Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-09 01:21:29 PM

Ol'random
Website

Concerning Cole - Long Patrol 4/2/22

Pvt Cole, MSgt Terrence, & Mjr Varus

In recent months, the (currently secret) base of the Long Patrol that was once the home of the 23rd in days long past has once again become a hub of hare activity. In light of tension rising in Halyard, it was thought making the long disused caverns near to the village the forward position of the Patrol would be prudent - in case the worst came to pass, an able bodied group of hares would be ready to immediately respond to whatever threat rose in the town - and arguably more importantly a message could be sent the hours-long trip back to Salamandastron to give the general patrol far more warning.

But, thankfully, there has been no need so far to send a warning back to HQ or for the hares in the 23rd base to sally forth to fight. Several scouting missions to keep an eye on Halyard and their mysterious allies have been conducted (such as the lieutenant Lossow's mission), with at least one small squad of hares going out a day. But now the place was a little more packed than usual but not for an up coming mission; no, currently the majority of the main company of the Mountain Patrol sat waiting inside the base for their turn in the head office. Lance-Corporal Katerose Burnfield happens to exit the room at that time, wiping her brow. The healer nods to Cole who is next in line, whispering, "Good luck!" as she passes.

Inside Terrence sits behind the desk to left, while the medical officer lieutenant Redford Mosswood sits to the far right. There are several other hares in the room, such as the quartermaster, who sits in the corner. "She's a good medic, for sure." The master-sergeant murmurs as he collects a few papers and sets them aside. "NEXT!" Terrence calls out to the hallway.

Cole frowns, at first it seems he rather not go in, but then again others are so it's not just him seeing the officers and he has had to be in the office a couple times  for getting into slight trouble. He takes a deep breath and walks into the office, gets a salute and stands at attention "Sur.."

Varus is sat at the largest desk at the far end of the room, wearing his dress uniform with all the special medals. To better instil a bit of respect in the younger hares, of course. "She's a bloody good medic, I agree. But I'm not sure she's quite 23rd material, wot. But, we shall see." He refused all suggestions to get some rest and let Terrence handle this task alone, despite the raging migraine he's having again. "Who is next up? Private Cole? I don't remembah th' lad." Then the door opens and the hare in question comes in and salutes. He squints at the Private through his spectacles. "Step forwahd, Private. We 'aven't got all bloomin' day, wot!"

"At ease, private Cherrywood," Terrence gives the hare a small smile (contrasting the major), "Please," he waves a paw to the single chair on the opposite side of the big desk, "Sit, and we'll begin."

"You became a private the same season as your brother, yes? That would been the..." He glances at the file in front of him, adjusting his reading glasses, "The 20th season of our Badger Lord Ciocan's reign, correct? Which," he adds, his eyes focused on Cole, "Brings up what I imagine is still a sore matter for you, your brother. I apologise, but it is true you two were always together. I'm sorry about his loss, as we all are - he was a good hare." The master sergeant pauses for a moment of silence. "But, more importantly now, how have you been doing since his passing?"

Cole does sit down in the chair, he nods "We... joined at the same time, yes." He stays quiet as the Sergeant speaks and then shrugs "I... ummm, well doing better than I was sur." Shortly after his twin brother's death the private was basically mute for a few weeks, then finally starting talking and of course some were not too thrilled and others were just glad he seemed to be feeling better. He would report for training drills and just not do much else, recently he has gotten... a tiny bit back to his self.

Terrence nods. "That's good to hear, and I mean that - you worried myself and others." Leaning back in his chair he holds up the file. "Now, I suppose I should tell you how this meeting will go, to make things smoother, hopefully. Firstly, I would like to ask you to give a brief summary of your career since you joined - what missions you've done, what action you've seen, any wounds you may have received, et cetera, et cetera," he waves his paw, setting the file back down. "After that, the good lieutenant here will ask you a bit about your medical history and your general health, and following that we'll all probably have a few questions to ask. We'll do our best to make this go as quickly as possible and make sure you're comfortable, rest assured."

The master-sergeant takes off his reading glasses and leans forward towards Cole. "Now then, Private Cole Cherrywood, would you like to say or add anything before we begin? Or do you simply wish to begin your account?"

Varus looks down over his own copy of the file, and then looks back up at Cole. "I may 'ave a few questions f'r you at th' end o' yahr account."

Cole nods his head as he can do a brief history "Okay... well just de normal recruit training. I had first studying... healing a little but then became a runner. I remember one mission... I helped when the patrol went to rescue the... dibbuns. I was in Halyard a short while..." He frowns "I remember that, that wildcat, he managed to keep me captive but then he sort of... let me go oddly enough"

"Ah, yes, I remember that voyage to the island." Terrence nods, "Though I must admit I forgot you were there as well!" He laughs. "Strange time.... But as for the past summer, I never heard fully your tale, I believe. Slaw was at the mountain with me and helped much with the defence." With a sigh he adds, "Alas for him. But you - that Zoltar," the hare narrows his eyes, "He just... let you go? Why? He didn't let the other captives free - they either escaped or were killed by the damnable vermin. Why were you set free?"

Varus leans forward, his elbows on the desk. Steepling his fingers, he eyes Cole. "Aye, I want t' know this answer as well. Do not e'en think o' hidin' th' truth from us, Lad."

Cole shrugs "I... don't know" He smirks "Maybe he feared me or something or he knew Slaw would like kick his behind if he keep me captive cause he would soooooo of done that, really he would of... me and Slaw were always doing stuff together most of de time" And of course he rambles some as he speaks, but then stops likely cause one of the officers give him a stop rambling look. He frowns a bit.

Terrence had been in charge of the gate when the wildcat had practically thrown the poor private at them. Feared is one way to put that, sure. Admittedly he was eating lunch and missed the incident, but he had heard a bit about it: the great Zoltar seemed to be at the end of his wits because of Cole. "Slaw was within the mountain and I doubt he would have been able to save you - or really any other hare. I cannot stress enough that it was an incredibly dangerous position you were in, do you understand that? You could have been killed very easily. Thankfully, you weren't - but still."

Varus picks up his quill and starts jotting some notes on the parchment before him. "Are y' sure it's not because y' offahed t' become a spy f'r this... Zoltahr fellow?"

Cole chuckles slightly but his ears do drop now, he was a bit less mature then and has since grow up in a way and become a lot less reckless, less fights with other privates as well, even less rambling unless he is nervous or excited maybe over something. He folds his paws in his lap  now ,a more serious tone "I... I know sur, and I am sorry for... likely being a fool that day, you are right, I could of died or some other beast could of died because of me. I am glad no one died cause of me cause...." He is quiet and finally finds words "Losing someone hurts, like a lot sur and just cause one is a patrol hare or even ons in higher rank... it doesn't mean they are 100 % safe from injury and danger..." He looks at Varus "I would  never be a spy for vermin... sur... I am loyal ta the Long Patrol, I would never turn against them." He frowns "I think maybe the wildcat didn't like me... ummm... insulting him or going on and.. .on about why he did what he did and... such"

The Private sits up better now "The patrol is like family and the mountain is my home, I love the mountain and yes a lot are not really my friends but I would still protect them, I would protect the mountain and any other helpless beast that needs me help, a Long Patrol hare is brave, they help the defenseless and they are loyal to his Lordship"

Terrence pinches the bridge of his snout at the major's words, though he regains his composure almost immediately - enough to give Cole sympathetic glance at the mention of loss. He clears his throat when Cole finishes.

"Sir, if I may..." He begins, "In addition to Private Cherrywood's own statement I wish to make it very clear that I very much doubt any of our hares would ever have offered to serve that creature. And Cole already mentioned the fact his brother was safe inside the mountain - or at least Slaw was as safe as he could be; I doubt even more that the private would betray his own brother to a band of murderers such as the vermin were."

Varus looks over at Terrence. "Yahr remahks are noted. We'll discuss the reasonin' f'r mah question aftah th' Private 'as left th' room. Is tha' undahstood?" He looks back at Cole. "Please, carry on."

Cole is not sure how to go on, he has answered what was needed after all "Other missions I was on... helped rebuild the dock in Halyard, did a couple patrols of the  town... village?" He shrugs on wether its a town or village "As for injuries no life threatening ones sur... suppose I been lucky"

Back straightening, Terrence bows his head. "Of course sir, understood." Lt. Redford twiddles his thumbs, doing his best to not look at either the major or master-sergeant.

"I was second-command under the now retired- Elbio's leadership for those missions, and if I recall you did behave yourself in the town." He casts a sideways glance at the medical officer.

"Oh, of course-" Redford stands, holding his clipboard. "No life threatening injuries, you say? Good! Have you suffered any mino' injuries? Or sickness, or such things as headaches?"

This is the first time the medical officer has spoken since Cole entered the room.

Varus remains quiet, though the scratch of his quill on parchment is sign that he's still taking notes.

Cole nods "I miss de Lt. I wonder how he is doing." He listens to the healer "A... couple black eyes, I sprang an ankle a couple times. Ummm had an arrow leave a sort of little cut on me lower arm" He has a small scar for that one... "Headaches maybe once in a great while but not like bad ones... oh had a real bad  stomach ache once... Slaw claimed he could eat more than me.. .heee hee"H e hmms "I don't remember who won..."

"Hmm, yes, yes." Redford replies, writing something down, "Well, nothing reoccurring would you say? I.e.; would you say you are in good health?"

Cole nods "I... yeah I am in good health and try to stay that way, tis important for a Long Patrol member to stay healthy and stay in shape."

Varus looks over his spectacles at the hare, hmming to himself.

"Very good then!" Redford sits back down. "I don't have much more to ask you, frankly. I know Terrence here runs the whole lot of you ragged in training, of course, eh?" He chuckles for a moment before seeing Terrence's expression.

"So then," the master sergeant speaks again, "We did skip over your recent history. You do not have to recount it if you do not wish to, Private Cole, but I will ask that you please speak of your days since the past summer, including the aftermath of your brother's death."

Cole frowns deeply now and just goes silent, not speaking right away, he holds back tears that threaten to fall, he takes a moment to then speak "I... I remember being told bout his... death and we didn't know who it was at first and when we found out I... well was shocked sur, I thought of finding the one who killed him and telling them off but at the same time I was told ta stay in the mountain and I did stay at the mountain. His Lordship gave me a few days off, kind of stayed in my room mostly." He sighs "I know that... snake was around on de shore but its gone now..." He looks at Terrence "I also remember... I was one of the hares that helped find..." He shakes his head "Find... Zolomon hiding place and no I didn't  try to fight him that would of been unwise." He thinks a while and "As fer... the rest of summer and autumn, been doing more time in the training room, getting stronger and did some reading in the library too." It is true he has been getting into less and less trouble and he only got in trouble once for over oversleeping one morning.

Nodding, Terrence is quiet for a moment. "That'll do, private - I suppose now we'll ask you some questions, then let you go. Understood?" He gives Cole another small smile, "You'll be free of us soon enough. Major, sir, or lieutenant? Any questions for the young private?"

Varus nods, and looks down at his notes, then back at Cole. "Aye, I've got a question. Private Cole... I'd like t' ask y' wot bein' in th' Patrol means t' you."

Varus says, "Wot is yahr drive...Yahr motivation f'r bein' Patrollah."

Cole blinks "Wot it... means?" He then replies "Well it means... being able to help others, and protecting de shores from danger. It means... well, trying me best to be a respected beast.. .me and Slaw  grew up in the mountain"

Cole says, "I know I am not always... serious and I have been grumbled at at times, but I am trying to do better and... well honor me brother Slaw, make him proud."

"A fair enough reason as any," Terrence comments.

Redford tilts his head, eyeing the private. "Well that's all jolly, but I shall ask you another question, if I'm able to not quite explicitly state the reason for this meeting and the others, of course," he glances briefly at Terrence and Varus, "Could you eve' see yourself in a leadership position in the patrol, by chance? Meaning an officer, that is - leading hares to fight undah your command, and possibly dying undah yours as well. Furthermore, would you want to be in that position in the first place?"

Cole needs to think a while on that question "I... I honestly don't know sur... I..." If this was a brief few seasons ago he jump at the chance to tell others what to do but no he  looks unsure now, and finally "Can I... think on it and let ya know... later?"

Varus looks over at Terrence, and Redford. "Take all th' time y' need, this is just a routine staff review."

Terrence raises a brow. Cole seems to have surprised him with that. Redford, however, nods along with the major's words. "Indeed! Though it might have little effect on the outcome of this meeting in the meantime, so do not worry!"

A long silence follows before the master sergeant speaks up again as he stands: "Alright, if that is all, Private Cole Cherrywood!" He gives a salute, "You are free to go - and please tell the next hare," he glances briefly at one of the papers on the desk, "Addersmith, I believe.... May have messed up the paperwork, but oh well - anyway, please tell him to wait until called, as we must discuss something in private. Understood? Dismissed!"

Cole nods, he salutes "Sur." And heads out to let the next hare know they are next and to only come in when they are called. He then goes back to what ever he was doing before he was called into the office.

Last edited by Ol'random (2022-04-09 01:32:28 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer