Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-03 03:13:21 PM

Ol'random
Website

Another Squirrel at Redwall - 3/2/22

John and Sara, squirrels

The late winter sunlight comes weakly down through the cloud layer with unfortunately still enough light to reflect off the snow and into John's eyes. He stands atop atop the wall of the abbey overlooking the road, thankful for the general desertion the snow has caused. It was quiet.

Up the road from the south comes a figure, at first just a dark dot against the snowy background, but before long resolving into a somewhat shabby looking squirrelmaid. She walks at a tired and footsore trudge, and from the way she occasionally glances wearily around herself it seems she's not familiar with her surroundings. But as she nears the abbey it's those tall walls her eyes are fixed on, and she pauses to squint up at the ramparts.

John isn't exactly doing much to hide his presence, and his head at least can be seen framed against the sky above the ramparts.

"Hullo!" He calls down, having spotted the other squirrel. "Th'gates a wee bit more up, if that's what ye're aiming fore!"

Saro's single visible ear perks up noticeably at the words from above, and she gives a hasty nod and a wave. "I'll be comin' up that way, then! Thank you, good sir!" With that, she gets the hustle on, evidently having caught a second wind!

Saro charts a brisk course for the gates, looking willing to move her weary feet a little faster with respite in sight. She also pulls herself up a bit straighter and puts a little bit of a jaunty swing into her tail, as if to make a better entrance.

Not immediately moving as the squirrel maid moves up the road, John disappears behind the walls eventually. There's some time before the gates are open - some sort of disagreement maybe - but the sound of the various locks being undone are unmistakable.

Saro stares at the gate hard enough that one might think she expected it to open from the force of her gaze alone, and then looks somewhat relieved when the noise of the locks makes clear that it really is going to be unbolted for her. Dusting herself off, she puts on a smile that would be disarming if it weren't so tired.

The right gate slowly creaks open - the squirrel, John, had to rope one of the abbey novices (....who may or may not also had access to the keys...) into help push the door open. "Sorry 'bout th'wait, no' many are up and about today, there aren't." He grunts, brushing his paws off and offering one to shake. "And Ah'm no' thae usual welcoming part, neither. Ah'm John MacGarran, by th'by. Ye are...?"

"Good day and fair weather to you, friends!" The squirrel's greeting is given in a strong voice, to John and the hapless novice and whoever else might be around to hear, with an accompanying bow before she puts out her paw to return the shake. "Saro Stormbreeze, seeking entrance to your fine.." She ponders a moment. "..Abbey?" she finishes questioningly. "Er, is this Redwall?"

"Aye, that it is." John nods. "Abbey of Redwall, though Ah'm no' one of its members, truth b'told. Th'mouse here is, though," he adds as an after thought, waving a paw to the afore mentioned novice (who looks like they're focused on much rather being inside and out of the cold than standing in the gateway).

"Suppose Ah should've asked already, but where d'ye come from? Southwards?"

Saro nods back to John, confirming, "Aye, southwards... a long way southwards." The remembrance of the journey seems to sap some of her renewed energy from her, and her tail loses some of its jauntiness again. With a wry and tired smile she adds, "So long as you've the authority to have the gates opened to let a weary traveler in from the cold, I'd not care if you were a scurvy scullery rat."

It's clear her way into the abbey isn't going to barred by any beast now, and John raises a brow. "Authority might b'stretching th'truth a wee bit, but order likes tae invite beasts in regardless of me being there ore no'." He points back to the main building. "Ah suppose ye'll b'wanting t'go inside and warm up, nae doubt. Ah'm certain th'good novice here'll help scrounge up a warm meal from th'kitchens, if ye want it."

"I'd be most grateful, friend John." Saro indeed sounds grateful, and she touches her beret respectfully. "I haven't got much to offer in return - some music on the flute, mayhaps, a song or two - but believe me, the hospitality is appreciated." Moving closer to the entrance as John points back at the abbey proper, she asks with a smile, "Might it be too much to ask for your company as my guide to this place?"

There's a moment or so where John glances back up to the walls, his face scrunching a bit - he really did like the peace and quiet - but it soon morphs into friendlier expression. "Alright, then. Ah did spend plenty of time 'round here in mah youth, so Ah'm no' likely t'get ye lost - fore th'most part," he adds with a wry grin, already moving through the yard. "Th' big building's mostly th'Great Hall, more ore less th'center of thae Abbey - dorms, kitchens, and th'like are all connected, they are."

Saro catches John's glance up to the walls, and it's possible she even realizes something of the sentiment behind it, but even so she doesn't seem inclined to let her "guide" escape straightaway. Instead she falls in with him as he makes his way across the yard, seeming almost relieved to have someone else to walk with for a bit. She nods attentively to his description of the Abbey, asking, "Are you from this area originally? If not the abbey, then the woods around it?"

"Neither," John replies, "From up by th'north-east sea, near enough t'that port city Collinsel." The 'guide' slowly makes his way up the steps to the Great Hall's doors. "Ah should mention both thae abbot and friar here are squirrels as well, and that ye're no' th'first one thae abbey's had come here this winter. Ah'm only recently returned mahself, and th'day afore that a white furred squirrel came here, ore so Ah've been told." Opening the door just enough to be able to go inside, he does so while trying his best to not let too much of the frigid air inside.

"Collinsel, eh?" Saro follows John up the steps, not without several more glances around at the snowy grounds. "Don't think I've heard tell of it, but then the northeast sea is leagues off from anything I'd know." After giving her footpaws a few conscientious stamps on the top step to knock the snow free, she slips sideways through the narrowly opened door, pausing just across the threshold either to take in the sight or simply to savor being out of the wind and weather. "And a white-furred squirrel, too?" she asks, tilting her head quizzically. "Not anyone I met on the road - I'd've recalled that, for certain sure."

"Nae doubt," John nods rubbing his paws together. The Great Hall is nearly empty with the fire in the hearth burning low. "Th'kitchen'll have food, though th'good friar's no' one t'take idle paws with th'most friendly of attitudes, he's no'." He points to the seven stairs leading down across the hall. "Down there's Carvern Hole, th'main place th'order likes t' take meals - th'stairs leading up." He gestures to the other side, "leads tae place like th'infirm, dorms, and guest rooms and th'like."

Saro shivers as they near the fire, as if shaking off the cold now that they're near a source of marked warmth. She listens with particular attentiveness to the mention of the kitchen, and proclaims stoutly, "I'll chop vegetables and scrub pots for a few bites to eat, and not give your friar a moment's offense!" Her eyes catch on the tapestry of Martin the Warrior as they near it, and she stops to tilt her head at it wonderingly. She starts to say something, but then looks back at John and appears to decide against pestering the poor squirrel with more questions.

"Ha, well, as long as ye know what ye're doing," John laughs again, "Lacota's th'friar, and he shouldn't give much trouble. So then, is there anything ye'd b'curious about?"

That opening from John is clearly too much! Saro hesitates one solitary instant before flicking her tail towards the tapestry and asking with great curiosity, "Who's that there, then! He looks like some kind of real hero. Was he from the abbey? Are there songs about him?"

John blinks. Stopping for the first in seasons to examine the tapestry, he tilts his head to one side. "...Martin's th'mouse, Ah think. Th'founder ore champion, though Ah'm no' sure which tae b'frank. There are certain tae b'songs as well, though if ye're looking fore anything recorded Ah'd suggest th'library, over yonder -" he gestures to the door leading off. "There's plenty tae b'found in th' section with all th'poems, but Ah've rarely gone t'that part of th'room."

Saro's left ear quivers ecstatically - libraries! poems! - and she gives John a few eager nods. "I'll be sure to go take a look at your library - if that's all right with your, er, librarian." She gazes at the tapestry with inquiring admiration for a little longer. "He looks like a champion, for certain sure," she opines. Then she grins a little sheepishly. "But that can wait for later. For now.. if it really is all right.. I think I could use a bit of rest."

"Alright then," John nods slowly, "Ah suppose Ah should be getting back t'th' walls, tae. Just talk tae one of th'novices ye see ore order members, and Ah'm sure they'll get ye settled in the guest rooms, Ah am." The squirrel walks over to the fire and crouches down to prod life back into it. "Welcome t'Redwall and Mosslfower, by th'by."

Saro doesn't quite suppress the hint of a rueful grin as John mentions the peaceful walls she took him away from, and she tells him with a mix of apology and gratitude, "Thank you for taking the time to show me around, friend John. It's been a long while since I had a bit of friendly conversation, and the welcome is much appreciated. Stay warm out there." She smiles again, tilts her head amiably, and makes a quick beeline for the kitchens.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer