Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-16 03:26:14 PM

The_Brony_Marek

A Nice Talk..Sort Of...In The Tavern

Who:

Markalaway-Undertaker of Ferravale

Vojin-Head Guard of Ferravale

Atticus- A visiting Ferravale

Log:

FV:Tavern
Outside a sign swings on a rusty creaking frame above the doorway of the tavern depicting a faded painting of what appears to be three rather rich looking skeletons slumped over a table around a black chalice, perhaps such a thing could be taken as a warning but it doesn't appear to work on the locals. The noise within on a normal day is usually heard before the door is even opened and only rises in volume when one actually steps inside.
There are the typical qualities of a tavern within, from the bar to the chairs and booths and the odd drunk who never seems to move it's the little details which encourage a patron to pay his tab if he likes his fingers. One look at some of the staff or customers might give the impression but the room is decorated to the fiercer tastes with bones, mostly skulls cropping up here and there to fill a gap on a shelf or decorating the walls above the doorways, fireplace and bar, a pair of axes joining the one over the fire with some signs that they've been yanked off to join in a fight a couple of times. Some of the comfier chairs are lined with fur and very rarely one might be found with a few pointed bits of bone to decorate the back. Despite the looks there is entertainment and fun to be had, some form of music usually played on a small stage in the corner and at least one bouncer usually tries to keep the peace while beasts gamble, drink and be merry.
A small door behind the bar leads out the back to the kitchen and cellars while one wall has been opened up in a wide arch to increase the space off into the next room where what seems to be a wooden fence with gates on either end has been set up as a fighting pit as further entertainment and something to bet over.
Markalaway is in his corner of the tavern, sipping his ale quietly, no one sits by the rat as the two tables on either side of him have no beasts at them at all.

"Eh, what mate?" A ferret mutters, his snout buried in a mug of mead, "Whats up now?" He sets down his mug, looking at what his drinking buddies had reacted to - the rather intimidating rat sitting by himself. "Ohhh. Ooooooh." Atticus says, then downs his drink. "Come on now - y'lot can' not really be scared by a rat, can ya?" He ask the tavern at large. "Somebeast get him a drink!" He adds, with a paw pointing to Markalaway.

Markalaway looks over, it's clear no one wants to go near him, as he finishes a drink he has and just watches beasts nearby him.

Atticus lowers his paw, seeing no one going over to the rat. "Oh, come on now, tha's just rude!" The ferret turns back to the bar. "I'll do it myself then! One dri- Two drinks, for me and 'im." He tosses his head back towards Markalaway. After a moment, drinks in paw, Atticus turns back and makes his way over - stumbling a bit, but catching himself as he does it. "Hullo there, mate!" He says, rather jovially, "'Ow are y'this fine day...?"

Markalaway just looks the ferret up and down before he speaks "I...live" He says simple and plain, he looks to the drinks but he did watch them be poured from where he was and knows who poured them so he trusts the drink, its unclear if he trusts the ferret yet or not.

"Well, isn' that great!" Atticus says, laughing, "I suppose we all live, eh mate?" Here he sets one of the mug down, sitting opposite Markalaway as he does so. He pushes the mug towards the rat. "Here - mead, methinks." He takes a long draft of his on mug, nodding. "Aye! Mead! Some o' th' best!" He smiles, looking a bit red in the cheeks. "So, uhh, what d'ya do 'round here? Can' say I know - new to this place, y'know?"

Markalaway says, "Work in the Graveyard......live in the Graveyard" He says as he sniffs the drink, a small taste before he decides it's fine to drink."Markalaway"

"Markalaway, is it?" The ferret says, "Atticus is my own." Tilting his head to one side, Atticus asks, after a moment or so, "So y'uh, y'deal with the dead...?" The question was said in a far quieter tone than anything else the ferret's said today.

Markalaway nods slowly, what it is his main job and just his looks may be why fear go near him.

Atticus says, "I see..." He laughs again- though it seems nervous now. "Saying y'live is bit funnier now, eh?" He downs his mead, slamming the mug on the table. "Bit morbid, aye, but, uh, funny..."

Markalaway just sips his ale and doesn't speak for a long while, it's clear he doesn't talk very much "Some...beast has to"He says in a deep voice.

Atticus smiles again - but like the laugh, there is a tinge of nervousness to it. "Of course! An' thank y'for it!" He looks around the room, seeing all the other beasts still giving the table a wide berth. "Suppose y'have any hobbies or anything like, mate?" He asks. The ferret seems like he is genuinely trying to be cordial - or at least pleasant to the undertaker.

Markalaway says, "Keep Graveyard...safe and in order."He sips his ale " When needed....keep friends ...safe"

Swallowing, Atticus nods. "Suppose the' counts." A pause. "I guess y'could I've had the same hobby of-" he gestures vaguely with his right paw, "Keeping friends safe, y'know?"

Vojin walks into the tavern, first seeing who is here, speaking with a couple guards and then getting some water as he is still on duty after all.

Markalaway nods, he looks over at Vojin as he enters and then drinks some ale.

Atticus looks as well, but waves to the wildcat. "Hullo there!" He calls, "Why n'grab a drink an' join m'an' this here Markalaway, mate?" Both ferret and rat are still alone in the corner. "Y' happen to know him?" Atticus asks Markalway with a small nod to Vojin, "Because, I uh, don'..."

Vojin walks over and simplely nods to the rat and studies the Ferret "Your new to town. I am Vojin, Head Guard here at Ferravle and you are?" He will wait on a reply and stay standing by the table.

Markalaway frowns as more beasts walk over and sips the last little bit of his Mead quietly, he knows who beasts in town are and it seems the wildcat saved him the trouble of saying a name, to which he seems glad of.

"Atticus! Pleased to meet y'!" The ferret responds to the head guard, still sitting but facing the wildcat. "I am new! Jus' was telling m'mate Markalaway here that." He smiles. "Head guard, eh? Used to guard a traveling..." He pauses, seeming to rethink what he was about to say. "...Merchant, myself!" Another smile.

Vojin arches an eyebrow "Do not give me reason to distrust you sir. I do take making sure the town is safe and...well no power hungry beasts around anyways, a fight here and there happens and expected at times in a vermin village. But some beasts....say slavers are surely kicked out, politely at first of course"

Markalaway just listens, he keeps to himself most of the time but he will help defend the town again takeovers if they ever happen.

Atticus swallows again. "Well...I, uh..." He plays with his empty mug for a bit, then, finally, he looks right at the wildcat. "Good thing I accidentally - well, kind of m'fault - got th' slaver I worked for killed!" He looks down, shifting in his seat. "I jus' was hired t'protect him in some towns - loved betting a bit t'much and had a lo' of debt, y'know?" The ferret gives another nervous smile, accompanied by a shrug. "Really bad a t paying debts back - an', well, y'know..." He laughs, but again it is nervous.

Vojin narrows his eyes "It may be wise to find a better job then, no body guards to slavers...or anyone who works for one as slavers are one thing frowned upon here"

Markalaway just stays quiet, but he is listening even if it doesn't look like it. He also knows what the ferret looks like in case its needed to know later. He slowly stands to get some ale, a few beasts give him a very good clear path.

"Good thing I was jus' looking fo' a job, eh?" Atticus' voice is at a distinctly higher pitch than normal, and it's clear he regrets ever opening his mouth. "Sorry t'say I'd make a poor guard for here -"
He decides finally to just settle with staring at his empty mug and not look at any beast, "- Got m' las employer killed! A, uh, season ago! An' he was the' slaver. He got in debt too! But to th', uh, wrong beasts, y'know!" The ferret clearly does not want to be in the conversation any more.

Vojin says, "Well....I be careful where you say Slaver at and there is jobs open, you may have to ask the chieftain or the tavern owner maybe."

Markalaway soon returns with some ale and sits down quietly, he looks up at the door once or twice

Atticus exclaims, "Right! Noted!" The ferret looks up as the rat sits back down, then turns towards Vojin once again. "You're th' one who said th' word first, mate - An' I'm done with all that, y'know? Bunch of cut-throat thief, them lot of slavers are!"

Vojin nods "Yes...there may be a group around, lets hope your not a friend to them then, as for jobs...there is guards, tavern workers, maybe a healer...could always use a shop keeper or two. May be other jobs I don't know bout...those Mossflower Defenders are looking for beasts ta join, but I am not in charge of them, and their base is outside town, not in here and they for sure do not like slavers"

Markalaway stands "I...need to check on someone....they were to report back and have not yet, Knowing Patch.....he is not doing what he was told" He then walks out without another word, and yes he gets a very wide clear path to the door and once he is gone the tavern is a lot less tense and on edge.

"Y'know, I'd like t'avoid fights now." Atticus seems to have calmed a bit as he says it. "An', uh, bye, Markalaway!" He waves as the undertaker leaves. Glancing at Vojin once again, he asks, "Say, do y'find him as, well, /creepy/ as every one else seems to...?" It's clear his trying to change the subject.

Vojin sits and at first is just quiet till finally " Yes he does...creep beasts out. But he is...mostly harmless"

Markalway meanwhile heads back to his hut....at the end of the path on the other side of the graveyard that one has no choice, they have to go through it to even get to his hut.

Board footer