Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-10 10:19:35 AM

Mika

Vermin Backstory Advice

So, as a new player I'm trying to brainstorm a good backstory for my vixen Snarlfang. Her vague character thrust is that she was a former slave to searats that won her freedom by selling them out to a mercenary band, and eventually picked up the life of a wandering sword for hire. Willing to do just about anything for coin, but also with a slight honorable streak, she's more of a survivalist than an outright evil beast at her core.

Any advice for spicing up her background other than the bare bones? Are there any on muck pirate crews that she might have tricked? Basically looking for tidbits to flesh her out with, or just vermin shenanigans in general! Feel free to fling ideas at me, thank you!

#2 2022-03-10 12:19:03 PM

Leon

Re: Vermin Backstory Advice

Ferravale is a vermin village, but not like power-hungry vermin and Ferraale has a peace treaty ith Redwall Abbey.

I play
Cota-grandson of Dorarose
Micco-Leader of the Gawtribe

#3 2022-03-10 03:34:12 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

You seem to have a very good idea for a backstory for her, so I suggest just hopping into RP and developing more details that way.  I think that's the best way to develop a character's backstory, is to just see what you come up with and what fits as you write them smile

You're welcome to hop in anywhere; I run Blisa, the Chieftain of Ferravale, and I can attest that we're always looking for more players!  You could also have her be in Halyard.  Redwall welcomes anyone who isn't out to harm people or become an enemy of the Abbey and all other good creatures, so if Snarlfang would fit that description, she could go to Redwall, too smile  But please, join us in our RPs, and welcome!

#4 2022-03-10 04:51:52 PM

Mika

Thank you both! I'll certainly leap in soon! Excited to see you all on the grid!

#5 2022-03-10 09:06:27 PM

oz

Welcome to muck smile

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#6 2022-03-15 07:15:48 PM

wallace

In my experience it's best to start from a two or three word summary (like "timid squirrel novice" or "jaded old mercenary") and throw yourself into a scene. You'll fairly quickly either:

(1) click with the character, get into the flow of their persona, and start fleshing them out,
(2) rewrite everything you planned for them based on how you feel, they'd react during RP, or
(3) realize that the character doesn't work and you can't get inside their head, and make another one.

That's been a pretty solid formula for me for 15+ years, but really everyone's different -- do what feels best to you. The biggest thing is don't be afraid to try something, or start something with someone.

Last edited by wallace (2022-03-15 07:16:44 PM)

I play Wallace and Adyna, and spoof many more. Page me if you need help.

Board footer