Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-07 04:42:46 PM

The_Brony_Marek

From the Dust Part 1: A Storm Approaches

Whom:
Marek-Ferravale Tavern Owner and Ferravale Ambassador

Patch-Spy,Tavern Worker. Annoying rat

Nightbreath-Seer of ferravale

Shadowy Figure-Unknown

Spoofed tavern beasts

FV:Tavern
Outside a sign swings on a rusty creaking frame above the doorway of the tavern depicting a faded painting of what appears to be three rather rich looking skeletons slumped over a table around a black chalice, perhaps such a thing could be taken as a warning but it doesn't appear to work on the locals. The noise within on a normal day is usually heard before the door is even opened and only rises in volume when one actually steps inside.
There are the typical qualities of a tavern within, from the bar to the chairs and booths and the odd drunk who never seems to move it's the little details which encourage a patron to pay his tab if he likes his fingers. One look at some of the staff or customers might give the impression but the room is decorated to the fiercer tastes with bones, mostly skulls cropping up here and there to fill a gap on a shelf or decorating the walls above the doorways, fireplace and bar, a pair of axes joining the one over the fire with some signs that they've been yanked off to join in a fight a couple of times. Some of the comfier chairs are lined with fur and very rarely one might be found with a few pointed bits of bone to decorate the back. Despite the looks there is entertainment and fun to be had, some form of music usually played on a small stage in the corner and at least one bouncer usually tries to keep the peace while beasts gamble, drink and be merry.
A small door behind the bar leads out the back to the kitchen and cellars while one wall has been opened up in a wide arch to increase the space off into the next room where what seems to be a wooden fence with gates on either end has been set up as a fighting pit as further entertainment and something to bet over.

It's a normal day at the Ferravale Tavern, vermin are drinking to their hearts content, a group of weasels are playing some sort of card game with Patch, a pair of foxes are dueling in the fighting pit and Marek is behind the counter washing dishes. Nothing seems out of the ordinary, but every day starts off like this, even the days that are hiding something truly sinister.

At the end of the counter sits NighTbreath. The Seer sips water and murmurs to himself as he rolls a pair of strange, symbol-etched dice, carved from some creature's bones, again and again.

Marek continues washing dishes behind the counter, a sponge attached to the new bronze brace at the end of his paw. This brace is clearly new as it still shines with the luster of something freshly forged. He notices Nightbreath and removes the sponge attachment before walking over to Nightbreath, placing his bronze paw on the counter. "Mr. Nightbreath, it is not often I see you here. To what do we owe this unexpected visit?" He gestures to Patch to take over his cleaning duties which leaves the weasels in the rogue's game quite pleased with the result. "Patch, you shall take over from here. I have a feeling that Mr. Nightbreath's presence is something that requires my immediate attention".

The gleam of metal draws Nightbreath's gaze from the dice over to Marek's newly forged paw. "Ah. Marek. At first I thought I was coming here to get a breath of..." He wrinkles his nose, realizing that 'fresh' isn't the right term for the air in the tavern. "...different air. But then I found, as ever, the stars have guided me here for a reason. Just what that reason is..." He gestures to the dice. "Well, l'm figuring that out. But fate is heavy in the wind today. Something approaches."

Marek raises an eyebrow. "I see" Rubbing his chin with his good paw, Marek decides it best to sit down. "I have known you long enough to know that your predictions have a habit of coming true, Mr. Nightbreath. If it is a storm you suggest than it is a storm we shall get. I only hope that we can figure out the details before this storm engulfs us further".

Patch listens carefully as he begins washing dishes. After all, information is his trade and if the future of Mossflower is at stake he could use that to his advantage.

Nightbreath nods slowly. He glances again to Marek's metal paw, but declines to comment for the moment. "So far, I have managed to figure out this much: It will come from where none expect it, and it will shake Mossflower to its roots." His eyes seem to go out of focus for a moment. "A shadow returns from where it was thought buried long ago. It rises from the dust even now, paws outstretched to grasp the future and force its will upon our world. This cannot come to pass. We must defy it..." His eyes clear again and he finishes in a whisper. "Or we are all lost."

Marek nods, appearing visibly shaken by Nightbreath's words. "That is very troublesome, Mr. Nightbreath. Mossflower has many enemies that could return for vengeance and any number of them could cause serious damage. I shall have to inform Mr. Xander to being recruiting more numbers. Mossflower allies have somewhat dwindled in number over the past few seasons and the Long Patrol may be too far away to be of immediate help". He pours both him and Nightbreath a drink.

Patch listens best he can and almost drops a mug, he juggles it and sighs in relief, that was close and then he is back to washing dishes.

Nightbreath seizes his glass firmly and holds it up for a moment, clinking it against Marek's. "Against death," He intones, and drinks deeply. "It's a troublesome spot in which we find ourselves, Marek. Peace has returned, but there is an undercurrent of tension. We find ourselves with few friends, as you say. We'll need every blade we can get if what I have foreseen indeed comes to pass."

Marek nods firmly as he drinks. "Against Death" He looks down in thought. "I dread the wording of your visions, Mr. Nightbreath. While I don't have your spiritual connections, I've had a strange feeling myself. I-I've never told you this, Mr. Nightbreath but..." He sighs and he cuts himself off. "Ms. DoraRose will be arriving soon to have a discussion with me that I have been meaning to have. My own past has weighed on me greatly, Mr. Nightbreath. Perhaps it would be wise for you to also remain for this conversation. I have secrets that....secrets that must no longer remain in the darkness, and if It was my past that would come to haunt me then I truly fear what my come to pass"

"Aye. I will do as you ask." The Seer locks eyes with Marek, attempting to look reassuring. "Take heart. Sometimes visions can prove false. Sometimes the hourglass turns and things do not come to pass. But it's best to be ready. Because when such things _do_ emerge from the darkness, it will take great power to even attempt to banish them once more."

Marek listens intently to Nightbreath before returning to his drink. "Sage advice, Mr. Nightbreath. Advice that I will take to heart" He finishes his drink in abnormally quick fashion before looking towards the strange dice in Nightbreath's possession. "We shall wait for Ms. DoraRose to arrive, in the meantime perhaps you could explain these peculiar dice to me. They seem rather interesting"

"They're crude things really," Nightbreath says, running a paw over the etched designs in one. "Rudimentary tools to aid a Seer in their craft. The symbols etched in each of the ten faces of each die can have various meanings depending on the interpreter's intent." He smiles slightly. "They also are useful as a focusing tool during meditation."

Patch finishes doing dishes and starts to put them away, he sighs when he has to get a rather drunk weasel another ale, but hey more coins and he is honest and places them where they are supposed to go.

Marek nods. "I see, yes focus is important to the art of mediation. It helps those who seek to find inner peace after losing their own, I pain I know far too greatly". Reattaching the sponge to his bronze paw he begins cleaning the counter, glaring at a vole who managed to break her plate of food at the other end of the counter, Marek takes cleaning very seriously.

Nightbreath smiles in agreement. "Focus is critical. But also a _lack_ of focus on any particular thing. One must simply _be_, and drown out all distractions, while not chasing any particular thought. That's what the dice are for--a focal point to return to if any thought drifts across and threatens to break the trance."

Before Nightbreath says anything else, he tenses. He reaches carefully to his side with one paw, under the counter, gripping a dagger held there. "Something is here. Something comes. I can't see which one it is..." He murmurs under his breath. A shadowy figure across the tavern locks eyes with Marek briefly from under his hood. Then the huddle of tavern goers shifts, obscuring the stranger from sight. "Be on guard, Marek," Nightbreath whispers. "It is close."

Patch watches the hooded figure, ok what is with the shadowy look as he frowns and mutters and the rat  edges closer to Marek "I have no clue who that is and already dislike em'"

Marek suddenly seems to go cold and still when he hearts Nightbreath's words. While the figures escapes his vision, Marek's eyes betray a fear he has not felt in a very long time. "Th-that's Impossible. It couldn't be...?" He turns towards Patch. "Mr. Patch, we have a guest arriving shortly, if you have a weapon at hand please have it ready. Whatever approaches cannot be allowed to be allowed to harm Mrs. DoraRose"

Nightbreath's eyes gleam in the dim light of the tavern, and he tightens his grip on the hidden dagger--the blade that once took the life of a slaver badger not far from here. He seems, for once, paralyzed by indecision. /This is a crossroads of beginnings and endings. We could cut the thread here, and avert what is to come. But it is too soon to tell...there is nothing to do but watch./ He clenches his jaw visibly, and removes his paw from the dagger's hilt. He can draw it swiftly if need be, but for now, he thinks, it would be better not to show his intentions too soon. He murmurs to himself. "I shall be as the thunderbolt from clear skies. Unseen, unexpected, and devastating."

#2 2018-05-08 12:05:58 PM

Karth Riverbark

Re: From the Dust Part 1: A Storm Approaches

Love the Title of the log

My spoofs:Atvi...and Alts=
Ewan Benjamin Delaney Tanner Mosswell Jahveri- LP Hare Fighter/Private and Residential Redwall Abbey Hare
Dearil-Archer/Fighter/Assassin in Blackrose

#3 2018-05-10 01:21:32 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: From the Dust Part 1: A Storm Approaches

Ooooohh, the suspense!  The tension!  THE DRAMA!  It's an edge-of-your-seat story ,folks, and it's only just begun!!!

I love how Patch added some comic relief.  It's great xD

And the title has a Thorns of Steel vibe goin' on there.  Dunno if that was intentional or if it's just me.  And I live in Tornado Alley, so the storm reference added a layer of creepy coolness. big_smile

Am excited to see what comes next!

Board footer