, questions, and so on, and I will copy-paste them straight onto here as a comment; I won't correct any typos or anything!  But I want to hear from you, and have it where everyone can see your thoughts and continue the discussion.  This is a collaborative effort on the part of us who RP here on the MUCK; what you have to say matters smile

(On a not-really-related note, I'm hoping to start RPing on the Western Shores again, but I appear to be the only one who really keeps their character active over there.  If any of you have wanted to make a Long Patrol hare or even a non-LP character, or have made one and would like to RP as them, let me know in a pmail to my char Felicity (not on a comment on here, please) and we can hopefully work it out.  I am one of the people who has Ciocan's password, so I can spoof him and RP as him as needed smile  I mean, what's the point of having a character if you don't RP with them and figure out their personality?)

#5 2018-06-28 01:16:47 PM

Karth Riverbark

Well an otter maybe.....and she don't need family. What brought her here...strange dreams of this armored mouse, he said find Redwall and hep them. Maybe she didnt lsiten right away and finally did.

And your tight no one should be an important character and then just not be on anymore, that's not fair at all. Pie...heck she likes pie and cake, why not:P. She likes those firefly bugs also but she knows when  to be serious.

My idea:
She neber married, never had kids then...her mother and father are dead and she was an only child.....there. Maybe her holt, if an otter, was destoryed in a storm and all family members died so...she left.

On the LP.....sure I will make a hare character smile.

Ewan Benjamin Delaney Tanner Mosswell Jahveri- LP Hare Fighter/Private and Residential Redwall Abbey Hare

#6 2018-06-28 02:02:41 PM

Ol'random
Website

Thoughts on backstory: why not have just a simple life? Like, maybe they were a dibbun at the Abbey then went to Camp Williow - and become a really good fighter there- but like don't have everyone related to them dead? And if they have family alive - it can add more RP options. (And it gives someone an excuse to add more old creatures (and if the champion is an otter, I don't think I've ever really seen an older otter on here) with their own quirks... Heck, we could use some of their family to fill in more roles around the abbey. For instance, perhaps she has a brother who is also just a brother at the abbey. Or a sister who is just a sister. Oh! maybe her parents are the abbey gardeners or groundkeepers?

My main point is don't give them a tragic backstory just because they need a reason to be champion. If you want them to be tragic, RP it. Have it happen in a TP or something! Or perhaps have the character show up first not as a champion but just an otter and then have a TP where it ends with her as champion- it will take longer, yes, but it would include far more people in the long run and make the character far more connected to the abbey than just having someone writing it up by themselves and the champion just being the champion.

Last edited by Ol'random (2018-06-28 02:07:06 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#7 2018-06-28 02:18:43 PM

Karth Riverbark

well in the books a lot of time a beast was not related to anyone when they showed up. They were led, as most champions, to the abbey by Marten and Otter said go ahead and use this TP to introduce her.

Maybe family is alive but like far off elsewhere, and was an only child.

The champion dont' need family at the abbey. Maybe a couple friends could show up. But yeah as Dorarose said...no family that is anywhere close and , here is an idea..she decided to be a wanderer and then led by Martin the Warrior to go further and..oh there is the Abbey

#8 2018-06-28 02:23:04 PM

oz

True, we don't need tragic backstory but also it is true. A Champion didnt always come from the abbey.

Maybe, just maybe she was a dibbun and when she was very very young the family left to live on the sea coast and having dreams while exploring the world once she was older she ventured back as it was the famed Martin the Warrior from Redwall Abbey.

An idea...she could of been born in the abbey and after a few days Mother and Father and her left, still an only child and she could have friends that followed her maybe.

Looks like a female otter so far and the discussion is going well.

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol

#9 2018-06-28 03:08:43 PM

Ol'random
Website

Having a TP or something for the new champion would be best - and we don't necessarily need her yet (and in the books there'd be seasons between champions generally) and again, a TP would help cement them as a character on here, and would be more organic than just having them appear. I also do have someone who could function as a villain if need be around Ferravale...

On a related note I mentioned earlier, I suppose we don't need family at the abbey - but we do need more abbey beasts; brothers, sisters, etc... More everyman beasts, y'know? People who aren't warriors and stuff and just regular people...

#10 2018-06-28 03:20:30 PM

Elmef

This was a suggestion i was going to raise myself

Especially with a big TP on the way, so it'd be nice to have the actual Champion be involved so a shared Champion would be great
it works brilliantly with the abbot

It'd be nice if they where a Mouse, that'd be properly Redwall and we haven't had a Mouse as champion in forever.

Last edited by Elmef (2018-06-28 03:22:57 PM)

#11 2018-06-28 03:26:03 PM

oz

Ohhh.....mouse maid.

As for beasts around the abbey doing normal stuff, there is a lot of NPCs and people are welcome to make a char and say they are a gardener....there is a mole..Ping think, who wants to be an abbey healer. Novices and sisters,brothers are around too...I spoof novices and order beast sometimes like Sister Ginny is a hedgehog that helps Oz with the dibbuns sometimes.

I play:

#12 2018-06-28 03:33:08 PM

warrior_Otter_maid

I vote Mouse Maid too....That be cool. She could be all tougher than she looks sort of thing and still have no family close by,  still could of been born and mom-dad left few days later cause...well they are wanderers and she...well wanders back cause Martin was like...go back to your place of birth.

#13 2018-06-28 03:37:06 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Actually, we've been having people asking OOcly and ICly about where the Champion is, so the sooner we get this character off the ground the better.  And she would not just appear as the Champion one day, but would come as a wandering Warrior (or as a named guard, if y'all would rather that happen) and by the end of this TP have earned the spot to be Champion, having proved herself as an able fighter who is kind, compassionate, wiling to compromise and make decisions with a group, and is being led by Martin the Warrior.  This upcoming Tp is the opportunity to cement her as a character, and since this TP is going to last for a couple of months, we would have time to develop and know her. 

For the family thing....I'm just wanting players to not have the feeling of power that having a character that is attached to the Champion would bring.  'Cause even being married to or the parent/sibling/child/fill-in-the-blank-relative of the Champion is sort of a position of power.  And could basically be a disaster.

So, yeah.  That's my thoughts behind it.  Sorry if I'm coming across heavy-handed.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter, everyone!  Just no fights or bickering and it should all be okay smile

(I typed this before I saw Benar's post.)

EDIT (after reading y'all's posts):  I was thinking it'd be good to have a character who would not be easily mixed up with current player characters, which is why I voted hare.  But a mouse would be okay.  I want this to be something we all agree on.  I can make compromises smile

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2018-06-28 03:39:13 PM)

#14 2018-06-28 03:59:44 PM

Karth Riverbark

Mouse Maid....now a good name?

#15 2018-06-28 04:02:40 PM

Wanderer

I completely support the plan of removing the Champion from the position of being tied to just one player.  Makes events a lot easier, and generally makes things feel more...I don't know...organized.  And we don't have to rely on one player who may or may not be around when needed.  And if it's good enough for Otter and the other fine beasts supporting the idea...well, I'd say it's good enough for me.
Also:

BlisaMarshmellow wrote:

For the family thing....I'm just wanting players to not have the feeling of power that having a character that is attached to the Champion would bring.  'Cause even being married to or the parent/sibling/child/fill-in-the-blank-relative of the Champion is sort of a position of power.  And could basically be a disaster.

This is super important.  I can see a case for *maybe* allowing it on a case by case basis if ABSOLUTELY necessary at Otter's discretion.  But honestly it'd be best to not even open that can of worms in my opinion. The Champion stands alone.

Now, as for the Champion herself:

I'd suggest a hedgehog.  Mostly because I don't see hedgehogs used on the MUCK much, nor do they (with the exception of Tansy) ever really seem to take center stage in the books.  It's also be a nice way of playing with the idea of hedgehogs not being warlike or particularly heroic, or just plain being main character material at all.  I just think it would be cool/fun, too, to see a species used in a way they aren't usually. (Remember the Warrior Mole in Sable Quean? That was *awesome*. At least I thought it was.)

As for a backstory, I'll leave that to less scatterbrained and wiser heads than mine.  But for a name? I'd suggest something woodlander-ish.  Whether or not she's going to have an ordinary woodlander life wink  But also a name that hints at hidden strength.  Maybe a surname like Ironbark or Stoneflower or something.  And for a first name I'd suggest...

Matilda.  If I recall correctly, it translates to "Warrior." And a warrior is what this (insert species here) is gonna be.

I'd say before any decisions are made/characters created, however, we should wait maybe a week or two for other players to give input. That way we don't have people upset later because they didn't get a chance to give input.  And, y'know, it'd be fair.

Wouldn't it be nice to take a walk on/some pure white sand/gaze at the horizon/without living in fear?
Wouldn't it be sweet to watch the sun curve down,/meet the waves?
And taste the ocean spray/and realize we'd been living as slaves...

#16 2018-06-28 04:17:40 PM

Elmef

A hedgehog would be fantastic
And heroic Hedgehogs are a thing! Durry Quill was the best hedgehog in Mariel of Redwall

A shrew could be quite fun too, short, tough, spunky ex-GOUSIM shrew would be great fun

I'd say not an otter, as lovely as otters are we are awash with warrior otter types

#17 2018-06-28 04:53:24 PM

oz

Hmms...maybe Hedgehog would be cool...and different. Vermin with quills in a paw if get too close!

I play:

#18 2018-06-28 04:54:12 PM

The_Brony_Marek

I don't know if there has been a female champion in the books, but there has been a female champion in the past on the muck. Violet was female, so I don't see any problem with another one.

I like the traditional idea of a mousemaid, but what some rarely used animal like a Rabbit or a Vole?

#19 2018-06-28 05:02:50 PM

warrior_Otter_maid

Female.....and Hedgehog be cool maybe. Has a mousemaid friend?..oh! maybe her parents did die and a nice mouse couple adopted her!!!!!!....sorry yeah a spike warrior maid with Martin's Blade stabbing vermin. She likes pie..not so much cake, cake is stupid....in her words and she loves spicy food!

Oh yeah...this is getting good!

#20 2018-06-28 05:13:16 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I forgot to pmail this to the players who don't have accounts on the forums, so could y'all please do that for me?

I agree with Wanderer about waiting at least another week before we make a firm decision about the Champion.  So please try to come to an agreement; this is not y'all giving Oz and me input and then we deciding.  I want this to be a true collaboration, so please provide the strengths and weaknesses of your choices so we can some to an agreement.

I suggested hare because there's only been like 1 hare Champion in the entire history of Redwall (see The Sable Quean).  I would also go along with a rabbit, but I think shrews would be a bit too short (they're described as being head-and-shoulders shorter than mice, and size needs to be a consideration).  A vole....maybe.  How big are real voles in comparison to mice?  I shall try to remember to look it up in my mammals encyclopedia (yes, I have one and read in it; I'm a nerd, LET ME LIVE) and see.  But a less-used species or a species that rarely has a Warrior-like job would be cool because it would add variety and a change. 

Matilda would be easier to spell than my Hawaiian suggestion xD

Keep posting your thoughts! big_smile  So far our only agreement has been that this Champion is a female woodland species.  Keep it comin' smile (And the pie thing was mostly me trying to be funny, not totally serious.  But I am enjoying the discussion about it xD)

#21 2018-06-28 05:35:17 PM

warrior_Otter_maid

Lets do this...final votes

Female Hedgehog

#22 2018-06-28 05:37:22 PM

oz

Hedgehog

Female

so 2 for Hedgehog

I play:

#23 2018-06-28 06:10:31 PM

Karth Riverbark

Hedgehog be cool....a female hedgehog warrior

Benar liked hedgehog idea and wanderer did...

Does that mean....5 for female hedgehog warrior?

#24 2018-06-28 07:10:54 PM

Ol'random
Website

Really, we should wait a bit before voting...
To the point about family: yeah, I handn't really thought of that. Makes sense - I've seen stuff like that happen before in other groups, I don't know, guess I just wasn't really thinking.

Also, there has been one or two female champions in the books, I think.
As for a hedgehog, I suppose that's good - to be frank not only have we not seen them much in the books, but I don't think I've seen them on the MUCk, either!

#25 2018-06-28 07:43:22 PM

oz

Most likely....looks like Female Hedgehog...will be most likely made by 3nd or 4th.

A couple on muck spoken too also on this.

Tassel and Anatole said Hedgehog was cool and yeah a female

Ferro said a champion is needed also...and says Hedgehog as well....and that a female would be a change of pace.

I do agree as only seen one other hedgehog and  he left muck and that was Ace, He had wanted to kill off his character but after some chating decided Ace was sold instead.

Other than that no other hedgehogs around...go hedgehogs?

I play:

Board footer