Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-21 01:50:55 AM

Ol'random
Website

That Conversation with the Abbot, finally - Redwall 2/19/22

Abbot Benar and John, squirrels, & Brother Gorvenalus, a beaver

While it was true John had meant to seek out the abbot as quick as he could when he first arrived, it became very apparent that his urgency may have been unfounded. Nothing was amiss in the abbey or Mossflower beyond nor was there even a hint or rumour of trouble. So the squirrel allowed himself to relax for the first time since the previous winter, when he set out for the Western Shore.

But now he's had his fill of easy living and figured he should probably chat with the elder squirrel if he can get the chance. So John has been wandering the halls looking for the father abbot.

Benar steps in from outside, the abbot removing his cloak and shaking some of the snow out of it. He pauses and smiles at John, moving toward them, "Hello there, how are you doing? It has been awhile since I last saw you"

"Been a long while since Ah were here last," John replies, "Which might explain that. An' Ah've no' done much th'past days Ah've been here, Ah've no'." The squirrel looks around the large hall. "Thae Abbey seems in good shape, which is good. Seems every o'er time Ah get back here there's something or another wrong, there is. Mighty glad that's no' th'case nowadays."

Benar asks, "Yes we are all doing well, it has been a quiet winter," he says softly with a smile, "I have been getting in a lot of pottery, it has been nice," he looks around the hall, "How was your journey here? Have you been anywhere nice?"

"Only t' th' western shore and back, t' be frank no' much Ah can call nice." The younger squirrel shrugs. "Ah'm mighty glad t'see that wee badger dibbun made it back safe, Ah am. After Ah handed him off t' those hares Ah hadnae a clue what happened till Ah got back here." John straightens his back slightly, his attention shifting wholly onto Benar "Which reminds me, father abbot, why Ah came back. There haven't anything alarming t'report in th'past few seasons, have there?"

Benar sits down in his chair and curls his tail, "Well there was a murder in Ferravale, that was alarming... especially as it was committed by a hare... he was banished from Mossflower, but other then that nothing else has really happened."

Gorvenalus comes down from the library steps with two novices who stand behind him, he smiles as he speaks "You can go now lads, thank you for helping me dust and straighten up bookbinding room." The two novice smile and quickly head past the beaver and into Cavern hole as the beaver shakes his head "No running...." He sighs and then glaces at the other two "Hello, hope your day is well so far"

John remains standing where he was, his head tilting to one side. "A hare, ye say? An' who were that?" He adds after a moment. "-No' that Ah wish t'drag up some bad business, of course. Beyond that there's been nothing?" He seems relieved, genuinely. "Here Ah'd feared, well," when the recorder arrives he trails off, nodding to the beaver. "Hullo there."

Benar says, "I am afraid I do not wish to speak their name, they are dead and gone to the Black Forest we should... leave it at that," he said softly, "Oh hello Gorvenalus"

Gorvenalus nods, he knows of whom the abbot speaks of but for now he doesn't share. "Hello my friend. I been in the library most of the day."

"Alright then." John nods, slowly, "Ah shan't push thae issue, donnae ye worry." Falling quiet, it seems as if the squirrel is lost in thought.

Benar asks, "So what is it like travelling in winter these seasons? It has been a long time since I did a long journey in the winter"

Gorvenalus goes to sit down in a chair, "I for one rather travel in warm weather. I dislike the cold weather in Mossflower, it didn't snow much  on the shores where Willowbark is. Once in a while it might snow"

"Ah prefer traveling in warm weather meself," John says with a sideline glance at the beaver, "But sadly need seems t'demand traveling through sleet and snow and th' like, so it does. And there's no' much t'say on that front, either. 'Twas cold, damp, though Ah dae admit th'way all turns quiet under th'snow is pleasant and peaceful enough. Ah like it well enough." He adds as an after thought, "And this time Ah weren't tracking some murdering vermin through th' weather."

Benar says, "Well ... I am glad you were not having to track down a murderer," he says softly, "I am sad Elbio was unable to return to the Abbey with you from the shore. But I guess he will return in the Spring, so now you are here are you planning to stay for awhile?"

Gorvenalus tilts his head at the mention of Elbio and frowns "There... was some news about him recently, from Rufus. It seems the letter he had, got lost. But I do remember the main part of it."

The name Elbio was vaguely familiar to John. "He were one of those hares, weren't he?" He rubs the back of his neck. "Now th'thing is, mah last encounter with them weren't on th'best of terms. Had t'stay in Halyard fore some time, on account of recovering from a battle there, an' stayed on t' help th'locals once th'fighting were done. Something bad were on th'prowl, Ah'd felt, and th' patrol nearly got entangled like Ah meself did. Th'reason Ah'm back here were t'see if th'same sort of trouble wouldnae be brewing here afore long. Thankfully that doesnae seem th'case, but aye, Ah'm planning on sticking 'round here fore a while longer, just in case."

Benar says, "Well... no trouble here John, we've not had anyone strange nosing around and really there isn't much anyone can really do to the Abbey... and I doubt the Chieftan in Ferravale would tolerate anything."

Gorvenalus nods "I like the peace, now the letter.... what happen..." He frowns trying to fully remember as old age can  make one forget and it was a busy day that day "Oh yeah... I had told a novice to make sure you got it to  read all of it and the novice got in soaking wet in a rain puddle... I did try to safe the letter and failed badly, so I don't remember the details but Lt. Elbio is not coming back,he is gonna stay in... Halyard with his daughter Ciana." He frowns "He was ambushed and hurt badly, ended up in a wheeled chair, it was near end of summmer the end of autumn when the letter came"

Benar says, "Oh... that is a shame," he sighs, "I must have missed that news.... I liked Elbio, it was nice to have the perspective of one of the Long Patrol around."

"Nae, Ah don't suppose that cat would." John murmurs. "Well, Ah shan't complain then, and it might be th'case Ah'm a wee bit tae wary, this time." Finally finding a seat, the younger squirrel seems to relax a bit. "Ah've been keeping mah ear and eyes open since Ah got back, but nothing much t'say on that front, thankfully." When the news about the hare is broken, John remains politely quiet. He did not really know the hare nor could he put a face to the name.

Gorvenalus says, "I did as well like the Lt... But yes peace is good and I believe the abbey will have the winter feast soon"

Benar says, "Ah well, I am sure he will be very happy on the shore with Ciana," he stands up and shakes out his habit, "I am glad you are home John but do try to relax the abbey is safe and secure"

"Ah've been around long enough t'point t'several instances it weren't," John laughs, "But fore now Ah'll d'mah best and take yore advice. Ah'm no' planning nor eager t'gae out wandering while snow's on th'ground, Ah'm no'."

Gorvenalus says, "Any threats are likely a good distance away. We do have the GUOSIM, Camp Willow to also  keep an eye out for trouble. I wonder whee the GUOSIM are,I do hope they are alright  during the winter"

Benar says, "Well for now I for one am glad it is quiet," he smiled, "Now I should return to my office, but it was good to see you John, Gorvenalus."

Gorvenalus nods "Have a good eve Benar"

Dipping his head, John stands as well. "Of course, abbot. Farewell." He glances at the beaver. "Ah cannae say Ah share that sentiment, of course. Those shrews are about as like t'dibbuns as beasts can get, and frankly Ah might trust th'wee ones of this abbey t'keep watch better than them." He gives another laugh, yet his tone is semi-serious. "Th'otters though - Ah've no' heard much of them since back in th'days when Pyke and th'like were about. Weren't th'camp ruined?"

Gorvenalus says, "I think I did read something in the abbey logs. Yes camp Willow was destroyed but they have fixed it up some." He is quiet and then speaks "I do know who ambushed Elbio... they were the same hare in Ferravale, and the sea gull had news of him"

"Tae ye now?" John raises a brow. "Well, th'abbot said the beast were dead, so Ah shan't pry further." Something does tug at the back of his mind however, though he can't quite figure out what it is.

Gorvenalus seems to debate on saying the name "A lot hate the hare now, he was a sargeant.... well before he was kicked out of the Long Patrol. I did write some about it in the abbey logs"

"He were a murderer, so th'hate is understandable." John sits back down turning is face from the recorder, his voice dark. "Even if that hasnae stopped beasts in thae abbey forgiving some..." The squirrel shakes his head. "Seasons back Ah ran intae another hare like thae one ye and thae abbot described. Strange beast he were, though Ah learned he died soon after."

Gorvenalus asks, "Another hare or maybe the same one?"

"Less th'hare were banished from here back when th'last war came through Mossflower, Ah doubt it." John shrugs. "Were at least seven seasons ago. Though Ah did see a hare on th'western shore recently, come t'think of it. Could've been Patrol, but Ah weren't interested in getting tae close, Ah weren't."

Gorvenalus says, "Likely a good plan just in case." He sighs now and looks tired "I have no clue why a hare would turn bad, maybe  the hare just had a lot going on even when others tried to help him. The hare was best friends with Xander Winters.... and I am sure Xander likely had some.... perhaps words when the hare ended the dark forest, anyways I am tried and need to get some sleep."

The pieces fall into place at the mention of the late badger. "It were that hare?" John had only met him once or twice. "He'd always stuck me as a braggart and a wee naive, but no' a murderer... Hmm. Either way, he did little in thae end t'help Xander in life or avenge his death, it seems."

Gorvenalus frowns "Yes... Zolomon is the hare, but the hare is dead, that's true. You helped to track down the wildcat and yu helped make sure young Oz  got home, for that all is glad"

John gives a grim laugh. "In thae end that wildcat needn't me t' track him; he made enough of a ruckus by th'time he made it t'th' western lands." Standing the squirrel begins to stretch. "Ye mentioned sleep, so Ah shan't keep ye, recorder."

Gorvenalus gives a simple nod and heads to his room.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer