Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-27 08:52:57 PM

Proud LP

A new Job,new home, and gold!

==I decided to just post this tonight dso enjoy===

WHO:

Kage-Assassin,Helaer,Poisoner and Fighter

Atticus- Ferret of a Band of Merchants

LOG:

The past coupl weeks at Ferravale have been sort of choas. First a group came to take away the chieftin in the early hours of the morning and set fire to her home and the now pile of rubble that used to be Town Hall. After this some villagers left to help find the cheiftain and some left out of fear and being unsure so they went to live elsewhere. Recently another fire happen, to the Mossflower Defenders old place. Kage sits on an old wooden box by the tavern,drinking an ale.The tavern looks fine, though a very small bit of the roof will need fixed.

Near the rubble a ferret wanders, stopping to take in the destruction. He seems surprised - while Atticus had heard the news it was the first time he had been able to visit the town since he'd come back to Mossflower. The small dock and landing up the river had fallen into disrepair along the rest of the town, and as Atticus kneeled down to grasp the ashen remains of a plank more beasts come after him.   
Atticus rises after a moment, tossing the burnt wood aside and slowly casts his eyes around the old town center looking for any signs of life.   

"Of course the tavern's still there," He mutters with the barest hint of disgust - an emotion that is replaced with something more pleasant as he spots Kage. "Hail!" He calls, raising his paw in a greeting as he strides over. "Do you, by chance, what happened here?"   

Kage takes a long drink of ale before he speaks "Choas..."He smiles some as if he loves the idea. He stands now" Lot of beasts left, chieftain got kidnapped."He looks at the tavern and smirks "The tavern is still here...thiugh"He chuckles some"No owner, he died"   

"Patch is dead?" Atticus can't help the surprise - and the hint of glee - when he hears that. But he collects himself. "No matter, though. You sure the chieftainess was kidnapped? Not slain?"   

Kage nods "Kidnapped, not sure by who or where they went.The rat overheard something he should not of, so he had to die. Now some I do belive of the villagers did go to find thier chieftain, some just left the town to live elsewhere. This village is basically nothing much now"

"No, it isn't." Atticus replies, his demeanour shifting. There's regret as he looks about the ruined place - and something else, weariness or fear - that is gone in a blink. "Tell me, friend," he turns back to the tavern, "When you speak of the rat hearing something, and his unfortunate death, you said he had to die. Why so?"

Kage replies "Simple, so he wouldn't warn the chieftain of what was to come."A cold smile"It needed to be a surprise and he almost ruined that, so death happen to him."He gets some dust off his pants as he looks around "Don't know all the details. I just know the rat needed gone, perment like."   

Atticus regards the cat for a long time before nodding, once. "Do you by chance recall who told you the rat needed removing?" The ferret's watching the larger beast carefully, searching for something in Kage's face.   

Kage is silent and decides to finish the last of his ale."I didn't ask a name..."He keeps a close eye on the ferret" I simplyly look for a job,get one...complete it and get my gold.Simple as that. I don't even know if I will stick around."   

"I see." Atticus looks at the ground, contemplating something. Finally he speaks again, meeting the wildcat's eyes. "I would never dare accuse you of anything unsavoury, friend, but you speak as if you at the least witnessed the late tavern-keeper's demise. Did you? And ere you fear repercussions, I can assure you I shan't weep for his passing and would be inclined to thank you, even, if I were a tad more hard hearted."   

Kage is careful with his words, he still does speak the truth when he replies "I did see him die.oddly no one really seemed to care except for a couple stoats, also at the same time beasts were a bit...well fearfull the town hall was burning down,the chieftains home as you can see was half way saved,course think some looters got to some vaualbles left behind in the chaos"   

"Vermin are vermin, naturally." Atticus says, "Now, to change topic. You earlier mentioned taking a job, and I happen to be in the business of offering workbeasts' wages. What is it you do exactly?"   

Kage looks intrested but also pays it safe."A job?" He is silent as he mulls it over,then " I am a healer, I know a good deal on poisons...."He seems to debate to add assassin so "And a very skilled fighter, mostly with darts or throwing kniefs."   

"Poisons you say?" Atticus doesn't have to feign surprise. "Yet a healer. Strange. Rarely have I met wildcat healers, Mr...? I am sorry, I did not catch your name."   

Kage replies "Kage and yes poisons and anidotes of some,now some are saddly without an andote or they have one but one needs it within a few meer mintues"   

Atticus offers a polite smile and bows his head. "I am Tarn, myself. Tell me, would you be willing to use your skills against those who'd endanger Mossflower? Or rather- would aid those who wish to hunt down the vermin who did, well," The ferret gestures around him, "This?"   

Kage tilts his head as he thinks on this "I am usure and by now they would be long gone,though I may know who set fire to that Defenders place...not that anyone was really there"

"Of course not," Atticus laughs, "Of course not. The defenders were a group that never did much good, from what I've heard. Yet arsonists loose in a land full of trees is a dangerous thing, aye? And let me be clear, Kage, I do not ask merely for your information, but your skills in healing - and in poison, if need be. The payment would more than likely be far more stable than anything a band of brigands could offer, and with it would come food and board, if you so wish."   

Kage says, "A place to stay might be good.I am a wanderer and go from place to place.But where, this village dosnt seem to be a spot to stay now"

"For now a camp across the river, near the stone bridge." Atticus replies promptly, "Though myself and some of my company have made ourselves at home in the Blackgull tavern on the road. Now, as for this place...." He looks around. "This village may yet be rebuilt. I had hoped to establish trade here with the lands downriver, but that has been difficult these past seasons. But now..."

Kage shrugs "Maybe, but with no chieftain whom may be alive and may be not alive...it's hard to say. Once a leader disappers or prehaps dies...those loyal seem to leave or even show if they really cared or not."

"Well, the chieftain is not here." The ferret shrugs himself. "And with you admitting yourself that those who took her are long since gone.... I fear that she shall not return." He lets a small smile tug at the corners of his mouth. "So where does that leave this place, and the beasts left behind?"   

Kage says, "No clue, as I said some are moving elsewhere. Maybe to the sea or think a couple went north, I for one avoid the north...go far enough ya freeze"

"Not all will leave, I think," Atticus says, "in fact, I do believe that if we can begin to hunt down those responsible some would be willing to stay, and help. You mention the sea - many of the creatures with me, who you would be working with, hail from there. I do not wish to see Mossflower decline even more."   

Kage says, "Maybe.Who ever it was they were only intrested in Ferravale, some other damage was done by some beasts whom got too much ale I think.""

"Do you recall what type of creature it was who hired you before?" Atticus suddenly asks, side eying the cat. "I need not a name, but if you recall anything, please, do share."   

Kage hmmms"A fox maybe. yes a fox I think why do you ask?"   

"I ask because, my good cat," Atticus responds with a tilt of his head, "I am under the impression that - with or without your knowledge- your former employer is at once guilty of three crimes - arson, kidnapping, and, of course, murder."   

Kage hmms"All those are likely so. the group that took the chieftain in all the choas did murdur a couple of her guards"

"And yet you recall nothing else save one of them being a fox," Atticus mutters, reaching into his coat, "Really."   

Kage keeps a close eye on the ferret, he lays a paw of his own close to his belt watching Atticus very closely now,he stays quiet,alrt and oddly calm.

Atticus pulls out a small coin purse, studying it in his paws. "I have coin here," he says, removing two gold pieces, "That I would offer for such details as names, or species, or why they hired you, or anything else you know, but," he sighs, replacing the purse in his jacket. "You don't recall anything, really. A pity, truly."   

Kage looks at the ferret,he does speak" I only know they clearly wanted the chieftain gone, and the fires at her home and town hall may of likely been a distraction. I was simple told..."He stops, trust or not trsut the ferret. Its true he was not part of the kidnapping group, they learned of his skills and offered some much needed cion that he took,then he played along to the choas and even helped heal a couple of the villagers of burns.   

"Well, the fact they wanted her gone is rather clear, isn't it?" There's a dry tone to Atticus' voice as he speaks, still holding the two coins in paw. He looks down at them, picking one up with his free paw and holds it up to his eye. "Here," he says, tossing the gold to the wildcat, "Perhaps that will ease your mind and sits your memory."   

Kage catches the gold coin and looks at it,then at the ferret "I know some more, not much more though...I do have other skills that are useful..to some anyways. They knew I had skills and seemed not to give up much in the way of...where they went to or why they just stayed long enough to take the chieftain. Only a few got away from some guards...heck the main one may be dead already but probally not"   

"I see," Atticus repeats, mulling over the words. "Now, what exactly did you do for them?"   

Kage smirks "I am also an assassin for hire." He seems proud of this. "As for knowing much of a reason or this place....I as I said wander from place to place,dont usually stay long in one place too long."   

"Ahh, now I understand." Atticus dips his head. "But how do I know you speak truly? For instance, you merely witnessed the late Patch's death, rather than committing it. How can I trust your word and know you are not some boastful fraud?"   

Kage narrows his eyes. He stays calm though as he is smart"What if I had killed the rat...few seemed to like him from what I seen. I think the stoats were the tavern's main...what you call it..guards? or something, they took him to the infirm but he was already dead "   

"What if you did?" Atticus smiles, "What if you did indeed. I already told of how I would not shed tears for him, but I like to know what one has done and is," he searches for the right words, "/Capable of/, ere I pay them."   

Kage chuckles some,he speaks as he pulls out a blow pipe.."Pison can work fast...something so tiny like a dart."He looked at the ferret,a grin"Did you know a group know as the Fitchaye use these also, some darts to kill and a rare few to knock one out. Course main weapoons could have poison but it's easier seen, also as I said or maybe I didn't...it was an hour or so before sunrise,it was still dark. The serch teams didnt leave right away to hunt down the kidnappers, also rummors of a snake is true..the chieftain had one, it's gone off with the serch teams."He shrugs "But as you said earlier, its very unlikely any of the beasts will come back, the kidnappers or the chieftain or the search teams."   

"Oh, trust me, I know the snake." Atticus nods, "She - the chief, Blisa was her name I recall - once threatened to feed me to it." He spits, repressing a shudder. "I had offered to help establish trade... but no matter." His attention is wholly back on the wildcat. "Did you kill Patch with one such, Fitcheye, did you say- one such Fitcheye blowpipe?"

Kage smirks "Not saying one of them had this.This one is mine. I learned of them..group of rats and weasels that wear bones and leaves, mud and dark type clothin'..use to be by the river, I think the last vermin horde scared them off deper into the woods.They are not a group to get near"   

"They sound much like a squirrel tribe I heard off." The ferret grunts. "Savage beasts both groups, no doubt - but you did not answer my question. Was your blowpipe, and the poisoned dart within, was that how Patch died?"   

Kage is quiet, alert again and takes a chance"Yes....I killed Patch, so when I said I witnessed his death,that was true as I watched him die"   

A slow, wolfish smile spreads across Atticus' face. "And the truth comes out, friend." He holds out his paw still holding the remaining coin, offering it to the wildcat. "Three things you must keep in mind before I agree to hire you- if you ever find yourself contemplating using such arts as poison darts against me, even if you succeed I can assure you would soon thereafter meet me in Hellsgates. Two: obviously, do not breath a word of you being an assassin to anyone save me. And three - you must be willing to go along with our ways, and our laws. All easy enough in exchange for safety, work, and pay, hmm?"   

Kage takes the coin as he listens"I keep secrets well enough. What rules would those be?"He asks."And I don't kill those I work for, unless they try to kill me then that's a different story."He grins"Goon also mntion...I don't think thar be anymore ...Mossflower Defenders, de only ones in that base were a squirrel, now dead and a Ferret that decided it be best to change sides he was on, he was smart I say"   

"Who was the ferret?" Atticus' words a bit sharper than they have been. "I dislike those who abandon their own, even if their own are doomed. Hmm." He gives a single mirthless chuckle, "Perhaps that one shall be the first creature you fell for me."   

He claps his paws. "Right then, the rules, now. You will certainly find out more once you come back with me to the main camp, but in brief: killing when you do not have to is frowned upon, and killing innocents even more so- often the punishment for that crime is to suffer twice over whatever they did. If you a have dispute in camp, do not start a brawl but rather bring it to one of the company captains, they will act as judge for you. Do not harm your fellows, etc... you understand. It does little good for a company of beasts to hate each other when greater threats exist."   

"Oh, and I would ask that you act the part of the healer, be friendly, lie, cheat if you have to - but do not be found out." Atticus adds.

Kage nods"Smokefur was his name. And if you wish I could find him, a small...accident maybe could befall the ferret"   

The smile broadens. "Yes," Atticus says, "Yes, I would like that. Smokefur the coward. One thing more- my companions, such those company captions I have mentioned, they will know who you are, of course."   

Kage nods, he listens and knows to be careful, even if he is likely safe,being watched though seems to slightly upset him,but it's understandable.   

"I will have a contract drafted soon for you to sign," Atticus continues, "And I would suggest reading it in full. It'll be sent back across the great sea for record keeping. Oh, and of course," Atticus' face brightens as eh holds out his paw to shake. "Welcome aboard the Band of Merchants, Kage."   

Kage nods, an eyebrow archs "Over...seas?" He finds that curious but decides not to ask further"I will of course read in in full before signing it,not to worry on that"    He shakes the ferret's paw.

"Ah, but of course- forgive me." Atticus bows his head. "Over seas, yes. The band you have joined is but a small part of a much larger operation - we are the eastern and most northernly branch of the company called the Band of Merchants, formed from several city states along the great sea. Halyard is our main port in this land and I, and my lord, Urtas, who is currently residing in Redwall Abbey, have been tasked with expanding inland. Hence why I wished - and still wish - to make Ferravale, or perhaps a new village, a river port so we can all the more easily transfer goods and the like both to the sea, to Halyard, and to here, Mossflower. A greater connection, as it were."   

"Now come, friend, I should introduce you to my friends."   

Kage nods as he goes to follow Atticus and lets him lead the way to the camp that was mentioned, there he will fully read,look for small print on the contract before he signs it.

I am :
Velm-Captain and Chief Healer at Salamandstron
Jaison-Soon to be Master Healer at Redwall
Kage-Healer,Posion,Asssassin, Evil

Board footer